alko wheelock

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Got one of these new fangle anti theft locks that fit through the wheel - whilst it appears completely thief proof what a palava to fit it. Backwards and forwards to get the hole lined

up dead centre to put the thing on - does anyone know of an easier way to line the hole up through the wheel ?

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Steve there is no easy way apart from doing what you have already tried. It was sudjested to me to jack the wheel up, I did,nt even try it is in the shed unused to go with the van when next I change. J.Lo

Apr 20, 2007
Visit site
Another thing is they all seem to fit on the awning side. They may stop the van being stolen but they are not a visible deterent. I can't understand why they weren't fitted where everybody can see them. Mine are also left at home!!!!

David (from Kent)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My father-in-law had the Al-Ko Secure with his Senator. He has had exactly the same experience and his is in the garage as well!

I have just bought a 2008 Avondale and decided not to pay the extra

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
We are on our second caravan with the Alko wheel locks, our new van is a twin axle (2 wheel locks).

I must say i am quite surprised at the negative responses to these superb locks!

I simply jack the van up, line them up and fit them, i don't think it takes much longer than fitting some wheel clamps! and in my opinion is far more secure!

regards all, Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are on our second caravan with the Alko wheel locks, our new van is a twin axle (2 wheel locks).

I must say i am quite surprised at the negative responses to these superb locks!

I simply jack the van up, line them up and fit them, i don't think it takes much longer than fitting some wheel clamps! and in my opinion is far more secure!

regards all, Andrew.
Just as a matter of interest Andrew what sort of jack do you use and where do you jack it please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We too are on the second van with Alko wheel clamp and have grown to love it

Without the motor mover the affection would be more limited

The one on the Bailey was more user friendly than the one on the present Ace because the spaces between the spokes were more numerous and closer together so the gaps came up in line quicker and more often

It can be a plan ahead job when levelling to get the wheel in the correct position to line up the mover and have the van level as well

This is tricky when the leveller is on the clamp side but very trying when its on the opposite side!!

Its a pity that the receiver isn't fitted on both sides

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also like the alko locks, find we can jack up the van and fit them both in less than five minutes. must admit though that fitting on the other side would be beneficial so you can see them when the awning is up.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
mine's staying in the garage too. apart from the fact that it's so difficult to line up, I don't like the flange/spindle arrangement which can be difficult to engage, the key turn, and the securing balls - all of which would be a nightmare to release if they got sticky/corroded! the principle is good, but there must be an easier way...

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
God, I so hate those bloody things!

After spending three hours trying to remove one in the rain from my last single axle 'van on a Sunday afternoon, because the 'van had dared to move a millimetre, I consigned the ones for my new twin axle to the garage to go back in the 'van when I swap it in the future.

I bought the Bulldog Max wheelclamps that are much easier to fit and remove - using the motormover, I can normally line up both recievers enough for them to fit with no bother,

Very poor design from ALKO has opened the door for their competitors, but now they are playing hard ball and making it impossible for the poor souls who have to use their ill concieved idea...that's right..us!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i sold one of Alko locks , and bought a Bulldog Max ,which is far easier to fit and comes in a nice case ,so i have a different brand on each axle ,i also agree with the others is does seem daft to fit them inside the awning where they cant be seen

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have always wondered what is the long term effect of continually jacking up your van?

It is basically stuck together?You have a wooden/styrofoam sandwich floor bolted to a metal chassis,with the sides stuck on.

Its ok it you use your van only a couple of times a year,but if you are using 2 or 3 times a month.They do creak when you jack them up,you must be putting stress on the joints?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mikey, If the van cannot be jacked up without causing damage then there is no chance when it is on the road. The van is subject to all sorts of stresses when on the move.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You would only be jacking the van up if you are unlucky enough to have a puncture.So you would have extra jacking when on site and when you have returned,its just a thought.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Just as a matter of interest Andrew what sort of jack do you use and where do you jack it please?
Hi Gooner, we have a 2008 Swift conqueror 630, the jacking point is directly behind the rear axle and i use the jack supplied with the caravan, i can do both wheels quickly and easily!

Hope this helps, Andrew.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
I too am one of the happy brigade.

When i arrive at a site (mainly CLs) I park the 'van in the spot the wife chooses ;o) level it side to side with a ramp if needed and then before unhitching the car (so i can leave the handbrake off and the wheels turn freely) jack the side up with a "Kojack" - nice and easy hydraulic jack. Within a couple of mins the clamps are on and we can walk the dog all day reasonably content that the 'van will be there when we get back.

It is a pain but one that I feel is worth it. I would echo the thoughts about it being on the awning side though

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

Andrew and Sally hit the nail on the head.

My new Wyoming twin comes with two locks. One is dead easy to line up , either with towing vehicle or mover. The second one needs jacking up to align. See previous posts about the Al-ko OME jack. It's absolute rubbish and couldn't lift a paper bag. I now carry a hydraulic jack which lifts the Wyoming in 10 seconds or less. The rest is easy peasy. The Bulldog Centaurs I used on my previous Pageant were great but did take some muscle and time to fit.

I still have one left ,if anyone wants it for a reasonable price give me a shout.

Cheers

Alan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gooner, we have a 2008 Swift conqueror 630, the jacking point is directly behind the rear axle and i use the jack supplied with the caravan, i can do both wheels quickly and easily!

Hope this helps, Andrew.
Thanks for the reply Andrew,yes this is helpful. We collect our new van on Tuesday next week. T/a Sterling (same stable) so your experience is invaluable. Regards Gooner.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
We are from the happy bregade also. Have a single axle Abbey with a Reich soft start mover. We put caravan in to position with mover and fit the lock before disengaging the mover. The mover makes it very easy to do a final line up although we seem to be able to do it by eye pretty well now. Even works when the locked wheel is on blocks.

Must be much harder on a twin though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts