Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
What’s the norm on sites regarding amps I’ve been to a couple since buying my caravan but 10 amp is the lowest they are usually 16 amp has anyone had blown fuses due to lower amps?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
What’s the norm on sites regarding amps I’ve been to a couple since buying my caravan but 10 amp is the lowest they are usually 16 amp has anyone had blown fuses due to lower amps?

Do you mean has anyone tripped the circuit breakers due to connecting too many amps for the supply to manage? It’s not uncommon in Europe to have supplies down to 5 amps on some sites. UK tends to be between 10-16 amps but there may well be lower rated supplies. If I’m doubt ask at check in or when booking the pitch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You'll probably find that first thing on a morning when all the kettles are on and toasters and people drying their hair you may see people out to the circuit breaker box resetting the power ! I've been out a few times , nothing new ! And it won't be the last :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Two club sites are normally 16 amp supply but on clz/ cs sites they can go down to 6 amp supply. But normally 10 amp. You just have to watch the Boss drying their hair whilst boiling a kettle,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is always wise to check with the reception what limit they have on the bollards and keep your usage within that limit.
I do know of several sites where the reset is locked away and requires the owner/manager to come and reset it if you overload it.
I also know that these particular sites will not come out after their normal finish time, so you could be without power all night !!!!!

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
I went to one in York and it blew the fuse and the guy next to me on site said you have to pay for it resetting , small charge he said but when the park guy came to look he said have you broke the connection to the fuse box , and when I looked it was like my parents had on the old gas meter in the house an old lead connection , I said no I have not but he put £5 on my bill for resetting it that’s why I’m asking chaps thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a multi key bought from Screwfix. Triangle , squares, half moon, etc. So if we trip the bollard we can get in and reset. .

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
They must want to charge something or why would they cap the ampage to 10amp but I must say the particular site we are going to has fantastic reviews and not a mention of blow outs so here we come

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Batman1957 said:
They must want to charge something or why would they cap the ampage to 10amp but I must say the particular site we are going to has fantastic reviews and not a mention of blow outs so here we come

Don't be shy on the details .....
Which site !?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Batman1957 said:

No they may find that the cost of updating site power supplies isn’t cost effective or may deter visitors if prices have to rise. 10 amps is okay if you manage your appliances. Clearly the 10 amps doesn’t deter visitors.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We got used to 10 amp power on French sites, as OC states easy to manage, we still have a 2 kw kettle and a toaster, SWMBO, Has her hair drier. And we haven't blown a bollard CB in a year or so. . Just watch how you manage things

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK people, listen up a bit.
I have had to remove certain comments from some answers as this platform cannot and will not be a vehicle for illegal activities, which a couple of postings seem to think it is OK .
Any advice is welcome providing it is legal and the correct advice.

Please THINK before posting.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have a multi key bought from Screwfix. Triangle , squares, half moon, etc. So if we trip the bollard we can get in and reset. .

Linky for the multi-keykey please Hutch, ta.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Some of the sites belonging to the 2 clubs have 10 amps and on some it varies from pitch to pitch. I usually look at the trip on the bollard and the amps seem to be written in the model number or similar. Still managed to trip 10 amps in Dorset on a commercial site and don't know why as I'm usually very careful.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
Not got BS7671:2001 to hand, but know BS7671:2008 stipulates a minimum of 16A supply, it is not retrospective, so if has been 6A for over 10 years there is nothing to say they must upgrade, and BS7671:2008 is not law anyway, although it can be used in a court of law.

I know my caravan has a 10 and 6 amp MCB fitted, so in theory van trip should go first.

As to an "ordinary person" accessing a locked distribution unit there are clearly issues, even as a "competent person" or "skilled person" there would still be issues accessing a distribution unit. But main point is a consumer unit is a type tested distribution unit designed so an "ordinary person" can reset MCB's or RCBO's or swap cartridge fuses, unless it has the BS number and I don't of hand know what that number is, to leave it unlocked could get the site owner in trouble from HSE, and typically a 16A fuse costs around £2 to £3 so it is not unreasonable to charge for the replacement.

If not a cartridge fuse but rewire-able, then the person changing the fuse must be trained, i.e. it may not be the site owner, he may be forced by HSE rules to call out an electrician.

Remember it is not his home, he has to satisfy HSE inspectors and insurers, and he does not really have a clue as to who is using his site, for all he knows you may be a HSE inspector, so he has to keep to the rules.

Clearly if the fuse/MCB/RCBO is less than 16A he is up the creak as far as charging goes, unless he explains as you book in there is less than 16A, also all his adverts for the site would need to say what the power is, if not 16A, however if I was told sorry either no electric or 5A only then I would still stop on site with 5A only in the summer.

I think I have stopped on sites with locked reset box, and I have tripped it, however there was more than one socket on box so simply swapped plug to one which had not tripped.

I have never been charged for a blown fuse, I think if I was then I would simply not return to that site, back in the late 90's I did stop on a site with a 100 amp split phase supply to site, if everyone is using an average of 10A that is only 20 vans, he had more like 100 vans so limited the supply to 5A, people did all sorts to get more, fit a 15A MCB live working and scrape off the 1 so it looked like a 5A, turn the screws in the 5A so it would give more, hard wire across the MCB, I really could not believe what people would do, risking their life in the process.

Then the main incoming fuse would blow, that needed a visit from the DNO to replace it, so everyone lost power over night because of the greedy few, I helped the site owner fitting two 80A MCB's so they went before the main fuse, then it was a case of finding the fiddled outlets, we used a 2 kW fan heater, if the MCB did not trip it was changed, end of the day he had a box full of MCB's around 30 had been one way or another fiddled to get more power.

The electric was not the only problem, some one had found a device to kid the telephone into thinking it was a 999 call, he was selling these devices at work, but the Post Office realised what was going on, and were modifying public phone boxes so they would not work any more, however the site phone was owned by the site owner, the 99 fiddle made the phone work without money, but did not con the exchange, so the owner had a huge bill, with very little money in the phone box.

I am sure all in all he made a lot of money off the contractors using the site for 4 years while the power station was built, however he also had a hard life with all the tricks being played on him between one thing and another, and he likely also lost a lot of return custom for years latter once back to a holiday only site.

The site is still going today, but I bet if there was every another power station built he would think twice before letting contractors in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts