Another Forum Newbie

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Only a few years ago if someone had told me that I would even have even thought about a caravan I would never have believed it.

Our entry in to caravanning initially came about through sad circumstances. My parents had caravaned for years both home and abroad. Five and a bit years ago, a month after taking delivery of their latest caravan my dad died. After things began to sort themselves out, mum had to decide what to do with the new caravan, a Senator Wyoming, whether to keep it and use it or sell it.

We deceided as a trial to go to La Baule in France, my mum, wife and I and meet up there with some friends for Easter. Still difficult circumstances but we had a good time and this led to several more holidays away with mum and also latterly mum travelling with various friends both home and abroad.

In Sept 2005 my wife and I borrowed mum's outfit and took it to the Lot region of France for a couple of weeks, where we met and got to know a great bunch of fellow caravaners. I guess from then on we were hooked.

We then made the classic mistake of going round the NEC show window shopping for what caravan we might buy ourselves if we were to own one..... One thing led to another and within a month we had placed an order for an Abbey 215GTS Vogue.

I can't believe we are already in to our third season with our own van. During that time we have made several trips to France and being based in South Herefordshire, we like exploring Welsh coast CLs and also sites nearer to home.

Probably slightly mad, but the caravan is called Wendy,named after the art critic, Sister Wendy,a nun who I think is still alive. Well it is an Abbey van. I sometimes get strange looks at work when I say I am going away for the weekend with my wife and Wendy.

To those who don't get caravanning, they don't know what they are missing. We've been to places we would never have got to without the van, met great people and had great times.

Tim

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Tim. Enjoyed reading your post, it's always interesting to find out what's attracted others to the wonderful world of caravanning. Claire was brought up with a tourer and Rob's parents have owned several motorhomes over the years so it was inevitable that we'd eventually drift into the hobby. Rob took a lot of convincing but loves the caravan now we've got it. He's not keen on towing so Claire does most of it. Our 3 boys really enjoy the outdoor life too so it's been a success for us all. Only got ours last October and had 2 trips out so far but we've got 4 more booked and plan to have more weekends away if we get a good summer.

Claire & Rob

Geist AK495 & Vauxhall Zafira cdti

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts