ALKO STABILIZER

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
My Alko 2000 has always been a bit awkward to release from the car upon arrival at a site unless car / caravan were perfectly in line. However recently it has proved difficult to release even when straight. The handle simply won't lift to unlock from the tow ball. Any suggestions? I know that I must keep oil/grease from ther friction pads but is it possible to introduce some lubrication in the area around the handle to help it release. I fear one day it will prove impossible!!

JSGJ

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There have been several threads on this subject in the past and the problem appears always to have been the coupling being right up against one of the end stops when trying to release. If the coupling has some freedom of movement back and forth, one doen't normally experience any difficulty.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The problem seems to be that these couplings are difficult to remove because the caravan brakes are on.

This will happen every time because when you stop the coupling will compress operating the brakes.

The thing to do is after stopping move forward an inch or two or push the caravan back by hand to release the brakes.

Which is probably the same as Lutz is saying, I think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jiggling with the motor mover is the easiest way of releasing it.

Last time out I had to pull the caravan up a double height ramp with the car and releasing the hitch was very difficult.

Letting off the car handbrake worked but you have to be careful on slopes as the car can be hard to catch as we once found out!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts