Anyone experience of towing with a new Kia Sorento (2021+) with Dual Clutch Transmission

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Folks

First a little personal background 3 years after a not-so -successful RIGHT knee replacement, (so not as much mobility and bend as I'd hoped for) post covid and the impacts of lock-down, etc (I had Covid quite badly only 2 weeks after my knee op!!!- NOT a good combination knee recovery + covid!!) Not much caravanning at all in the last 3 years.

However, wife Cary and I are hoping to return to caravanning, ie, several trips a year in the UK and 6+ weeks on the Continent every Summer as we used to do and maybe MORE so as we are now both retired. We are in the happy position of being able to afford to replace our 2007 SORENTO TITAN AUTOMATIC and 2006 Bailey Senator Arizona. We love both car and 'van BUT.... the caravan is beginning to show its age and we'd like a fixed bed and other frills to make us oldies' life more comfortable. Our bought-new Sorento has been a BRILLIANT tow car, especially in terms of reliability, but it is now wearing out in too many ways and it has come to the point of throwing away too much good money for repairs.

Choice of new caravan is not so difficult as there is plenty of choice and after a visit to last year's NEC show we have a short list. The car is NOT so easy. I am tempted by a NEARLY NEW model of the newest model Sorento (2021+) The Kia and few other electric car companies' versions are I feel not yet up to the sort of towing vehicle we need in terms of mileage range and towing ability, ie, we are thinking of a 1.5-2-ton caravan. I have recently test driven a 2021 Kia Sorento 3 diesel MANUAL and I was VERY impressed with t its new specifications. However, I NEED an AUTOMATIC DIESEL.

To get to the point I am concerned about the suitability of the ONLY diesel Kia Sorento, the Sorento DCT 2.2L diesel. My BIG concern is whether that car's SEMI automatic DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION is up to towing. I have done a lot of reading and watched numerous You Tube videos on dual clutch transmission semi- automatic and I am now aware of its weaknesses, ie, don't drive slowly in 1st or reverse gears where the clutch will be repeatedly "slipping", especially under load, eg, towing in stop/start heavy traffic or reversing the van slowly up steep inclines and I don't usually do tow in either of those scenarios,

However, now I would like to ask for comments from CT members who have any pertinent comments PARTICULARLY, but not only, anyone who tows A LARGE caravan (1500-2000 Kg) with a recent. DCT SEMI-AUTOMATIC SORENTO.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a Superb 4WD estate with DSG which is similar to DCT, and was very aware of the fact it is a semi auto gearbox with clutches albeit mine were wet lubricated. But in the scenarios you describe I drove it to minimise clutch wear. All my previous autos were either torque converter epicyclic or CVT. So with the DSG pitching on site, putting it on the drive ( uphill slope with turn) into storage I used the mover. I currently have a 2022 Xceed 1.5T with DCT which is a really good drive and I also use stop start as other than keep putting it in neutral stop start prevents clutch wear which doesn’t come under the 7 year warranty, where as faults with the stop start components are covered. But I don’t tow with the Xceed. Given I were buying a new auto tow car I would choose one with a torque converter epicyclic gearbox…… a conventional auto. Although a PHEV could be an option.

PS like your existing outfit. In 2005 we sold a troublesome Disco 2 and leaky ABI (3 years old) and bought a Sorento and Series 5 Bordeaux. Probably best outfit we’ve had. We went everywhere with it. Sold the Sorento in 2010 after 70000 trouble free miles and Bordeaux went in 2014. My wife still doesn’t let me forget the sale of either. 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a Superb 4WD estate with DSG which is similar to DCT, and was very aware of the fact it is a semi auto gearbox with clutches albeit mine were wet lubricated. But in the scenarios you describe I drove it to minimise clutch wear. All my previous autos were either torque converter epicyclic or CVT. So with the DSG pitching on site, putting it on the drive ( uphill slope with turn) into storage I used the mover. I currently have a 2022 Xceed 1.5T with DCT which is a really good drive and I also use stop start as other than keep putting it in neutral stop start prevents clutch wear which doesn’t come under the 7 year warranty, where as faults with the stop start components are covered. But I don’t tow with the Xceed. Given I were buying a new auto tow car I would choose one with a torque converter epicyclic gearbox…… a conventional auto. Although a PHEV could be an option.

We had a Mondeo with Powershift gearbox and it was terrible. After 6 months traded it in fro a vehicle with e conventional auto box and never looked back. Nowadays it is difficult to find newish autos with a conventional auto box.
My earlier previous 4x4's had a seperate lever for high and low ratio and another for selecting AWD or 4x4 mode. Never had an issue with the gearbox. My more recent 4x4s have the electronic high and low ratio and are permanent AWD drive. However if you do not use the electronic high and low function every now and then, it can end up costing you a pretty packet for the repair. Over £2000 repair for something you may only use once or twice a year!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts