Anyone have experience exporting their caravan to New Zealand?

Ky

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi you crazy caravaners in the mother land.

Down here in the antipodeans, we have our hearts set on a new 2008/9 sprite alpine 4, but the local dealers want far too much of our very hard-earned cash to part with their shiny new stock. We are wondering whether we should just buy a new one in your neck of the woods put it on a boat, do any conversions and pay assorted on-road costs, etc.

Alarm bells are ringing at the risks involved and potential problems with warranties, etc.

Has anyone done something similar and have any great tips for us or can please point us in the right direction of someone who may have or can help us?

Perhaps you know a helpful dealer who has experience with such matters?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, I am only guessing, but I would imagine any savings you may make on purchase price buying here would be swallowed up , and more, with shipping costs.

Do not forget that you would have to pay VAT at the UK rate, shipping, customs etc etc, and you would not have the dealer backup as in all likeliness the local dealers may say to you,you did not buy it here,we dont want to look after it.

Ky

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Tony, I am only guessing, but I would imagine any savings you may make on purchase price buying here would be swallowed up , and more, with shipping costs.

Do not forget that you would have to pay VAT at the UK rate, shipping, customs etc etc, and you would not have the dealer backup as in all likeliness the local dealers may say to you,you did not buy it here,we dont want to look after it.
They seem so expensive here. A sprite alpine 4 is about 13,500 pounds.

We'd be exempt from the VAT, and from what we can gather, there is no import duty. It looks like we'd just pay freight, landing, insurance, registration, warrant of fitness and electrical testing/inspection, and our equivalent of VAT called GST. And we'd need to accept there would be no warranty - I doubt we'd get any love from the local stockists.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ky,

I think you are considering a high-risk strategy from at least a couple of perspectives. It is a sad fact that most UK vans (and others as well) do seem to have more than their fair share of warranty problems. I think is a case of 'when will it go wrong?' rather than if?

As you seem to be aware, it is unlikely any of your local dealers would look after any warranty, and that might leave you out on quite limb, with regards getting the faulty parts replaced or repaired. Even if what seems to be a similar caravan is sold in NZ, there may sufficient differences to make some spare available in NZ be unsuitable for your UK van.

This could mean an unserviceable caravan whilst you wait for spares from old-blighty with exorbitant transport costs. There is also the likely problem that the manufacture will refuse to deal direct but will redirect your enquiries to their dealer network, who in turn will not normally have export facilities.

I have no idea what your transportation costs are likely to be from UK to NZ, but I guess as others have said may well exceed the difference in price. There is also the very real prospect that the caravan may be damaged whilst in transit. It is most likely to be a deck side cargo rather than in a protected hold.

It is not a prospect that I would entertain, so I offer my sincerst hopes that what ever you choose works out fine for you.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ky

A good friend of mine who emigrates to NZ in '98 has just done exactly what you want to do but purchased 2 caravans! He was explaining to me that the British makes are a lot more expensive over there, so he sourced 2 from the UK, sorted out the shipping and they arrived last week. He saved quite a bit of money doing it this way and will sell one of the caravans to pay for the one he's keeping. If you want some details, I might be able to put you in touch with him, cheers Brian

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I would love to contact your friend re- info. I am just doing the process now. My estimates are VERY positive and even if you pay the GST in NZ @17.5% (your exempt VAT on exports)and sell it, you stand to make 100% profit. I intend to purchase a 2006 model, have it exempt from duty (must keep for two years)and then sell....and I will stil make on the deal. If all goes well, I will do two a year.

Of course no agent will cover warrenty, but you wont get one with a second hand van in NZ anyway. Not unless you want to pay $47,000 for a 08 pageant. I am not that cash rich!

Happy to share my research and experience on my first import in May 09.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ky,

I've read of someone doing what you suggest. He posted under the name of Kiwi Pete, I haven't "seen" him around for a while though. He seemed to post most frequently on the caravanning4u forum, could I suggest you have a look there and see if there is a way of contacting him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts