Arachnaphobes' Hiding Place!

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone seen the new advert for the Nissan Note? I want one! Apparently you can hide from giant spiders in them!

Seriously though, I wondered how many people are actually influenced by adverts when thinking of changing their car? What sort of adverts make you sit up and take notice, or shout 'Yeah! I want one!'?

Personally I tend to avoid commercial T.V. because on the whole I find the adverts at worst, patronising and boring, but I do like adverts that make me laugh! So is there a specific car or caravan advert that has got you making a beeline for a specific model?

Whoops, meant to put this posting in 'Chit Chat', got it wrong again......

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I moved your topic from New Members Cynth :)
My car has actually become a hiding place for arachnids although not giants. :woohoo:
There's been one living inside my door mirror on my Mitsubishi Pajero for ages, it hides when I go through a car wash and re-emerges to spin a web between the mirror and the door when the car is dry.
The webs survive towing at 60mph down the motorway although the spider scuttles off back inside the mirror housing.
Boris has a few miles under his (or her) belt now :lol:

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for moving this topic Parksy.

Door mirrors seem to to be a favourite hiding place for spiders, and doesn't it say a lot about the strength of their webs, that they can survive winds of 60mph! They're not so keen on hot water and car shampoo on a sponge though!. Doesn't matter how many times I wash the damned things off, the spiders have spun a new web by the next day, or earlier, persistent little whats-its. Still, as long as they stay OUTSIDE of the car I can tolerate them on the door mirror!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We used to have a spider called Fred.He was huge, and lived behind the fireplace, only coming out when the house was quiet, say when herself and I were having a quiet whisky before going to bed.He (or she) used to stroll quietly from one side of the hearth to the other, then back again, and never varied his routine, winter or summer.Eventually, he just became part of the furniture, and we only really noticed him if he didn't come out, if you see what I mean.
Anyway, a couple of years went by, we sold the house and moved to the little paradise we now live in.We'd been here only a couple of days, drinking our evening tipple when herself remarked that the only thing missing was Fred.So, the next day, we went to visit the new people in our old house, just to be sociable, but really to see if we could pick up Fred.
Eventually, we worked the conversation round to spiders, and the soulless bl**dy woman said " Oh, there was a great big one came out the first night were here, so I squashed it with me shoe!" :angry:
RIP Fred; it was twenty six years ago now, but we still think of him!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We always name our big spiders, the last one was called Henry. He came out for a stroll most evenings just like Fred but we haven't seen him for ages. He may have gone to the big spider web in the sky (possibly assisted on his way by the dog). I quite like spiders. They keep the flies and other less desirable bugs down. Also my mother used to say that having house spiders was the sign of a dry house.

mel

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Neither wife, and especially daughter, like the creatures so I have to promptly dispatch them when found in our house. :evil:

The car wing mirrors were also home to spiders. Marvelous how spiders are attracted to them. New car is about 8 weeks old but it hasn't gained any yet.
;)

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
emmerson said:
We used to have a spider called Fred.He was huge, and lived behind the fireplace, only coming out when the house was quiet, say when herself and I were having a quiet whisky before going to bed.He (or she) used to stroll quietly from one side of the hearth to the other, then back again, and never varied his routine, winter or summer.Eventually, he just became part of the furniture, and we only really noticed him if he didn't come out, if you see what I mean.
Anyway, a couple of years went by, we sold the house and moved to the little paradise we now live in.We'd been here only a couple of days, drinking our evening tipple when herself remarked that the only thing missing was Fred.So, the next day, we went to visit the new people in our old house, just to be sociable, but really to see if we could pick up Fred.
Eventually, we worked the conversation round to spiders, and the soulless bl**dy woman said " Oh, there was a great big one came out the first night were here, so I squashed it with me shoe!" :angry:
RIP Fred; it was twenty six years ago now, but we still think of him![/quote

What a lovely story emmerson, - albeit with a very sad ending - and I don't understand why the new householder had to squish poor Fred? As is known by fellow Woosie members, I'm terrified of spiders, but I don't kill them if they come indoors. As long as they don't run too fast I can usually put a glass beaker over the top of them, slide a card underneath and carry my prisoner out to the garden for release - over my neighbour's fence! as Mel points out, spiders have their uses, but it takes a huge effort on my part to capture them. I have to be very careful not to scream at a spider in front of Echo, or she squishes them with one of her front paws then looks at me as if to say 'you were frightened of that???. :dry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts