Anyone used or got a 2000w pure sine wave inverter? As im looking for a decent one

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Dusty,

Basic electrical formulas suggest that to produce 2000W from a 12V source would need 2000W/12V = 166A.

That suggests that a 110Ah battery would be fully depleated in about 35 to 40 Minutes.

To run the hair dry you would of course need a 2000W 12Vdc to 230Vac inverter, which will also use a little power of its own.

BUT, There are a number limiting factors that might reduce that time further.

Caravan battery chargers will only charge a battery to between 85 to 90% of its full capacity. So at best your 110Ah battery will only have about 95 to 100Ah.

As batteries age, their capacity is also reduced.

Also leisure batteries do have a limited maximum current draw so you would need to check the batteries specification to see if its is capable of supplying 166A.

Further, Most inverters have a battery protection system so if the batteries terminal voltage fall below a threshold it turns off. Its quite possible the battery may still have 20 to 30Ah charge remaining, but is unavailable to the inverter.

So all in all you may get 20 Minutes from a caravan charged battery.

Alternatives:-
Only use sites with EHU, Get a 2kW generator,
Send the OH to the toilet block where a 13A 230V supply is available,
Tell her you love the bad hair day wild look!

Thanks John

I'll stick to EHUs and gas.

Better still SWMBO can have the bad hair day!

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is wishing to do the same you must ensure you have the correct cabling between the battery and inverter. If not you could cause a fire.

I will also be fitting a battery box vent just incase the sealed battery plugs blow (the little ones) due to the high charge and discharge rate.

I'll be using a battery desulphatercharge while the van is parked at home to ensure the battery life is extended due to heavy use.

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi oBladeo,
Did you buy a PS inverter in the end? If so which make and how's it's performance been?
I'm after a 1500W one and having the same trouble as you re recommendations / reviews / makes.
Anybody else any recommendations?
Thanks
Babs

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to post a pic of the fitted inverter. Just need to screw the cables down and fit another battery box to the rear of the van otherwise it works perfect. I fitted the remove in the above cupboard so the kids don't play with it.

Not had time to finish it off yet due to having to fit a new boiler and fixing about 1000 other things on the van that was broken. (also needs a good clean down there as not had chance since fixing leaking boiler)

Took the caravan to a paintball event and worked perfect so really happy

10339569_10154189402430635_1678583883801496884_n.jpg

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I do not understand your set up at all........where does the power come from?
Do you just go away for a couple of days with all your batteries fully charged at home before you leave or how does it work?

I have a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter that cost £98.00 it is transported in the tow car so no caravan weight penalty.
I can fit it to the tow car 168 amp hour battery in minutes and connect the output to the caravan mains inlet socket with a made up cable.
The caravan is then powered with mains electricity as it would be on ehu albeit at 600watts.
I use this supply to charge the caravan battery via the on board 12 volt smart battery charger.
It can also power a 500 watt mains hairdryer which my wife uses!
All this extra equipment is left at home if I am going to an ehu site and my wife then takes a 1800 watt hairdryer.

Why do you need 3000 watts?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts