Another squeaky hitch

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
I have just fitted a new Tow Bar, driven 50 miles to a dealer"no noise" uncoupled the van stood by while he inspected my water heater, re-coupled and drove off. Then I experienced a terrible groaning and squeaky that was loud enough for most Forum readers to hear! I have read comments about using brake fluid my question is does it affect the stabiliser performance if used? any help or comments would be appreciated.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ron

DO NOT use brake fluid. This is a oil and will contaminate the pads. What you should use is brake CLEANER which is a solvent. White spirit can also be used but I have not used this myself.

The pads and the towball will need to be carefully and thoroughly rubbed down with 180 grit emery cloth to get rid of any shine and the swarf removed with the cleaner.

Hope this helps before you give yourself a big bill for new pads !

Regards

John M

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ron.Had the same problem with mine too.Someone suggested i used a fine emery paper to clean the friction pads then clean them with brake cleaner.I notice you mentioned brake fluid.I dont think brake fluid is suitable.I used the pressurised tin of brake cleaner which evaporates very quickly.

It seems to have done the trick for me.

hope this helps.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ron.Had the same problem with mine too.Someone suggested i used a fine emery paper to clean the friction pads then clean them with brake cleaner.I notice you mentioned brake fluid.I dont think brake fluid is suitable.I used the pressurised tin of brake cleaner which evaporates very quickly.

hope this helps.
Ah.Was beaten to it....lol

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site

hope this helps.
Thanks Adrian, I'll give this a try at least Iam not alone.

many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts