Apache porch awning

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We've just visited the NEC caravan show to look at lightweight awnings. Really good day out, bar the queues.

Had a look at the Sunncamp Ultimas which seem great value if a bit flimsy. What we did like was the Apache porch, similar to the Sunncamp Ultima but a lot more robust looking, saying that though it was double the price.

Has anybody any experience of the Apache awnings as we're wondering if it's worth paying that much more for them?

Would be very greatful of any comments.

All the best

Tomo

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
I have an Apache porch awning.After 3 years the canvas is ok,but the springs in the frame have packed up in some of the legs,we now have to duck tape certain joints as we assemble it.

You get what you pay for and it is no Isabella.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tom,

We had an full and a porch apache awning, we had thought about buying a lightweight porch awning but they didn't seem to match the apache

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Like others here, we've got a full size Apache awning - which we find to be sound as a pound.

Like you, we went to the NEC show and looked at the Apache porches - they looked good, but were rather pricey, in our opinion. For the same sort of money, you could pick up a Bradcot or an Aventura porch - which were of much better quality.

If the Apache was

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone thanks for the comments.

We finally took the dip and bought a conventional Apache Madrid porch awning, a back number deal off Robinsons. Funnily enough have just this minute recieved the poles ( they're in a real hessian sack) and am now awaiting the awning itself.

I mentioned on another post that we toyed with having one of the lightweights but rightly or wrongly think the conventional type will be better for all weathers.

We're not too worried on quality issues as we owned a Cabanon tent years ago before caravanning and they were along with Trio then the tops. In fact CGI/Cabanon used to supply a fairly largs proportion of all canvas used in camping.

As for the springs in the poles Frank I've replaced them before when camping, absolutely simple, take seconds, probably quicker than duck tape. Did look at other makes but couldn't get a porch to fit between the windows on our Bailey Burgundy or if they did they were a bit small. The Madrid is just right 275 x 250cm. As for Isabella lovely awnings but didn't want to have to take a mortgage out again, I know they last for ever but I might not. If the Apache is up to the old Cabanon standards I'll be well pleased

Many thanks

Tomo

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tom,

I did a search on Apache porch awning and found your post. How are you getting on with the madrid awning.I have just ordered one and chose this because of the size and fitting it between windows. I wanted the Isabella Magnum, but this would have crossed a window. Please let me know what you think of the awning and how long it takes to erect. We have downsized from a full awning because it was just too much hassle putting it up especially for shorter trips. Thanks in anticipation. Denise.

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We have a Sunncamp 260 and have just returned from a holiday in Wales where we had a few very windy days and our awning was the only one left standing after two days of winds gusting at 70mph. We wouldn't have put the awning up if we had known that the weather was going to be so bad but it was two weeks into the holiday. We watched as other awnings went over the top of caravans and were ripped off the sides of the vans these included Bradcott and other good awnings. We managed to put a storm strap over the front of the awning looping it through two elastic hoops and made sure it was well pegged down. We have only had this awning a few months and it has been through the Easter snows and some very heavy rain. We are very pleased with it although I must admit you couldn,t sleep in it as its quite drafty but we only use it for table chairs and shoes and to dry off the dogs. We have Bradcot porch awning which is a real pain to put up and has scratched the caravan on windy days not at all happy with it. We have had full awnings which were a lot easier to put up than the Bradcot Porch !! Only takes us 15mins to put up the Sunncamp Great!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts