another silly question from a nearly newbie.....

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
this is our first winter with a caravan - we have a 92 swift 450 and I have just drained the water via the side thingy by the flue (i think)- do i need to empty the toilet and all the components or will any of the chemicals used act as an anti-freeze ? i know i need to power up the van to flush the toilet, but now i have emptied the water (via the side thingy) will this cause any problems as the pump will operate empty.....if you see what i mean (dont you just love novices !!)

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i used to take the cassette out from the toilet ,put some baby sterilising solution fill up with water leave a few hours , then rinse out and dry ,then i used to drain the flush tank and refill and empty ,drain the boiler and leave taps open ,that was my method ,no doubt some one will have a different way ,but as we caravan all year we dont bother any more ,in fact we catch the ferry from Dover Wednesday morning and head off towards Spain , so a merry Christmas and Happy new year to all

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sean

There are no silly questions and we are always glad to try to help.

For every question asked by a newbie there might be one or two other new owners looking in who might benefit so ask away - we were all novices at one time.

The loo chemicals wont act as anti freeze and it's best to drain all liquids from the toilet.

The water that you flush is from the header tank so whilst flushing it the pump won't be operating 'dry'. It looks as though you already drained it.

After the header tank is empty then empty the bottom section of the cassette in the usual way.

Drain the water from the boiler and the water pipes, there is normally a valve to drain the system and leave all hot and cold taps open slightly.

You can read about preparing your caravan for winter by clicking

here

G

As Parksy has stated there are no questions which cannot be submitted for explanation. However, as with anything in life it is always a good idea to try and get as much knowledge about what you are doing from a variety of sources. Relying on a 'bit of advice' from a stranger, may or may not be satisfactory. Learning someone else's bad habits is not always progress.

I can only recommend that anyone wishing to glean a good basic knowledge of caravanning do no more than buy the Caravan Manual by John Wickersham ( I have no interest other than a satisfied customer, and I bought it after 30 years of caravanning). It is written clearly and not only gives a lot of information, it also allows a newbie to get clued up on the various 'technical terms' that the older hands are wont to throw about.

Possibly a request to Santa at this time of the year could pay dividends.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thank you everyone yor your advise and tips, its amazing how much i dont know - as this is our first caravan which we have owned since June 09 i really thought it was a case of buying a caravan and away you go, how wrong was I......but we have never had so much fun and cant wait for the warmer weather to get away, once again mainy thanks and a happy christmas & new year to you all - maybe see some of you on our travels next year!!

G

I do like your comment 'i really thought it was a case of buying a caravan and away you go,'. Amused me as in 1975 that is exactly what we did with our first van. There was no Internet, and magazines did not tell you that much so it was very much a case of 'suck and see'.

Some may comment that vans were simpler in those days, but with gas mantles to worry about, no motormovers at all, and certainly no casette toilets things were often quite 'surprising'. However, being adventurous our first trip was to a local site for a weekend where it poured buckets the whole time. Nearly put us off. Our 2nd outing was to Holland and then we decided to move on to the Black Forest, just because it seemed a nice place, all with 1 toddler and a baby. Came home with about 50p left in all our pockets, but never looked back.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Scotch-Lad - you are more adventurous than us - we have been out about 30 times since june and only manged to go about 15 miles from home, although we do live in Dorset i guess we are spoiled, hopefully next year might even venrure out of the county, but with 3 kids and 2 dogs you can guarantee we forget something, but hey be it 15 or 150 miles, its all the same and the kids n dogs love it - which we discovered it years ago.....

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Sean your absolutly right mate, 15 or 150 miles makes no difference. we tend to stay quite local in the winter, because of weather (wind) and we have just as nice a time as if we travel 100s of miles.

the only exception is when we go to France, love the place and the food.

Last xmas we went away for 10 days and went 18 miles away on exmoor, this year were going a long way, about 40 miles!!

Kevin

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sean your absolutly right mate, 15 or 150 miles makes no difference. we tend to stay quite local in the winter, because of weather (wind) and we have just as nice a time as if we travel 100s of miles.

the only exception is when we go to France, love the place and the food.

Last xmas we went away for 10 days and went 18 miles away on exmoor, this year were going a long way, about 40 miles!!

Kevin
kevin, 40 miles - not that confident yet, but the wife keeps nagging about going further, but like i say why, we all just love being out !!!

G

I was always dead keen on seeing what was over the next hill. Even as a kid I managed 10 miles or more, on a bicycle. Where I now live there is Soutra Hill, which is about 20 miles south. Once we have crossed that then we feel we have left home, and look forward to whatever lies ahead. The summer trip is usually 3-4000 miles, but over a long period of time. Why not? the car and van are just as fine in Spain as in wet England.

Of course as a working adult my job took me all over the world, and usually I had to take family with me. My wife became used to moving house, and country over a weekend. Just try crossing the border between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in a car, and see the fun, especially for your wife??

All I can say is that it is still a big world out there, and to not see some of it before you die, has to be a shame.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
kevin, 40 miles - not that confident yet, but the wife keeps nagging about going further, but like i say why, we all just love being out !!!
Thats what its all about mate we love being out as well, Id be out most w/e if the other 1/2 would let us.

Try winter vanning its even better than summer

Kevin

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was always dead keen on seeing what was over the next hill. Even as a kid I managed 10 miles or more, on a bicycle. Where I now live there is Soutra Hill, which is about 20 miles south. Once we have crossed that then we feel we have left home, and look forward to whatever lies ahead. The summer trip is usually 3-4000 miles, but over a long period of time. Why not? the car and van are just as fine in Spain as in wet England.

Of course as a working adult my job took me all over the world, and usually I had to take family with me. My wife became used to moving house, and country over a weekend. Just try crossing the border between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait in a car, and see the fun, especially for your wife??

All I can say is that it is still a big world out there, and to not see some of it before you die, has to be a shame.
Scotch-lad, you sound well traveled, and guess you have laid your roots down now, we would love to venture further and no doubt in time the kids (and wife) will push us further and further (geographically and mentally !!)

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
the only silly question is the one you do not ask

first thing to remember is any anti-freeze can be poison.i contacted thetford for the idea of using an anti-freeze in the toilet flush header tank,this was there reply by email.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Any antifreeze used should be non acidic and non corrosive. Generally any non toxic anti freeze that is mono propylene glycol based should be ok. If using anti freeze please adhere to the manufacturers instructions at all times.

Please refer to your Thetford Users Manual with regards to using the toilet in the winter. Please be aware that Thetford accept no responsibility for damage caused by any anti freeze products.

Kind regards,

Thetford Customer Care.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts