Anyone done Rosyth to Rotterdam ferry?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stay in Ayrshire so I thought I'd check this out. I priced it for high season (24th June) weekend crossing, 7m caravan, 2 adults 2 young children, inside cabin ... over £1050 with fuel/port surcharges. Now this sounds astronomical and I'm tempted to go back to Devon. Has anyone found someone who discounts this route or is it expensive due to lack of competition? Thanks folks, Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you think there is a cartel operating on ferry routes? The only reason you have this service is because of the "help" the Scottish office gave to Superfast. The fact is that that Scottish route has a subsidy that English ferry routes do not in the form of constructing the port facilities. The price has nothing to do with competition rather the simple fact that the sailing distance is far longer than Dover - Calais. The overnight sailings in each direction take 18hrs. The sailing saves you over 490 miles driving to Dover each way and I would imagine a nights accommodation in each direction. Oh and for your information the sailing is from Rosyth to Zeebrugge and let me guess you only want to go in peak summer.....and think a year round operation shouldn't charge according to free market principles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you think there is a cartel operating on ferry routes? The only reason you have this service is because of the "help" the Scottish office gave to Superfast. The fact is that that Scottish route has a subsidy that English ferry routes do not in the form of constructing the port facilities. The price has nothing to do with competition rather the simple fact that the sailing distance is far longer than Dover - Calais. The overnight sailings in each direction take 18hrs. The sailing saves you over 490 miles driving to Dover each way and I would imagine a nights accommodation in each direction. Oh and for your information the sailing is from Rosyth to Zeebrugge and let me guess you only want to go in peak summer.....and think a year round operation shouldn't charge according to free market principles.
Mmm .. thanks for your helpful response Mike ... is this typical of the forum or have I been particularly lucky?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you compared the economics of driving to Newcastle then ferry to Ijmuiden? I found out for this year some days the 'van goes free. Hope this is of help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts