Are prices increasing to ridiculous levels?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A new 2025 Coachman Lusso is now £52,195.
Bailey and Swift have models touching the £50k mark

Are manufacturers pricing themselves out of the market?
At these price levels should we expect a radical improvement in quality?😉
A bigger problem is that if you have New for Old insurance the premiums will be a lot higher than expected especially if your caravan is 4 - 6 years old and costs in the thirties when purchased.

Our caravan was just over £30k when purchased almost 7 years ago and at the time we thought it was quite expensive. To replace it today is about £50k and it is still almost the same caravan, the increase is a massive £20k in 7 years.

Originally our premiums were under £500, but now they are close to £600 and we dread the premium if we had to choose New for Old later this year. Definitely going to opt for market value.

Reactions: otherclive

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We called into a large dealership when we were away looking for a particular accessory ( which they didn’t have: got one off t’internet instead) and had a wander around the caravan stock, like you do. They had row after row of brand new unsold 2024 Caravans still for sale; all marked with a discount. This was end of August, presumably new 2025 stock hits the forecourt in about a month. No wonder dealerships are struggling and Swift are making 175 folks redundant at their factory. You would have thought that this would apply significant downward pressure on new Caravan prices; but it doesn’t seem to.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We called into a large dealership when we were away looking for a particular accessory ( which they didn’t have: got one off t’internet instead) and had a wander around the caravan stock, like you do. They had row after row of brand new unsold 2024 Caravans still for sale; all marked with a discount. This was end of August, presumably new 2025 stock hits the forecourt in about a month. No wonder dealerships are struggling and Swift are making 175 folks redundant at their factory. You would have thought that this would apply significant downward pressure on new Caravan prices; but it doesn’t seem to.
Mel
Caravanning started off as a "cheap" holiday, but now it is being priced for the well off. Probably why the CAMC chose a Porsche costing over £100, 000 as the car of the year. If you were wealthy, probably unlikely you would want to caravan as easier to jet off somewhere!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We went to caravan dealer near to home the amount of 2024 e.g Bailey Phoenix GT75 762 price at £25,000 to 2024 Elddis Buccaneer Barracuda price £44,449 .
At the time we were looking for a 2 berth camper

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think wages have kept up with the escalating price of caravans?
Or cars too. I read that major manufacturers are pulling back from ICE as the threat of fines of up to £15000 a car over the designated fleet emissions levels means they are not prepared to risk fines. August was a good month for EV at around 18% of sales, but the target to avoid fines is 22%. That is bound to reflect on ICE prices as with lower potential sales I suspect makers will want to protect profits. In parallel import taxes on Chinese EV can be just under 50%. Volvo have called it a perfect storm as their ekectric models are predominantly made in China, and cutting back on ICE would see reduced sales in that market. All this will reflect on preowned car prices too..

At this rate we will all be back on bikes and buses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Strictly Dusty is correct:- we should expect to have great quality caravans at that price, but as others have pointed out it should also apply to all new caravans regardless of the price point.

It's a reflection on the state of play when we even have to mention the idea of expecting quality. A customer who buys a new UK caravan who finds literally absolutely nothing wrong with it, is the exception, but it should be the rule.

Caravans have been around for about a century, longer if you include the horse drawn ones. Long enough for the basic requirement of them to be weatherproof to have been thoroughly and conclusively resolved. Long enough for them to be strong enough to survive a life on the roads.

Despite what the manufacturers may claim, In the context of our modern world, caravans are not cutting edge technology, nor are they high precision devices and their concept is not new. The manufacturers should not be hiding behind such weak excuses for the failures they dispatch from their factories.

End users should be livid when even small things are not right with their new purchase. But all too often they are problems which shouldn't even have got through the factories cursory final inspections. Its the apparent total disrespect the manufacturer seem to show towards end users, by putting profits ahead of ensuring customer satisfaction first time every time.

Caravans manufacturers are already charging their customers extra to cover expected warranty costs. If their products design and build quality were improved, the manufacturers could and should reduce the prices of their products by several thousand pounds based on 2024 prices.

There are many examples that show preventing common product failures at the design stage is far cheaper than having to resolve the problem when it's in the discovered by the user. Caravan manufacture's don't seem to realise that by adopting such principles, can make a company far more profitable on a smaller turnover.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Or cars too. I read that major manufacturers are pulling back from ICE as the threat of fines of up to £15000 a car over the designated fleet emissions levels means they are not prepared to risk fines. August was a good month for EV at around 18% of sales, but the target to avoid fines is 22%. That is bound to reflect on ICE prices as with lower potential sales I suspect makers will want to protect profits. In parallel import taxes on Chinese EV can be just under 50%. Volvo have called it a perfect storm as their ekectric models are predominantly made in China, and cutting back on ICE would see reduced sales in that market. All this will reflect on preowned car prices too..

On the other hand, Volvo have reneged on their decision to go EV-only from 2030 and are investing big in new IC hybrid models - VW are reviewing the EV plans because their sales in Germany are poor. The Chinese are attempting to flood Europe with cheap EVs butthe EU are likely to increase tariffs on them - Stellantis have huge discounts on new EVs from Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

However by the same token owners of ICE vehicles will keep their vehicles longer leading to a further downturn in sales as most EVs are unaffordable for the the general public and the infrastructure is not there yet.

We will be hanging onto aour ICE vehicles as long as possible or maybe trading them in for a another ICE vehicle as I am not even keen on hybrid vehicles which are being forced on us.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However by the same token owners of ICE vehicles will keep their vehicles longer leading to a further downturn in sales as most EVs are unaffordable for the the general public and the infrastructure is not there yet.

We will be hanging onto aour ICE vehicles as long as possible or maybe trading them in for a another ICE vehicle as I am not even keen on hybrid vehicles which are being forced on us.
Actually for many the increase in charging facilities in the last 12 months has made good progress. But those who cannot have domestic chargers do face a problem, as commercial chargers aren't cheap. My grandson had Tesla Model Y and didn't find charging to be a problem when out on business trips, or holidays in Devon and Scotland. When not on business trips, or holiday, the home charger did the job, with occasional top ups at work.

If more hang on to their ICE for whatever reason that will also put pressure on pre owned sale prices. Covid all over again.

But it is going to be an uncertain few years.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the other hand, Volvo have reneged on their decision to go EV-only from 2030 and are investing big in new IC hybrid models - VW are reviewing the EV plans because their sales in Germany are poor. The Chinese are attempting to flood Europe with cheap EVs butthe EU are likely to increase tariffs on them - Stellantis have huge discounts on new EVs from Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall.
The impending EU tariffs On Chinese made EVs range from 17,4% to 39.6%, and these are on top of the 10% standard tariff on imported cars. So total tariff could be just under 50%. American tariffs are already 100%. Britain has not declared its position yet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
May I suggest that those commenters that tells us that sales of EV's are down should do a google search using the question "uk sales of evs", and look down the pages. Far from dumping they seem to steady or increasing. Some top marques may be seeing a slow down, but that because there is now a wider selection of more affordable models becoming available.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
May I suggest that those commenters that tells us that sales of EV's are down should do a google search using the question "uk sales of evs", and look down the pages. Far from dumping they seem to steady or increasing. Some top marques may be seeing a slow down, but that because there is now a wider selection of more affordable models becoming available.
Please name some of these affordable models. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If Stellantis brands selling EVs nearly new with up to £15,000 off list price isn't dumping, what is ?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The impending EU tariffs On Chinese made EVs range from 17,4% to 39.6%, and these are on top of the 10% standard tariff on imported cars. So total tariff could be just under 50%. American tariffs are already 100%. Britain has not declared its position yet.
The EU is considering increasing the level of tariff to around the same level as the USA.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can we stick to the names of the affordable cars. LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You really need to define "affordable' as "affordable" to one person is "expensive " to another. But there seems to be a trend with mid to lower end EVs being in a similar zone to ICE as they are introduced to the market. But none would satisfy a towing need, but would make excellent cars for non towing customers. here is a selection.

There are also quite a few pre owned EVs entering the market place. Our local Kia main dealer has 12 Teslas ranging from £19500 to £35000, with reasonable to low mileage. Plus a MB EQC at £28800 and 24475 miles at 2 /12 old. Then you drop down to the Sportages, EV6 , I-Pace at £20350 etc. As I walk around the area with the dog I cannot help but notice the increasing number of new or pre owned the appear on drives. So change is happening. But what the moves towards tariffs will be is anyones guess.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The EU is considering increasing the level of tariff to around the same level as the USA.
Where is that stated, as most media reports seem to report the max EU tariff will be between 17% and 38% plus the normal trade tariff of 10% on goods imported into the EU.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Where is that stated, as most media reports seem to report the max EU tariff will be between 17% and 38% plus the normal trade tariff of 10% on goods imported into the EU.
Maybe I'm mistaken and amalgamating what's been anounced and what's being considered.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof’s #10 eloquently set the scene. One for publication in PCv , but they won’t , PC and all that junk.

The list of EVs above serves no useful purpose for me. The Dacia or was it the Zoe boast 140 miles on a full charge. Realistically I suspect it is 100 miles. All very ideal for some people but as a long distance tugger no use to me. I now own up to four EVs , two bikes a redundant buggy and a lawn mower which all perform superbly.

As and when the final Ice comes off the line I’ll look out for a low mileage , one or two year old and buy him as a “sees you out job”.
Do you think a VW diesel will last me 20 years 🤪🤪

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts