Alloy Wheels

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We have a 2002 Bailey Pageant Champagne. We would like to fit it with alloy wheels. Is this advisable and where could we obtain them from and does anyone fit them?

Thanks

Carol Clarke

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Speak to your local friendly caravan dealer, who will relieve you of the burden that is your bank balance. There should be no reason why you cannot fit alloys, just make sure they are not of the type used for cars. The loading on a caravan wheel is higher than a car, which spreads the load over 4 wheels as apposed to two. Invest in some locking wheel nuts, and ensure that if you have any devices such as a wheel clamp that they will fit back on too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The main reason I like alloys is that you are spared tying the wheel trims on with nylon ties and it is easy to check the wheel bolts before each trip.

The 5 spoke ones are very easy to clean with a long handled brush and look very nice as well!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The main advantage of alloy wheels is a reduction in unsprung weight, which means improves ride comfort and handling. This very relevant at a cars suspension design phase. Less unsprung weight means lighter less bulky suspension components.

If you swapped your standard steels for some alloys of same diameter/width you'd be pushed to feel any real difference.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You can't just put any old alloy wheel on a caravan because the operating conditions are more severe than on a car. You have to use alloy wheels that are designed specifically for heavy duty use such as commercial vehicles. Your safest bet would be to ask your caravan dealer or Bailey direct which types are approved. Some designs are unsuitable for use with certain wheel clamps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with what you say Lutz but would have thought it difficult to get a car wheel that would fit the stud configuration on the caravan.

Certainly finding a spare wheel has always ended up at a caravan dealer.

Perhaps I didn't try hard enough.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John G It is very easy to get a car wheel with the same pcd as a caravan ie the old caravan wheels with wide spacings 5.5" pcd I think are same as a Ford 100e this size Pcd was used buy caravan manufaturers in 13" OD for heavy vans 1300 kg + until about 1997 when 14" wheels on 5 studs came into use but these are 115 mm pcd on 5 studs which is a common BMW/ Vauxhall size,the older 4 stud 13" wheels on the Alko chassis are 100mm pcd which is the same as BMW and Vauxhall again,But the Jappenese vehicles use a Imperial pcd for there wheels G S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John G It is very easy to get a car wheel with the same pcd as a caravan ie the old caravan wheels with wide spacings 5.5" pcd I think are same as a Ford 100e this size Pcd was used buy caravan manufaturers in 13" OD for heavy vans 1300 kg + until about 1997 when 14" wheels on 5 studs came into use but these are 115 mm pcd on 5 studs which is a common BMW/ Vauxhall size,the older 4 stud 13" wheels on the Alko chassis are 100mm pcd which is the same as BMW and Vauxhall again,But the Jappenese vehicles use a Imperial pcd for there wheels G S
Thanks G S,you live and learn(sorry Lutz!)

It is a false economy to use the wrong gear as I found out when I needed to tow from Spain on the spare wheel.Fortunately I had not taken the advice of the caravan dealer and gone to the scrap yard for a car tyre.

The wheels I have for sale are caravan ones !!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
alloys look far better than steel wheels and are lighter as stated earlier, all my vans have had alloys as standard and i would not buy one without. bit confused about having to have heavy duty ones though, my car weighs 1860 kgs and has four alloy wheels no mention of heavy duty on them anywhere. my van weighs 1680 kgs its also on four wheels and again no mention of needing heavy duty wheels of any description on the van the wheels or in the manual. the only thing different is the tyres on the van which have a higher load rating.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
The main advantage of alloy wheels is a reduction in unsprung weight, which means improves ride comfort and handling. This very relevant at a cars suspension design phase. Less unsprung weight means lighter less bulky suspension components.

If you swapped your standard steels for some alloys of same diameter/width you'd be pushed to feel any real difference.
do me a favour and weigh them, lighter they are not, i think

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Agree with what you say Lutz but would have thought it difficult to get a car wheel that would fit the stud configuration on the caravan.

Certainly finding a spare wheel has always ended up at a caravan dealer.

Perhaps I didn't try hard enough.
there is a rumour that they are based on vauxhall wheels. (the 4 stud that is, no idea about 5's)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carol sorry that the wheels have gone on approval as I explained on the phone.

Hope that I didn't sound too abrupt on the phone.

I will not know until Thursday if they are having them as that is when I will next see the person involved.

I will let you know via the website if they want them and will ring you if they don't.

As I explained it is a carer at the residential home where my mother resides and she has taken them for her husband's say so.

Regards John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts