Another newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Good afternoon everyone,

Hi there, I'm Steve, and my good lady and I have decided that after many years of happy camping in our tent, it's time to treat ourselves and enter the world of caravanning.

I 'll apologise in advance for all the questions to come ......

Firstly, i d love some thoughts on 'choice of car'. We've done all the soul searching and researching to make the first decision ( an unpopular one I know) : it's a Petrol we 're going for. ( currently max driving 40-50 miles a week, and none of it over 40 MPH. Wife works 2 miles away, 3 days a week, etc )
We had narrowed it down to three
1. Hyundai Tucson
2. Kia Sportage
3. Seat Ateca.
but after test driving the Tucson we decided for was physically just too big. Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of the other 2 ?

Ultimately our first van when we purchase it will be a small 2 berth tourer, the models we're looking at have Mtlm of 1100 to 1200 kg.
The sportage with the T-gdi engine has 175 Hp, and with a kerbweight of 1600 kgs, gives a good ratio for a first time tower like me.
The Ateca with the 1.5 Tsi is a good bit lighter at 1350 kg i think.
Budget is around 17K, for a 3 year old car.

Any advice gratefully received.

Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Clydesider, and welcome to Caravanning. Sadly I have no words of wisdom on a tow car, but I am sure someone will help you soon. I guess it might also depend on what else you need to transport. Dogs and bikes being the most obvious question.
Enjoy some exciting if tricky decision making.
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Steve welcome to the forum someone on here will answer any questions you have not me sorry i only here for moral support enjoy

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many people would recommend the Kia as it gives you scope to be able to tow a bigger caravan at some point in the future without having to buy another car. I have no experience of the Kia.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. The Kia and Hyundai are basically the same car with 7 year and 5 year warranties respectively. Both brands have excellent reputations for reliability. As Buckman says being heavier than the Seat gives some future proofing. Also space and load carrying capacity are extremely useful to caravanning.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Now that I've read the "what tools do you carry" thread, I might have to look for something much bigger ! Lol

Good point mentioned above re the future proofing. Given the current prices, this will be a car I'll be keeping for a good number of years, and I've got a friend who is already telling me I'll be changing my first van for a 'fixed bedroom ' within 2 years ! Gulp !

My main concern with the Sportage over the Ateca is how thirsty it is.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Now that I've read the "what tools do you carry" thread, I might have to look for something much bigger ! Lol

Good point mentioned above re the future proofing. Given the current prices, this will be a car I'll be keeping for a good number of years, and I've got a friend who is already telling me I'll be changing my first van for a 'fixed bedroom ' within 2 years ! Gulp !

My main concern with the Sportage over the Ateca is how thirsty it is.
The ATECA1.5 tsi engine is a good one and used throughout the VW group cars. You could consider an Octavia. Same engine, lots of load volume and well regarded for towing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome from Lanarkshire to the forum. I have no knowledge of the Kia but we have one f he top SEAT dealers in Scotland down the road and plenty of neighbours have them with no complaints that I have heard. They are certainly up to the job of towing a lightweight caravan.
Don't apologise for asking, it is those that fail to do that who are wrong.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
From a size,power,and economy point of view, the 1.5 Tsi is me engine e of choice. Maybe you experienced guys can tell me - an i getting too bogged down with Kerbweights ? The aforementioned Octavia is indeed a great car, but at 1295 kgs is very light. IF I stick to the 85% kerbweight 'advice' then my choice of van will be limited ?

Reactions: danwarnermeanwell
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts