Another trip - another breakage

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just out of interest Prof, can you remember if the tests were done with the caravan wheels balanced, probably not something that was done in the 80's.
I know after I had my caravan wheels balanced I noticed that not so many panels or cupboard doors came loose.
I was not directly involved with the testing so I can't answer that specific point.

However I was involved with subsequent work where the results of the test runs were recorded and converted into a control input to an orthogonal articulated test jig, where the patterns and accelerations could be applied to sample products fitted to the test jig as part of our new product design process. It revealed a number of points of weakness that could be addressed before the products went into production.

We also utilised another facility at a packaging company that simulated the rigours a package would typically experience when being moved by couriers, 1.5M drop, puncture resistance, and sustained vibrations.

Despite all this testing, we couldn't prevent the damage arising at the caravan manufacturers by their "fitters"

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Despite all this testing, we couldn't prevent the damage arising at the caravan manufacturers by their "fitters"
I live round the corner from the Elddis factory and I have wondered why they let you in there for a wander round on their open weekend....

My hymer is about to get what for it is a major repair with 3 new rooflights going in. Happily I can still buy them as they are a current model and very reasonably priced to boot. That said I may still write and complain about them only lasting 20 years.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think my worst spillage was arriving in Suffolk ready to set up on pitch and finding the canister of instant coffee has leapt out of the now open cupboard all over the kitchen area! Thankfully a hand held vac in the caravan kit list!
Although it may be all in the mind but since replacement tyres with wheel balancing (some major weights added to the inside of the alloys) my clothes are much more likely to arrive still on the wardrobe rail instead of in a heap at the base of the cupboard!

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have never subscribed to the "Caravans need shock absorbers (!)" argument
My reasoning being that the "springs" on a caravan are basically rubber bands within the axle that compress. The amount of movement is very minimal so there is precious little rebound to need damping.
Others hold a different view, and that's fine, its wrong, but still fine :giggle:

Well, in Germany, if dampers aren't fitted, one would be limited to a weight ratio of 30% if one wanted to take advantage of the possibility of towing at 100km/h instead of at the usual limit for trailers (80km/h). I presume that tests were carried out prior to setting such a low weight ratio limit.

Reactions: JTQ
May 7, 2012
Visit site
In theory at least dampers should help and the Germans are usually very thorough when looking at these thins so there must be some science behind the legal restriction.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Our caravans here have damping anyway; the type of axle modern van's have there is an inherent level of shock absorption in the rubber itself.

Van makers can add to that with external shock absorbers, IMO no bad thing at all, a softer ride for the van the better, removing what harshness it can, will only be beneficial. It's not that optimising its road holding and sharpness of handling are an over whelming requirement.

"Need" additional damping is quite a different question; IMO the UK maker's decision is way more likely to be driven by the cost implications rather than any technical. desirability.

Our Hymers have both had these external shock absorbers as a standard factory fit. Again IMO, a hint to where they spend the money the product costs, one where I am pleased for it to be spent, but inevitably it costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I bought a van, had the wheels balanced and then just accepted that they are made of flimsy materials just to look good and keep the weight to a minimum I realise that this has to be the case and compromises must be made.
Nothing has ever broken on our van that I cannot fix.
I would respectfully suggest that we all just get on with it or find something different to do with our time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought a van, had the wheels balanced and then just accepted that they are made of flimsy materials just to look good and keep the weight to a minimum I realise that this has to be the case and compromises must be made.
I would respectfully suggest that we all just get on with it or find something different to do with our time.
There are plenty of posts on the Forum that show defects that even a competent DIY’er wouldn’t be able to fix.

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
All the things that have broken on my current and previous vans have been within my capabilities of fixing. Most of the items I have at home, srtuctural, mechanical or electrical I'm capable of fixing.

But for new items under warranty I shouldn't have to do that. Especially since obtaining some of the parts would be expensive e.g replacement front window; led backlights for new TV, cooker hood damaged by builder etc.

Once the warranty has expired its up to each individual to decide if they can fix it or not. I would rather enjoy my caravan than having to constantly fix things that break.

I raised the issue here to highlight the poor design and manufacturing that exists within the caravan industry - and I'm not alone. I know there are special constraints they have on design - weight, space etc - but manufacturing defects shouldn't be sent out the door.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All the things that have broken on my current and previous vans have been within my capabilities of fixing. Most of the items I have at home, srtuctural, mechanical or electrical I'm capable of fixing.

But for new items under warranty I shouldn't have to do that. Especially since obtaining some of the parts would be expensive e.g replacement front window; led backlights for new TV, cooker hood damaged by builder etc.

Once the warranty has expired its up to each individual to decide if they can fix it or not. I would rather enjoy my caravan than having to constantly fix things that break.

I raised the issue here to highlight the poor design and manufacturing that exists within the caravan industry - and I'm not alone. I know there are special constraints they have on design - weight, space etc - but manufacturing defects shouldn't be sent out the door.
The phrase β€œ fit for purpose” springs to mind. 😱

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Yes but they have a different interpretation of 'purpose' than mine.

Just to keep harping on about this, but the faults I see on my latest caravan are much the same as we had on the previous motorhome, from new in 2006. Our caravan before that was I think early 2000 and was much better built. I don't recall any problems with it.

I wonder when we'll see caravans made in the Middle Kingdom sold over here. Might be better quality.πŸ˜‰

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our recent breakage was the hinges on the battery box. This is the second one we have had on a caravan and seeing the repairer had another in at the same time it must be common although I cannot remember it being mentioned on here before.
The plastic hinges do not seem to be up to the job and for some reason other hatches have hinges with a metal bar through them, which is probably far better.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s worth watching the videos of caravans being made at Bailey and Swift.
On one hand they have invested in sophisticated laser cutting machines ensuring body panels are consistent in size.

Then it is spoilt by the Homo sapiens shoving it together with a kick here a kick there , hand applied sealant , wires left loose.

VW use robots to apply sealant to their engine mating surfaces ensuring a long lasting perfect seal. If only caravan manufacturers went that little bit further!

And yes Sam I too fix most things on the caravan . On board is a selection of tools fasteners, glues tapes, spares for taps fuses etc.
The latest a few weeks ago was fixing the bedroom skylight blind. A broken piece of plastic caused the failure. Cost , one hour, one self tapping screw, patienceπŸ‘New one Β£158.00!

Attachments

• IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It’s worth watching the videos of caravans being made at Bailey and Swift.
On one hand they have invested in sophisticated laser cutting machines ensuring body panels are consistent in size.

Then it is spoilt by the Homo sapiens shoving it together with a kick here a kick there , hand applied sealant , wires left loose.

VW use robots to apply sealant to their engine mating surfaces ensuring a long lasting perfect seal. If only caravan manufacturers went that little bit further!

And yes Sam I too fix most things on the caravan . On board is a selection of tools fasteners, glues tapes, spares for taps fuses etc.
The latest a few weeks ago was fixing the bedroom skylight blind. A broken piece of plastic caused the failure. Cost , one hour, one self tapping screw, patienceπŸ‘New one Β£158.00!
Can you post a picture after it was fixed. πŸ€”

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would respectfully suggest that we all just get on with it or find something different to do with our time

Okay, we can each have our views of what level of faults we find acceptable, if we want to enjoy and continue this hobby.

There must however be many that like the dream of caravanning, but are neither competent to keep doing repairs as and when to "enjoy" caravanning, or that happy to have to do so. More in that this is anything but "cheap" in financial terms.

Not a lot else we spend these levels of our earnings on, we then are told to "happily" accept that doing repairs reworking etc is all part and package of the ownership/ purchase experience.

IMO, it is not something we should quietly accept.
The more we discuss these issues, the more likely we will alert the naive purchaser from buying into these defective brands.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Reading about peoples woes regarding the faulty caravans, I have come away fairly unscathed, I started with a 2002 Sterling Eccles jewel, 5 years old, on the second outing, noticed the shower floor was cracked, the dealer replaced it straight away. Then a new 2010 Coachman 545, No problems at all, but we didn't like the rear Island bed layout, so changed to our present 2013 Coachman 560 VIP. New rear panel, cracked at top corner, replaced by Coachman, not the dealer, he had closed. We used this van every 12 weeks for a month for 5 years and have replaced the water heater/heater elements. The roof blinds are showing wear spots. But otherwise I think a good caravan. But I am constantly tinkering with little bits and pieces, loose screws etc.
A friend of mine bought a Bailey Unicorn at the same time as mine and went back for a new floor, in year 2, but otherwise another trouble free caravan.
So some you win, some you keep taking back to the dealer.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I realise that there are some things a DIYer can't fix, but I just haven't come across one yet.
And as for being fit for purpose, that goes out the window when you have 3 grandkids under 8

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have been away locally for the last 4 night, whilst having a new boiler and heating system fitted to the house.
But noticed that near the toilet 🚽 in the van , there was a damp area, over two days it got bigger, but no smell, Panic, thinks basics, dogs water bowl, next to the toilet, picked it up, tiny pin prick through the bottom. Thought the dog was drinking a lot. So thankfully not the caravan.
Got home, took hand over from the plumber, all good.
Took caravan back to storage, got home again, and the shower had burst a seal due to the new pressurised system, in the shower, nothing the plumber had done.
So bodged a seal, new control valve arriving Monday.
Thank goodness for beer and wine to de-stress, checking shower every 10 minutes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have been away locally for the last 4 night, whilst having a new boiler and heating system fitted to the house.
But noticed that near the toilet 🚽 in the van , there was a damp area, over two days it got bigger, but no smell, Panic, thinks basics, dogs water bowl, next to the toilet, picked it up, tiny pin prick through the bottom. Thought the dog was drinking a lot. So thankfully not the caravan.
Got home, took hand over from the plumber, all good.
Took caravan back to storage, got home again, and the shower had burst a seal due to the new pressurised system, in the shower, nothing the plumber had done.
So bodged a seal, new control valve arriving Monday.
Thank goodness for beer and wine to de-stress, checking shower every 10 minutes.
πŸ™‰πŸš½πŸ›πŸ§½πŸͺ£πŸ§»πŸΊπŸΊπŸ·πŸ·

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts