An apology to a well liked member

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
A quick preamble;
I recently made a comment on this forum about the poor standard of spelling and grammar.It was a general statement and a view shared by others.It was NOT aimed at any person in particular and if anyone cares to re-read the contributions to that posting it will be evident that many members were "guilty" (could'nt think of a better word so please no protests)
I believed then and still believe that my comments were justified and we are all free to express opinions in these forums.What happened next was beyond my control.Certain other members decided for themselves that my comments were directed at FG.There then followed a backlash and FG, having been nominated as the intended recipient, decided to leave the forum.
To FG I would like to offer my unreserved apology.It was never my intention that individuals should be targeted and it was only intended as a general comment.Possibly others should offer their apologies also.
It is apparent from some of the replies that you are a well liked member and you would be missed if you hang up your crocks.
Once again,my apologies for any hurt or upset.
Perhaps spellin is not evrythin.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whatever the posting was, I certainly was not aware of any problems, not a single person contacted the Mods as far as I know, and you are quite right, you are allowed to express opinions within the terms of the rules of the forum.

Unfortunately, being the stark written word, some comments can , and are, taken the wrong way, or certainly not in the spirit they were intended.
Once a seed of discontent is sown, it soon grows, unfortunately, and people then think that reference is being made against them, wrongly as it happens , most of the time.

Everyone is free to come or go as they wish, but it is a pity that the forum seems so "real" as to make comments personal.
There are plenty of keyboard warriors who jump before clarifying the real meaning, if in doubt.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I would like also to endorse what Roger has said, I too commented on difficult to read posts and would point out that there was nothing personal or spiteful in my intentions. If any offence was caused,then I apologise and would be sorry to think that FG left our forum as a result of the posts of myself and others.

Happy caravanning!

Derek

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh dear RogerB.
I've spotted nine mistakes in your apology post excluding the last line
smiley-surprised.gif
I'm quite traumatised by my findings and may lose some sleep, but I don't think I will be suing for compensation
smiley-laughing.gif

But please note, most smart people can read the section below as easily as what you posted
smiley-laughing.gif

"I renectly meda a cemmont on thsi froum abuot the poor stardand of spelling and grammra.It was a general stetament and a veiw shraed by othres.It was ONT iamed at any preson in patricular and if aynone caers to re-raed the controbutinns to that postgin it will be edivent that many mmebres were "guilty"
Guess you just weren't having a 'smart' day Rog
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
yes and appologise you should IMO
smiley-innocent.gif
smiley-innocent.gif
. yes it is true sometimes a post is hard to read but we all make misstakes even the best of us ?? not to mention some technical content that is way OTT and only relevent with someone with a PHD.
but it must be understood that people are writing a post on a forum not a assay for a english exam.

a poster who used to contribute to a forum I was a member of sometime ago was disslexic "see cant even spell it" but this did not detract or prevent him from putting his point across or from being a valued member of the forum and you soon understood what he meant.
all conributions to the forum have merit even poorly construted ones so it should never put anyone off posting. or asking questions.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I agree that we all make mistakes, but I have noticed the poor standard of grammar and spelling in letters from professional organisations. At least most of us have an excuse as we may not have had the opportunity to have a high standard of English taught to us.
When I was gainfully employed I used to receive emails from colleagues who had university qualifications yet their spelling and grammar was equal to or lower than some one with a GCSE. The strange thing is that the email program had access to a spell checker, but words like whether and weather were used out of context. It seems that in general correct usage of the English language is being “dumbed down” in many instances. I have had emails where a lot of the spelling used was similar to spelling in text messages.
How often have to seen a grammatically incorrect headline in a major newspaper or heard a professional newsreader use phrases or words incorrectly? The list goes on. I think that on a public forum that does not have a spell checker, incorrect words and grammar are acceptable.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Parksy/Damian, to put this to bed for good, can you not email Forest Gump, passing on these apologies? I'm pretty sure he would be big enough to accept them and return to the fold.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
Parksy/Damian, to put this to bed for good, can you not email Forest Gump, passing on these apologies? I'm pretty sure he would be big enough to accept them and return to the fold.

Roger has made a fulsome apology for what appears to have been a misunderstanding and as far as moderators are concerned that's the end of the matter.
I've been in touch throughout with all concerned via email and FG responded in another post to say that he wasn't upset by any suggestion of 'bullying' but he appeared to suggest that he would no longer use this forum because it is too serious for his tastes and it needed to be lightened up in his opinion.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/chit-chat/caravan-channel-0?page=5
Please make of that what you will, if forum members wish to discuss this matter as long as no rules are broken then that's up to them but I can't force someone to use this forum if they don't want to.
If FG wanted to see the apologies or respond in any way all that he has to do is look for himself.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have posted a couple of light hearted items. One mentioned a well known tablet and biscuits. No sexual content as such. Nothing in it to alarm a child or victorian granny. But the post flew away as did another. Somebody around here needs to lighten up, we've had loads of laughs over all our caravanning years. Most caravanners have a sense of humour and can make a few good innocent freindly jokes and wise cracks. If you tow and are prepared to sit in wet damp muddy fields in all weather's you need a light hearted view on life.
That's unless we've been finding and going to the wrong sites for over thirty years
smiley-smile.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote ". If you tow and are prepared to sit in wet damp muddy fields in all weather's you need a light hearted view on life. "

If you are sitting in a wet, damp, muddy field then that is the time and place to share the more risque jokes or stories.

The Publishers do not want , or wish to have them printed on the forum which is read by all ages across the internet world,,,,,,,,,simple.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Having a sense of humour and being light hearted has nothing to do with rude, gutter risque/smutty in fields we've sat in, thank you!
Damian-Moderator said:
If you are sitting in a wet, damp, muddy field then that is the time and place to share the more risque jokes or stories.
The Publishers do not want , or wish to have them printed on the forum which is read by all ages across the internet world,,,,,,,,,simple.
And I quite agree with the publishers, that's why I'm very careful with what I post. May be I should repeat myself. I said my post had no "No sexual content as such. Nothing in it to alarm a child or victorian granny" and "Most caravanners have a sense of humour and can make a few good innocent freindly jokes and wise cracks"
What I posted came via a local 64 year old widower Vicar, he got it off a religious web site and forum that is read by children and all ages across the world. His widowed lady/girl friend emailed it to my wife.
If Practical Caravans publishers are more prudish than those who are into religion I can see why the OP has moved on. If what I posted was seriously "RISQUE" somebody needs to get some help
smiley-embarassed.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "
Having a sense of humour and being light hearted has nothing to do with rude, gutter risque/smutty in fields we've sat in, thank you!"

Who said anything about rude, gutter or smutty? Certainly not me.
Not having seen the posting you refer to, I have no idea what it was about, but can guess.
I simply put forward a reason why it may have been removed.
Bringing the clergy into the situation does no favours or gives the green light to what is left on the forum or not.

And by the way, that situation has absolutely nothing to do with the original posting, totally off topic.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well whatever anyone says there is something wrong with the forum
smiley-undecided.gif

The last post in UK Campsites was 23 hours ago. The last post in General; was over 1 day ago.

When I visit the forum these days it usually takes me about 30 seconds to check any postings. I hardly post because there are no interesting threads because the site is dead. There is only so much one can say/post regarding caravanning. Isn't it ironic that this is, at the moment, the busiest thread
smiley-smile.gif
That must tell us something must say something
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Being a moderator must be quite difficult on forums and I appreciate that. Damian your fellow moderator posted
Parksy - Moderator said:
I've been in touch throughout with all concerned via email and FG responded in another post to say that he wasn't upset by any suggestion of 'bullying' but he appeared to suggest that he would no longer use this forum because it is too serious for his tastes and it needed to be lightened up in his opinion.
my posting supported the view that Moderator Parksy published. Your posts seem to have no connection to what I've said at all. If innocent posts are to be removed as somebody has a strange idea is to what is 'correct' for this forum a simple email explaining why would not come amiss.
Forum Rules and moderation gains respect if things are made clear and transparent and reflect the ideals of forum members. Caravanners in my experience are quite a chilled light hearted bunch and encompass all ages and families with children. I have no idea of what you think you have been saying Damian, but I do know it is not very clear. Sorry
smiley-innocent.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
smiley-undecided.gif

The last post in UK Campsites was 23 hours ago. The last post in General; was over 1 day ago.

When I visit the forum these days it usually takes me about 30 seconds to check any postings. I hardly post because there are no interesting threads because the site is dead. There is only so much one can say/post regarding caravanning. Isn't it ironic that this is, at the moment, the busiest thread
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-wink.gif
I've noticed a down turn in the posts, this forum has a wealth of information and experienced caravanners. I guess that PC have some idea of how many 'hits' he site and forum get. Can't see the ofrum will last if it doesn't get enough veiwings or posts.

I agree fully with "The Lord"

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
smiley-undecided.gif

smiley-smile.gif
smiley-wink.gif

I'd agree that the forum is by no means perfect but in mid February it's hardly surpising that the UK Campsites section doesn't have many posts. The General section alternates with the Technical section in terms of being busy.
There is not much happening for caravanners this month, the CC sites have had their anual bunfight so that topic has been aired and the NEC show hasn't opened yet for people to talk about.
If a post disappears (or if it doesn't but the originator just hasn't seen it) the moderators of this forum are instantly blamed, Damian hasn't taken any recent jokes off the forum and neither have I but it looks as though we're the villains of the peace yet again
smiley-frown.gif

If I remove something I try my best to let those concerned know why if possible.
Newly installed forum software designed to remove spam postings often 'holds' posts from genuine members for no apparent reason that we know of, whenever I see these 'held' posts I re-instate them to the forum but some hours may have passed since they were first written. We can't be here 24 hours a day and the web techs are doing their best to resolve difficulties whenever they can. Blaming moderators solves nothing and leads to unnecessary bad feeling when these arguments take place.
There seems to be a lot of interest in this section at the moment but tomorrow it could be something else that arouses interest.
All that this and other recent postings say to me is that there are some very uptight angry people around at the moment, roll on summer!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
"Quote"
I agree fully with "The Lord"

AH Bless him, may the lord be with you.

Think I may have a theory;
Perhaps last season every one stayed on big happy go lucky commercial sites and all enjoyed themselves but then they realised this year they have to stay on CL's because of cost
smiley-frown.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Very fair comment Parksy, but if you guys are getting the blame for other's actions or techy problems then PC needs to get it sorted.
You commented on something I posted a week or two back, my post related to another that had gone missing. I'd made a reasonable post, nothing that wasn't family friendly reading. There it was, and then it was gone.
Makes me wonder, why bother posting
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I apologise for bringing up how quiet the forum is despite the same topic being mentioned in the past. Usually the excuse is ahhh, it's because it's Christmas, or it's summer, everyones out in their vans, or it's a nice day, they are all spring cleaning their vans, or it's Easter, Whitsun, Passover, Ramadan, Yom Kippur. Neither of these are appropriate so it must because everyone is acting like springtime bunnies and are cuddled up for valentines day
smiley-undecided.gif

In truth there's only so much you can post about caravans so that is the answer why
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts