Anyone fitted a new skylight or windows?

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just wondered, who's been brave enough to cut a hole in their lovely motorhome to fit a new Heki rooflight or an extra window? Pretty scary, I reckon. How did it go for you?

If you're thinking about doing a job like this you might like to read our guide - Build a camper - fitting side windows.

We put a post on our Facebook page about it the other day and it turns out that Susan Hutchings' husband is one of the brave ones! She's rightly proud of him.

So, has anyone else attempted this? Any tips for fellow motorhome-owners?

Practical Motorhome shared a link.
25 January

Gulp! This is one for the brave! How to cut a hole in the side of your self-build. Remember, measure twice, cut once...

Build a camper - fitting side windows | Practical Motorhome
www.practicalmotorhome.com
WHEN
COVERTING A panel van into a camper van, extra side windows in the rear
are often required to give some natural light and generally brighten up
the habitation area.

1Unlike · · Share

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This was interesting, the fact that this sort of thing is done, or at least possible, I've recently bought a coachbuilt, without external access to the storage under the rear lounge seats, and was considering trying to cut and fit a door of somesort to the outside.

I'll keep searching for anything more like the need I have - but this was a good read and at least a clue to the sort of work it would entail

cheers, dan

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I Have,I made a cardboard template,cut it out with a high speed metal jigsaw blade,sealed it with Sikaflex 512, you will need to check that you are not cutting any seat supports out, so you will need to get the propper sized one.will try and find the link for the one I put in.
Heres the link where I got mine from.
http://www.autocraftmotorcaravans.com/category.asp?c=185
Just a point,cut it out the best you can,as the skin you cut out is used for the locker door inlay.

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Peter, that's really helpful.
smiley-smile.gif

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
the old warrior said:
I Have,I made a cardboard template,cut it out with a high speed metal jigsaw blade,sealed it with Sikaflex 512, you will need to check that you are not cutting any seat supports out, so you will need to get the propper sized one.will try and find the link for the one I put in.
Heres the link where I got mine from.
http://www.autocraftmotorcaravans.com/category.asp?c=185
Just a point,cut it out the best you can,as the skin you cut out is used for the locker door inlay.

blimey, thats really good of you, cheers mate. i thought i might be mad thinking of taking a power tool to the bodywork! but there's all that storage under the rear lounge and i don't want to trapse all the gear into the van to load/unload. i think i'll need to be mindful of the heating pipes and other wires too - we pick it up tomorrow so will be having a good look this weekend.

cheers!

dan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts