Ambitious towing!!!!!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I've used a dolly identical to that one a few times in years gone by, but that thing's made worse by having the small wheels substituted for car-sized wheels! I never went far with it, the lack of brakes were certainly noticeable approaching junctions. The exuberance and ignorance of youth.......

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just about everything wrong, including towing with a Clio, which I cannot see having the power or towing limit to tow it safely.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just about everything wrong, including towing with a Clio, which I cannot see having the power or towing limit to tow it safely.
800kgs from what I could find. I hope he wasn't expecting to get very far, or get there quickly, or stop when he expected to!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
800kgs from what I could find. I hope he wasn't expecting to get very far, or get there quickly, or stop when he expected to!
Especially when signalled to do so by a Traffic Cop :eek:

Oh how I would love to be back at my old job and find this totally stupid, and dangerous idiot, the list of offences committed should have had him off the Road for years, and rightly so.

Reactions: GaryB
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
On recent holiday seen a few different towing systems used by RVs to tow runaround, typically a Suzuki Jimny. One I liked most was braked single axle car trailer. While heavier than dolly didn't require any mods to towed car and any small car could be used as runaround. One of reason Jimny's are so popular is they can be towed, alot of cars especially autos can't ve towed without engine running or it will damage drivetrain.
Also worth having towbar on runaround so it can tow trailer into more difficult sites.

One owner I talked to did use Jimny to help recover RV from wet site.

Other RV owners tow a small box trailer for their motorbike and other toys. Motorbike is used as their runaround.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Especially when signalled to do so by a Traffic Cop :eek:

Oh how I would love to be back at my old job and find this totally stupid, and dangerous idiot, the list of offences committed should have had him off the Road for years, and rightly so.
It's surprising (or scary) how some of the older (but not wiser) generation are blissfully unaware of any sort of towing limits with vehicles. My step father was always of the "tow bar + diesel engine = ability to tow a house" train of thought. Fortunately he asks my advice BEFORE buying a car or caravan now since he very nearly bought a diesel Astra a few years back that wasn't approved for towing anything (I think it was called an Ecoflex or something, early 2000's).

A few years back I used to travel on the A14 quite a bit and would occasionally see a Toyota Landcruiser towing a huge trailer with a static caravan plonked on top of it. Sure, the trailer was braked etc and he had a myriad of flashing lights, massive mirrors and all, but ignoring the weight, the length and width would have put it outside the legal parameters.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts