Alko wheel lock

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I’d pass on that I received the Alko wheel lock I ordered, should anyone be looking to purchase one the best price I could find was through CAMHC, you get a discount for being a member, it doesn’t save loads but every little helps, they quoted me almost 4 weeks delivery but was here within a week.

Fitting of said Alko was in my opinion an absolute doddle, I have a mover on the van and I am pretty sure if I hadn’t I don’t think I’d buy an Alko, the way I fitted it which was my first ever try took 5 minutes max, I used the mover to position the receiver pretty central, I then used the wheel specific orange bit and put that on the wheel and looked through the hole where the bolt and lock go and watched the wheel line up perfectly, then just tighten up the bolt and insert the lock, I pretty much regretted buying it I’d had a chance to try it, until I’d tried it , but I’d recommend it as long as you have a mover and it’s a single axle, must be a real pain fitting on a twin axle,

BP

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes a real pain on a TA. Usually needs a jack up to get both wheels aligned. Not that difficult just a faff especially if it’s muddy🤪

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
And a lot more time on a twin eh DD, I‘m going to worry much less now it’s fitted. The Alko has got a feel of strength about it which gives some comfort, I know nothing is completely theft proof but we do what we can, I fitted trackers for a living for more years than I care to remember and as a company they had a good record of recovery of stolen caravans but I’m not sure I’d want mine back if some dirty scrote had slept in it even for a single night, I fitted hundreds in caravans over the years but there seems to be less being fitted in caravans as years pass.

BP

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As I’ve said on this thread I’m pleased with the product, however the registration process in case replacement keys are needed which they remind you of over and over is rubbish, I went through the online process and there are bits of the registration missing but I continued to the end and when the last page was filled it just goes back to the beginning, I’m supposed to have an email confirmation that it’s registered but nothing, tried ringing them at 4pm and there’s a recording saying “we are at lunch until 1pm please call back” is this a joke? they also give you a number to call should you need replacement keys that is open Monday to Friday 9-5, again no answer at 4pm, am I getting grumpy in my old age or has aftersales service gone out the window as far as ALKO is concerned, the ALKO offices are only 20 minutes away from where I live so I might go and bang on the door there in next few days when I’m out that way, frustrated is an understatement as to how I feel about the service.
Lol I also tried using their online contact email form, pressed the send button and says ”sorry there’s an error with validation please try again” after 3 further attempts I gave up.
I wonder if Alko has gone down the toilet with lots of other companies during the pandemic, if they haven’t gone bust yet they probably will soon.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I’ve said on this thread I’m pleased with the product, however the registration process in case replacement keys are needed which they remind you of over and over is rubbish, I went through the online process and there are bits of the registration missing but I continued to the end and when the last page was filled it just goes back to the beginning, I’m supposed to have an email confirmation that it’s registered but nothing, tried ringing them at 4pm and there’s a recording saying “we are at lunch until 1pm please call back” is this a joke? they also give you a number to call should you need replacement keys that is open Monday to Friday 9-5, again no answer at 4pm, am I getting grumpy in my old age or has aftersales service gone out the window as far as ALKO is concerned, the ALKO offices are only 20 minutes away from where I live so I might go and bang on the door there in next few days when I’m out that way, frustrated is an understatement as to how I feel about the service.
Lol I also tried using their online contact email form, pressed the send button and says ”sorry there’s an error with validation please try again” after 3 further attempts I gave up.
I wonder if Alko has gone down the toilet with lots of other companies during the pandemic, if they haven’t gone bust yet they probably will soon.

BP
Sorry to hear of the problems. But you really do need to register as without registering Alko will not sanction keys and neither will the manufacturer of the lock.
I bought my lozenge pre owned without lock and keys from a caravan dealer via EBay, And a lock set and keys again pre owned which I then registered. Had the keys and lock delivered to a friends address a few miles from me. Just a precaution.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I had one a few years ago and fitted it using the motor mover.
Unfortunatly,when I arrived at the storage compound to go on holiday,I found this
20190826_132455.jpg

After many hours of trying everything to line up the "splines" a kind member here advised me to file off the outside "spline"on one of the keys,insert and line them both up.
It worked a treat although I was left with only 1 working key.
Wether the van had moved slightly,or I had tightened it up too tight,im not sure.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if that key problem has happened many times, did Alko offer any reason, as I said G& A I’m pleased with the kit, I’m not worrying about it not being registered yet but when there was no answer from the people who supply replacement keys it’s not good at all, I’ll try again with ringing again tomorro.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if that key problem has happened many times, did Alko offer any reason, as I said G& A I’m pleased with the kit, I’m not worrying about it not being registered yet but when there was no answer from the people who supply replacement keys it’s not good at all, I’ll try again with ringing again tomorro.

BP
I would be extremely surprised if they will supply a replacement key(S) without registering your ownership first. Be interested in the outcome.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well,that one stayed with our previous van when we part exchanged it.
Our newr van does have the Alko lock,and im sure if fitted properly is a good deterent.
However,after my experience,im now using a Milenco Wraith.
Maybe during this winter in the storage compound I may regester it in my name and try once more with it....fingers crossed🤭

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It's designed that way, the outer serated side rotates, you put the keyed part on, then rotate to align the second part. My hitch lock is the same.
As for aligning the wheel lock, I get the wheel lock as close to the center, and then chock the other wheel back and front, and pull /push the jockey wheel to alinge the lock. Very easy.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I tried everything to line them up.
Neither of the splines would budge.
Screwdrivers to gently try and prise them together.
Tried using the mover to maybe take pressure off.....jack up the van to try and move the wheel slightly as well.
I was there for about 4 hours.....I couldnt get any movement at all.
I couldnt get the outer edge(serated) to budge.
If a member here had'nt have made the suggestion,I would have still been there now.😂
Maybe I did tighten the nut too much.
Finger tight may have been enough.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tried everything to line them up.
Neither of the splines would budge.
Screwdrivers to gently try and prise them together.
Tried using the mover to maybe take pressure off.....jack up the van to try and move the wheel slightly as well.
I was there for about 4 hours.....I couldnt get any movement at all.
If a member here had'nt have made the suggestion,I would have still been there now.😂
Maybe I did tighten the nut too much.
Finger tight may have been enough.
Finger tight is plenty, the insert lock doesn't touch the locking bolt, maybe the lock was siezed up with no lubrication, mine turns freely.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say my Alko is a brand new kit that came with 2 keys, I don’t want or need replacement or extra keys at this time so I’ve no immediate problem regarding registration, I simply wanted to get it registered so that should the need be in the future it wouldn’t be a problem, my issue is simply the bad service from Alko when trying to contact them, the company that supplies replacement keys is also a worry because they don’t answer calls, again no current issue for myself but a problem for anyone with a lost key who needs urgent replacement, I’ll try and contact Alko again today, once confirmation my kit is registered I’ll be fine with it, I’ll update Alko position hopefully later.

BP

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks, I’ve sorted the registration with Alko, apparently there was an issue with website so all ok.
I also rang the number for ordering replacement keys just to see if any answer and there number worked today, hopefully I won’t ever lose a key.

BP

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks, I’ve sorted the registration with Alko, apparently there was an issue with website so all ok.
I also rang the number for ordering replacement keys just to see if any answer and there number worked today, hopefully I won’t ever lose a key.

BP
I do lubricate mine annually with 3 in 1 oil. Never had a problem. Same goes for all the locks around the caravan.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere, could have been on Alko website to use graphite lubricant or something like that, i can’t find it mentioned now anywhere, I seem to remember it was supposed to be better as didn’t get gunged up in the lock when dust and other nasties get stuck in the oil, what’s the Bet graphite lubricant will be 3 times more expensive, I swear by 3 in 1 which I got in an aerosol the last time I bought some and it has never ending uses.

BP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts