Another long EV tow.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Tobes , sorry I spotted this picture of a Tesla recharging, it hit my sense of Humour. Catch you in Stoke Bruerne for a beer sometime. .
View attachment 3695
Haha - yes - just seen that on the Bailey FB forum! Of course, I commented there too! 🤣
A beer in Stoke Bruerne sounds great! Within range of my bicycle, never mind the EV :)

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am told that many Hybrids, PHEV and EVs do not have spare wheels due to the batteries. This would be a concern if you have a blow out on a weekend.
I appreciate that many standard cars do not have a spare wheel, but you can buy and fit a doughnut type spare wheel, but on any mode of EV apparently this is not possible. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or just another myth?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am told that many Hybrids, PHEV and EVs do not have spare wheels due to the batteries. This would be a concern if you have a blow out on a weekend.
I appreciate that many standard cars do not have a spare wheel, but you can buy and fit a doughnut type spare wheel, but on any mode of EV apparently this is not possible. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or just another myth?
Sorry Buckman I don't understand the Doughnut type spare wheel, are you drinking that iffy SA wine.
Happy Smilly face. 😂

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My PHEV didn’t have a spare, nor does my EV. But my V50 only had a space saver, as did my XC90 before that, not suitable for towing.

It is not universal for EVs, nor ICE cars. There is no single rule that applies.
You can buy a spare and carry it in any car, it just takes space and weight. I have decided not to bother and have full Green Flag / Mayday service instead.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In our old ish SanteFe, a full size spare is supplied as standard, I would not want to be without a proper tyre/wheel in my car, I cannot rely on the call out services as a call out for a puncture, sorry but just daft in my opinion, unless totally unable to change a wheel, by yourself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I believe that cars that cannot carry a spare have to have a tyre sealer and inflater system. often its a one piece aerosol canister.

I pretty certain there isn't any regulation that prevents manufacturers from considering using spacesaver spare wheels on EV's. But its possible that there are no suitable tyres with the required load ratings for some of the bigger EV's.

But the reason the spacesavers came into being was to save space and weight of a full size spare. This was mostly driven by manufacturers striving to reach better fuel consumption.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember having an aerosol tin of tyre sealer and inflator, ( Finelec) back in the early 70's on my motorbike, it fell of and burst, In my mirror i thought I was being chased by something out of, Ghost busters as it expanded .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I believe that cars that cannot carry a spare have to have a tyre sealer and inflater system. often its a one piece aerosol canister.
Not much use if you have a blow out. Recently we waited nearly 3 hours before Mayday arrived. Taking that time period into account if we were then taken to a tyre fitter, it would probably be 6 hours before we got back on the road. This scenario applies to all cars without and form of spare wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not much use if you have a blow out. Recently we waited nearly 3 hours before Mayday arrived. Taking that time period into account if we were then taken to a tyre fitter, it would probably be 6 hours before we got back on the road. This scenario applies to all cars without and form of spare wheel.
That is true.

But working on the basis none of the safety organisations recommend you attempt to replace a wheel on busy roads, and I suspect there must be far more just punctures than blowouts, the sealant seems to offer a safer way to get punctured tyre resolved enough to get you out of danger sooner.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I think in all my years of driving and towing, I have had one puncture (which was slow) away from home. It was while we were on holiday with the caravan the day before we were due to come home. I drove the car (XC90) to a local garage who replaced the tyre. I took the old one home and had it repaired.
In contrast, I have had to call out Mayday or RAC 4 times that I can remember, twice while towing. A split turbo hose and sheared diesel filter while towing. Binding parking brake and stone between brake disk and flange when not. Is having a spare wheel useful? Definitely. Is it worth the payload in the car, or reducing your choice of car over - well that’s personal choice, but on balance for me, no. That is not to say if I had a car that had one I would take it out to save weight and space, but I don’t let it restrict my choice of car to those that do. It’s a trade off of potential time lost against reduced selection of cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That is true.

But working on the basis none of the safety organisations recommend you attempt to replace a wheel on busy roads, and I suspect there must be far more just punctures than blowouts, the sealant seems to offer a safer way to get punctured tyre resolved enough to get you out of danger sooner.
One of the issues with sealant is that many UK tyre depots will not undertake a proper BS puncture repair. They quote ‘H&S’ yet the sealant compound is non toxic and not an environmental hazard. When sealant first started to be introduced Continental Tyre issued a comprehensive technical information
sheet and safety data sheet too, in order for the trade to understand sealant. But of course it doesn’t sell a new tyre!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of the issues with sealant is that many UK tyre depots will not undertake a proper BS puncture repair. They quote ‘H&S’ yet the sealant compound is non toxic and not an environmental hazard. When sealant first started to be introduced Continental Tyre issued a comprehensive technical information
sheet and safety data sheet too, in order for the trade to understand sealant. But of course it doesn’t sell a new tyre!
I am told that they need to clean out the gunk to be able to locate the puncture and as that takes time and effort it is easier to state they cannot do it. I do understand their point.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am told that they need to clean out the gunk to be able to locate the puncture and as that takes time and effort it is easier to state they cannot do it. I do understand their point.
I quite understand why the tyre trade dont like repairing a gunk filled tyre, but even if the repair price was higher it would still be cheaper than a new tyre. But of course they would still not then sell a new tyre to a motorist with no alternatives other than to accept the inevitable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I quite understand why the tyre trade dont like repairing a gunk filled tyre, but even if the repair price was higher it would still be cheaper than a new tyre. But of course they would still not then sell a new tyre to a motorist with no alternatives other than to accept the inevitable.
I wonder what they would use to clean out the gunk and then to safely disposed of it. After doing all that then locating the hole that is blocked with the gunk.
As a matter of interest if you fill the tyre with the gunk to repair a puncture, surely it would affect the wheel balance?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what they would use to clean out the gunk and then to safely disposed of it. After doing all that then locating the hole that is blocked with the gunk.
As a matter of interest if you fill the tyre with the gunk to repair a puncture, surely it would affect the wheel balance?
No it doesnt affect balance as when the wheel rotates it distributes the gunk evenly over the surface. I have used similar on my cycle tyres as a preemptive measure. Now they have puncture resistant Continental tyres. Being green or orange it isn’t difficult to spot where the puncture is located. As forvcleaning the tyre and disposal of the rescue as I said Continental Tyre do an excellent information sheet. But I guess if the tyre is replaced with a new one I hardly imagine the tyre depot are going to clean its inside before putting it on the recycle heap.

ps my current bicycle tyres have the equivalent of the Continental Contiseal tyre which has a pre installed puncture repair coating inside the tyre.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No it doesnt affect balance as when the wheel rotates it distributes the gunk evenly over the surface. I have used similar on my cycle tyres as a preemptive measure. Now they have puncture resistant Continental tyres. Being green or orange it isn’t difficult to spot where the puncture is located. As forvcleaning the tyre and disposal of the rescue as I said Continental Tyre do an excellent information sheet. But I guess if the tyre is replaced with a new one I hardly imagine the tyre depot are going to clean its inside before putting it on the recycle heap.
Thanks as a learning curve for me as never used the stuff. I assume to squirt it in through the valve, but not sure how it then finds the puncture as no pressure?
I cannot understand how it can spread evenly unless you are referring to the inside of the tyre and to the rear of the thread as surely due to centrifugal force it will spread only in the middle which I guess is where you want it to go?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks as a learning curve for me as never used the stuff. I assume to squirt it in through the valve, but not sure how it then finds the puncture as no pressure?
I cannot understand how it can spread evenly unless you are referring to the inside of the tyre and to the rear of the thread as surely due to centrifugal force it will spread only in the middle which I guess is where you want it to go?
Of course there is pressure and I am referring to the inside of the tyre and I don’t understand what you mean about the rear of the the thread. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to repair a puncture with a gunk kit as a roadside measure pending a proper repair. Repairs to sidewalks are a No No anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Of course there is pressure and I am referring to the inside of the tyre and I don’t understand what you mean about the rear of the the thread. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to repair a puncture with a gunk kit as a roadside measure pending a proper repair. Repairs to sidewalks are a No No anyway.
How can there be pressure if the tyre is flat or does the can contain enough pressure to inflate the tyre? I am trying to understand if there are any benefits to using the gunk and thank you for your time and patience

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I have the Conti kit in my EV, and it was in the PHEV before that. But for me it would be an absolute last resort - only if there was no chance of me getting recovered and missing a flight or boat as a result. The tyres on the EV are about £280 each, and are a Polestar specific specification. They can be repaired, but only if the gunk has not been used. Effecting a true repair would be the preference, and should be just as strong as the origional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts