Am I stupid...

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
...or has anyone else made the same mistake?

I have managed to travel about 400 miles to the Dordogne, with the cable from the car to my new caravan having dragged along the road.

The result is the wires have been completely burnt through by the friction.

I nievely hoped that connecting them back together would get all my brake lights etc working again, but no joy.

What can I do, I need to travel home to the UK on Tuesday.

I have found a French caravan shop that has offered to do a temporary repair for E180.

Thanks in advance

Garry

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We did the same thing years ago. Isn't there anyone on site who can help out. My OH just cut both cables at either side of the worn area, removing the damaged wiring, reconnected the correct colours, isolating each from the next with black electrical tape, and wound the whole repair with tape to keep it waterproof. It worked for us. 180 euros seems a lot of money.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We did the same thing years ago. Isn't there anyone on site who can help out. My OH just cut both cables at either side of the worn area, removing the damaged wiring, reconnected the correct colours, isolating each from the next with black electrical tape, and wound the whole repair with tape to keep it waterproof. It worked for us. 180 euros seems a lot of money.
If this sort of repair doesn't work then it may indicate that there has been damage caused to the tow hitch circuits by arcing - which may be why the caravan showroom is charging such a lot.

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Did exactly the same last year, but on last day. Fortunately spotted it and it only burnt out right hand side set of lights.

If you can stand the tension, you could risk driving back with no lights as you got there without them.

What about red pennant flag if you have it?

However, I would go with the self fix option first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have re-connected the 2 halves of the cable, and insulated each individual wire, as Val has suggested and you still have no joy with your lights etc check your car and caravan fuses - these may have blown if the wires came into contcat with each other when the cable/wires were frayed. Take heart tho' you are not alone in this having happened!

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
What Trev has suggested in his post is fraudulent which this forum cannot condone or encourage.

Trev's post has been deleted

Parksy (Moderator)

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Why does this site allow postings like Trev's?

Presumably Garry had the choice of buying continental cover and pay an appropriate premium.

I'm sorry he has had difficulties, but to suggest calling out the UK emergency services once he's driven back is not only unsafe if the problem hasn't been properly fixed, but also defrauds the UK service provider and all other members.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies, I've only just seen Trev's post.

I think that the fuse(s) on the towing vehicle may have blown.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately Garry has posted the same question under "Technical" and got two sets of answers.

I agree with Parksy, and have said so on the other posting.

Hopefully Garry will be on his way home today.

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts