Any thoughts on why the fridge in our new Ace Globetrotter won’t switch on

Feb 12, 2023
Visit site
All the electrics work in the caravan, lights, microwave etc but the fridge won’t turn on. I press the on button for 2 seconds or more but nothing, any ideas?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A bit more information would assist. Is this a brand new caravan, or a new to you one! What make and model is the fridge (there are many different ones. Have you checked tge handbook and followed tge instructions in there?
Are you connected to EHU, are you trying to get the fridge to work on gas or 230V? (or even12v)
If gas have you turned the gas cylinder AND the manifold gas taps on? If 230v is the fridge plugged in AND is the switch on the socket switched on? If you are not on 230v the fridge will only work on gas, the 12v system onky works when you are hooked up to your car with its engine running.,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All the electrics work in the caravan, lights, microwave etc but the fridge won’t turn on. I press the on button for 2 seconds or more but nothing, any ideas?
Make sure the gas tap in the supply line is on. After the van had been standing I would light the cooker hobs oven and grill and let run fir a minute. Then light the cabin heater and run fir a minute. The gas supply to the fridge is very low so it can take time to fill the line. Two seconds is a very short time once you have done the above I would give it 5-10 seconds. Leave a minute and repeat if not lit. Can you hear the ingnitor sparking?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As per Mr Plodd more info is required as different fridges operate different ways plus there is an age thing. Fridge needs to be switched to Electric or gas as it will not work on 12v unless caravan is connected to the car a with the car engine running.

Feb 12, 2023
Visit site
It’s a 2022 Ace Globetrotter, brand new. The fridge is on 230 volts, not gas. The fridge is Dometic. Touch screen buttons on the front. Everything else in the caravan works, fridge worked 2 weeks ago, now won’t turn on at all. There doesn’t seem to be a plug anywhere for me to check! But I haven’t unplugged anything from 2 weeks ago. Thanks for your replies.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s a 2022 Ace Globetrotter, brand new. The fridge is on 230 volts, not gas. The fridge is Dometic. Touch screen buttons on the front. Everything else in the caravan works, fridge worked 2 weeks ago, now won’t turn on at all. There doesn’t seem to be a plug anywhere for me to check! But I haven’t unplugged anything from 2 weeks ago. Thanks for your replies.
If it is brand new, take it back to the dealer as it is their responsibility to resolve the issue. Seems Wandahome are stockists for this Swift caravan?

Reactions: Joey702
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Joey, check the fuses and also if there is a circuit breaker that has not been turned to the ON position in the main power box, it might be under the front seat.

Reactions: Joey702
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Is this the first time you have tried to use the fridge?
If so it's probable that there is something simple you are not doing as its function would have been checked on PDI.
Have you consulted the caravans handbook, or the fridge instructions that should be with the rest if the paperwork supplied with a new caravan.
If you have done all of that then it's back to the dealers.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A fridge, like any other mains powered item in a caravan (e.g. microwave etc,) will be supplied through a standard 13A socket somewhere hidden and very close to the fridge. Check for poor plug wiring or a blown plugtop fuse.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A fridge, like any other mains powered item in a caravan (e.g. microwave etc,) will be supplied through a standard 13A socket somewhere hidden and very close to the fridge. Check for poor plug wiring or a blown plugtop fuse.
By the same token a fuse in the plug blows for a reason

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If my old grey cell are correct, the plug for our fridge in our Coachman is under the front right seat, but fridge is on the left near the caravan door. All done too confuse us caravanners.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On our Coachman 560, The plug for the microwave is on a bulkhead ,behind and above the unit. It was always coming loose, until I changed the tyres( 5 years old) and had the wheels balanced, no more problem with the plug.
Just a thought, Joey if you can find the plug for the fridge.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
There is a small rated fuse behind the lower fridge vent. I suspect for the 12v control supply, I'd check that first.

May be worth checking, there's also a 240v connector behind there that might have not been pushed in all the way (i had that exact issue in mine)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record it would be interesting t see what rating of fuse is fitted in the plug. My money says 13A. However if it is a 3A it could fail mechanically whilst being towed - and I have had this happen to me in our caravan(s)..
As a field engineer for well over 30 years I often found a piece of kit would not work and traced it to the plugtop fuse which was always 3A. Replace it with a 2A or 5A (most of my test equipment didn't pull much power) and it never failed again, but drop a plug containing a 3A fuse onto a hard floor and it would almost always fail. My hypothesis is that there is a change in the combination of metals in the fusewire at 3A that makes it more mechanically brittle and hence why it fails.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts