Am I being Naive.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
We own a Lunar Cosmos 352, which is an Ariva with extras.

We've been using a full awning with poles for 3 years and apart from being heavy, I constantly worry that a pole may slip out whilst we are putting it up and damage the side of our van.

So we bought an air awing, which is suitable for vans of between 235 and 250 cm high, ours is 232 so I intend to run the van up onto leveling ramps, which will give me an extra 7 or 8 cms.

The only draw back I can see is that the step up into the van will be that bit higher,,OR am I missing something ?

I've got a set of blocks in case the 4 steadies can't reach the ground but looking at the amount of spare thread I don't think I'll need them

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Pensioner,
You'll probably need to put some wood under the other wheel as well.
We sometimes use a piece of planking bevelled so that the wheel has an easy run onto the wood.
From your dimensions - why go so much when (theoretically) you only need to raise the van 30mm.the piece of plank I use must be around 30mm thick and the corner steadies reach the ground easily.
I always level the van before uncoupling so that I can use the car to move the van onto the flat levelling wood.
PS I always use flat wood (it's better and easier than using these daft yellow levelling wedges)

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I would first of all simply try the new awning with the 'van on level ground and see how it actually fits. Even if the awning size is nominally correct, the fit can vary significantly depending (especially) on the front shape of the awning channel.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree you will need to raise both sides in most cases. If you raise the caravan then the step will be correspondingly raised. If you want to raise the caravan I would buy a two step step for the caravan. They can be bought from about £30 or so.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the positive feed back,,I was a bit concerned that I'd missed an important point.

I'll be using the movers to put it on the ramps,,and I have extra blocks in case I need to prop up the boggy wheel.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I go with Vic, I would try it first, sometimes just increasing the angles of the awning edge left and right by the van will take up the difference - often the pitch and awning space will not be entirely level anyway - you may then find the awning sits level enough- and I'm all for the easiest solution!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you bought a porch or full air awning?
If a porch then before you raise the caravan as the others say try it.
If it's a full one then surely the only dimension of importance is the measurement taken floor to floor along the entire awning rail?
Good luck.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
If it's a full one then surely the only dimension of importance is the measurement taken floor to floor along the entire awning rail?

I don't have one, but can imagine that a problem with a full air-awning is that you don't have the ability to adjust the air beams in the same way you would adjust the height of a poled awning to achieve best pitch?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Vic
Our Kampa Rallye Air porch awning actually uses metal poles against the caravan wall, the others are air filled so the actual height of the caravan doesn't matter. Not sure if this is the case with the full air awning.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm delighted to report a total success.

I contacted my nearest C&CC club which is just down the road, and for a contribution to the "cat fund" I was given a pitch to play on for the day. We normally use hard standing to keep condensation to a minimum but for speed and ease I went onto grass for this test.

Ran the van up onto the ramps,,adjusted for level front to rear,,, steadies down,,,laid out the carpet to keep damp and stains off the nice new awning and away we went.

Quick and simple,,,bit of adjustment here and there ,,and notes for future use,,,but Oh so simple and no worries about damaging the van with falling poles and the height was perfect.

The awning we've bought is a Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 and we couldn't be more delighted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As another of similar years delighted you have it sorted out. Otherwise wold suggest the solution I've found which is to fit awning poles with pipe insulation moulded foam as used in central heating so even if the do fall onto caravan sides they don't do any damage.

Never had an air awning myself and others may tell you otherwise but I would be very careful in times of high and gusty winds. Those I have seen in such conditions appear to distort and create wind catching 'pockets' more readily than those with metal or fibre poles. Saw one blown to shreds on a site in Spain where nearby conventional awnings moved a bit but remained basically sound without damage to the caravans

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I prefer my conventional awning as I can split the weight into awning, and poles. Giving a bit more flexibility on loading and hiding away at home.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I prefer my conventional awning as I can split the weight into awning, and poles. Giving a bit more flexibility on loading and hiding away at home.
Don't get me going Clive ;)
Izzy Magnum with Carbon fibre poles every time.
The Kampa Rallye Air 260 is in the loft awaiting sale :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts