Amperor

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have been thinking of changing my BCA charger for one of these,
http://www.amperorassociates.co.uk/c-battery_chargers/BatteryC-3_25A.html

Talking to the very helpfull guy at Amperor, he says if the fuse (i presume its an inline fuse somewhere) is 20 amp then its a straight swap. If its a 15 amp fuse I will need to run new cables to my battery box with a 20 amp inline fuse. Anyone done this on a 2009 Coachman Pastiche ?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........I fitted this Amperor charger to my Swift several years ago with great success.

It is the cheaper 18 amp version and is more than sufficient for the needs of any caravan.
It was a straight swap in fitting the actual unit as it had the same mounting holes.
The lower output meant I did not have to upgrade any wiring.
You cannot buy better specification caravan chargers and certainly not at the price Amperor charge for direct orders.

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your helpfull reply. I have ordered the 18amp version and as I'm having the van serviced in May by a Mobile Engineer, he says he can fit it at minimal cost. On a hot sunny day ( Yes we did get them), I wondered if the BCA would pack up. One less thing to think about :)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have to commend Ampero for not only the very helpful guy I spoke to but I only ordered it yesterday and it arrived at noon today. 10 out of 10. :)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I wish to change my BCA charger for the Amperor and just wondering where to site it. Would it be ok between the boiler and the fuse box panel or would it suffer from any heat from being near the boiler. It could go on the extreme right near the water pressure stabiliser and elec isolation switch but am led to believe it needs to be as near to battery as possible although the BCA isnt. Thanks in advance.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2015/post-72601-0-49667500-1429523563.jpg

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
My Amperor has a + and a - terminal but my BCA has a red and black also a a yellow and black. The red and black I presume are the battery and the yellow and black I presume are the 12.5v supply that bypasses the battery when on hook up. As I only have the two terminals on the amperor I am at a loss as to where to put what.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Beagler said:
........ and the yellow and black I presume are the 12.5v supply that bypasses the battery when on hook up. ..........

As I understand it no caravan bypasses the battery when on hookup, as when not on hookup it is the same wiring used for the 12v end items. Also, the battery acts as a damper in the system to reduce spike levels.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The 18 amp unit can just replace the present one if required as the original unit is probably 20Amp anyway, check the manual.
From reading the stats previously the spec says no battery is required, if one is fitted its a 3 stage charger anyway.

With the wiring trace out the wires to the connector, and just connect those that connect through.

The reason the charger man said check the fuse was to ensure the caravan wiring to the battery could take 25amp presumably.

Fit the box near to a floor vent if possible making sure air can circulate all round the unit for maximum cooling, keep well away from any heat source.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts