Alternatives to Nationwide Card in France

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
For several years we have taken advantage of the Nationwide Account which let us pay our supermarket/restaurant bills in France without charges. Unfortunately they stopped this service last October - I think something similar is available from Saga. Any other ideas please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Nationwide credit card is still OK to use without charges. I now use a Caxton FX card for ATM withdrawals, it can also be used for ordinary spending. It is a preload card so any money you pay into your account is immediately converted to euros.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
We were also thinking of the Caxton card, as they seem to be the cheapest on cash withdrawals.
We didn't want to apply for a credit card just to take to on holiday.
I did do some research and the Caxton card came out on top overall.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another alternative is the Santander Zero card which does not charge either for purchases or cash withdrawals - although it does start charging interestfrom the withdrawal date, it's still cheaper than alternatives.
I got mine some years ago but I suspect there is now some restriction on who can get them (eg must have a current account with Santander).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a Caxton card for the first time this year and it seems generally ok. You can top up and check balance etc. either on-line or by SMS txt. Worked in filling station but not at unmanned motorway toll booth. I have not taken this up with Caxton yet but plan to do so in due course. Have yet to try it for ATM in Spain.
You need to keep a keen eye on the exchange rate to see the best time to top up - the Desktop Currency Gadget in W7 and Vista is very handy for this.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Though you do pay a charge with the Nationwide now, it's still one of the lowest charges, and their actual exchange rate is higher than the CaxtonFX or FairFx (today 1.175 compared to 1.15) - so provided you're withdrawing in amounts of more than around 150 euros (150 x 117.5 minus 4.00 charges = 176.21) where the FairFX would be 172.50 - but then you'd have to 'buy' the card in the first place. I think the difference, to be honest, is so marginal as to make it not worth the hassle of having to fill in more on-line forms, set up new passwords, and so on! I think we'll just stick with what we have and think 'well, at least I don't have another password to remember, or another card to register on my lost cards account!').

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I thinkthat like Val A. we may just stay with the Nationwide and pay the extra costs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts