Another puncture in the lake district

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
On Friday, after a walk up Langdale Pikes I dropped my OH off with the kids back at the caravan site (park foot) and drove into Pooley Bridge for a pint. As I left the site I felt the nearside tyre a bit 'squishy'. Using 12v compressor I keep I pumped it up and went into village. After a pint I came out to find it completely flat. Compressor made to effect, indeed after switching off car and compressor I could hear air sissing out at a rate of knots. I had to leave in the street in Pooley Bridge.

I had no coat and the heavens had opened....big time...no phone....no torch....pitch black. I decided to sprint back, through the darkness hitting the hedge when a car came. Its only about a mile.

Anyway, car has no spare, just a compressor/gunk injector which I dodn't trust. Next morning I phoned VW who sent RAC. They took me into Penrith tyre shop. I had a spare tyre but no wheel. RAC man smirked and said you shouldn't need that, they have every tyre in stock. Sure enough when we arrived they did not and wouldn't get one until Monday afternoon. Also, they wanted £250 for it. That £40 part worn off the internet was well worth it.

Upon returning, a friend told me he has had 2 punctures in the lake district and this is my second in 12 months. He told me its something to do with slate at the roadside ripping the tyres. Now the two punctures I've had there have both been tears in the inside edge and so I'm now wondering if there's something in it. Anybody else experienced this?

Also, I really need to buy a spare 19" wheel. But I can't find one. Don't suppose it matters what style it is or make. As long as its 5 bolt I am assuming it will fit? Are all the bolt holes the same distance from the centrepoint of the wheel?

Can't find one on ebay.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not all wheels of the same overall size have the same hole pitch diamter and they don't necessarily have the same offset between mounting face and centreline of tyre, either. You really need to know all 3 things: wheel size (you've got that, 19"), pitch circle diameter (including, of course, the number of holes), and the offset.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
You might also need the diameter of the hub centre if it protrudes through the wheel.

I spend a lot of time in the lakes & have never had a puncture (touch wood).

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....... a wheel is an important safety related item and as Lutz says there are a multitude of differences.

Your car wheels will have a part number.

I would recommend you obtain a spare from your VW dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Telegraph 'Honest John' articles and website discuss ttyre wear on the inside edges and there is a strong belief that going over the edges of mini islands is one possible cause, but the other is reckoned to be the truncated speed bumps which throw the supspension outwards. The advise is to drive ovver this type of speed bump with one wheel fully over the top and the other on the normal road surface.

But did you see Watchdog this week which showed BMW wheels that had cracked and BMW initilly were not willing to swop them under warranty, but then did agree to do so. It must be the dire state of our roads that does it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Telegraph 'Honest John' articles and website discuss ttyre wear on the inside edges and there is a strong belief that going over the edges of mini islands is one possible cause, but the other is reckoned to be the truncated speed bumps which throw the supspension outwards. The advise is to drive ovver this type of speed bump with one wheel fully over the top and the other on the normal road surface.

But did you see Watchdog this week which showed BMW wheels that had cracked and BMW initilly were not willing to swop them under warranty, but then did agree to do so. It must be the dire state of our roads that does it.
Hi Clive.

WE have a problem with a cracked BMW wheel and our local BMW dealer assures us that BMW will NOT entertain a warranty claim

Regards

Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts