ALKO Stabiliser problem part

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Doing a routine job , which I done for many years, I removed the side friction pads from my AKS2004/3004 stabiliser for a clean. On pad was knocked out as usual but the other pad fell out easily when knocked.
So what normally holds the pads in ?
I cannot find any debris/remains on the pebbles where the van is.

I have searched the internet for a decent diagram to find out if the pads are normally retained by a circlip or rubber ring, etc and how to fix it but to no avail. Can I get what I need to fix the problem. I cannot believe this doesn't happen to others. I can see a groove in the problem hole and possibly a circlip in the other hole - all very inaccessible.

Help please.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
There should be small ‘O’ rings that hold the friction pads in. When you knock the pads out of the head, the ‘O’ rings “should” stay in situ. It sounds like one has fallen out. If that is the case you’ll need a new ‘O’ ring as they twist if they come out and probably aren’t reusable. They can be a pig to get in the right place too!

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you blow up [say 400% in your browser] Fig 16 in the following document, you will see an "O" ring groove machined in the outer end of the tube into which the pad shaft fits.
This "O" ring adds the friction to hold the pad back in its correct place.

Manual

Also refer to Fig 20 in the maintenance section, where it shows that the pad shaft should be lubricated, IMO. to facilitate fitting and removing the pad's shaft past this "O" ring without dragging it or chopping it. I use a smear of silicone grease. Of course don't get any lubricant on the friction surface.

I would definitely remove the whole head to reinsert these "O" rings.
But when knocking the aft securing bolt out do this using a rod spacer the length of the tube's diameter, this holds the damper from moving out of place. Study figures 5 >9a.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When I changed my pads last year I had an 'O' ring split and to get a new one,
back in the recess I just look down the inside with a torch saw the recess and got the 'O' ring back in with a slim screwdriver,

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all your prompt replies, obviously we are working from home !

I have a box of assorted 'O' rings or are they an ALKO special at special prices of course ?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO, the "O" ring is not doing a challenging sealing like task, just a method of adding enough friction that if the head turns whilst off the ball there is no chance of the pad moving to be in the way and damaged as the ball enters. If one fits I would go with it.

Reactions: camel
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
IMO, the "O" ring is not doing a challenging sealing like task, just a method of adding enough friction that if the head turns whilst off the ball there is no chance of the pad moving to be in the way and damaged as the ball enters. If one fits I would go with it.
The 'O' ring is just there to hold the pad in place,

May 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I just stumbled across this thread researching the same issue with the o rings, both of mine have sadly perished! As has been stated I can see the only use for these is to hold the friction pads in place, so my question is really, do I need to replace them as obviously when towing the tow ball will hold them in place and when not towing the “ball lock” serves the same purpose? Thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I just stumbled across this thread researching the same issue with the o rings, both of mine have sadly perished! As has been stated I can see the only use for these is to hold the friction pads in place, so my question is really, do I need to replace them as obviously when towing the tow ball will hold them in place and when not towing the “ball lock” serves the same purpose? Thanks

My advice remains the same:

"IMO, the "O" ring is not doing a challenging sealing like task, just a method of adding enough friction that if the head turns whilst off the ball there is no chance of the pad moving to be in the way and damaged as the ball enters. If one fits I would go with it."

As said, the danger as I see it is without the grip of the "O" ring a pad "might" get displaced enough for the ball entering to apply a bending moment to what to me looks a rather fragile pad stem.

If these stemmed side pads are moulded from the same material as the other shell of friction material, that's certainly brittle.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts