Are these vents covers safe.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The pics show my vents on my fridge, First uncovered and the second covered.
I've never had course to use the covers on gas, as the CLs I use have EHUand have used them when necessary when chilly, but usually used mainly to keep weather out in winter storage.
Are they safe on GAS as there is no extra vent for chimney. Never sure.

Attachments

• Vents !.jpg
    Vents !.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Vents 2.jpg
    Vents 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 18

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Yes, otherwise great big warnings would have to be on them and in the user manual. They are for use below a certain ambient, where things could get too cold, in my case a figure given in my manual.

Depending on model they can have a flue, aligned with one in the upper vent, or otherwise what Dometic etc feel is adequate venting. Your upper vent has no separated flue, so like my much larger one will have the adequate common vent in the cover.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, otherwise great big warnings would have to be on them and in the user manual. They are for use below a certain ambient, where things could get too cold, in my case a figure given in my manual.

Depending on model they can have a flue, aligned with one in the upper vent, or otherwise what Dometic etc feel is adequate venting. Your upper vent has no separated flue, so like my much larger one will have the adequate common vent in the cover.
Thanks, never seemed to get a straight answer before.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The pics show my vents on my fridge, First uncovered and the second covered.
I've never had course to use the covers on gas, as the CLs I use have EHUand have used them when necessary when chilly, but usually used mainly to keep weather out in winter storage.
Are they safe on GAS as there is no extra vent for chimney. Never sure.
i only put the covers on like the second picture (not use them with gas) when we put it away with the breathable cover in the winter period :)

Reactions: DaveA1

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
There you are two different answers:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well not really, of course you will find some that don't use them or follow the makers instructions, or use them with gas or even some rarely use gas at all.

I have dug out my Dometic operating instructions and installation. manual.
It addresses "Winter Operation", but makes no specific mention of use on gas or electricity.
They state that these covers "should be fitted when the outside temperature falls below +8C. This protects the unit from excessively cold air".
Note the "should" and protecting "the unit", and the quite high ambient from where they "should" be used.

Whereas in the installation manual, they clearly do flag up the ramifications of flue emissions. This occurs in respect to the positioning and minimum distances of the flue to openings.

In this rightly hazard conscious age if the covers presented even a low real risk, there would be warnings plastered everywhere.

All that said, if we use any gas appliance in our confined vans, then fitting a monoxide alarm is IMO a no brainer.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well not really, of course you will find some that don't use them or follow the makers instructions, or use them with gas or even some rarely use gas at all.

I have dug out my Dometic operating instructions and installation. manual.
It addresses "Winter Operation", but makes no specific mention of use on gas or electricity.
They state that these covers "should be fitted when the outside temperature falls below +8C. This protects the unit from excessively cold air".
Note the "should" and protecting "the unit", and the quite high ambient from where they "should" be used.

Whereas in the installation manual, they clearly do flag up the ramifications of flue emissions. This occurs in respect to the positioning and minimum distances of the flue to openings.

In this rightly hazard conscious age if the covers presented even a low real risk, there would be warnings plastered everywhere.

All that said, if we use any gas appliance in our confined vans, then fitting a monoxide alarm is IMO a no brainer.

A fridge requires heat to work correctly hence the covers. Although a good idea, there should be no need to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in a caravan as the caravan should be serviced regularly and the gas system checked at least once every 3 years. Plus of course there should be no blockage in the vent behind the fridge.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A fridge requires heat to work correctly hence the covers. Although a good idea, there should be no need to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in a caravan as the caravan should be serviced regularly and the gas system checked at least once every 3 years. Plus of course there should be no blockage in the vent behind the fridge.

Despite any servicing or three year testing I stand solidly behind my statement " if we use any gas appliance in our confined vans, then fitting a monoxide alarm is IMO a no brainer."

You would not "need" the servicing or test if things did not go wrong, but they do.

In the case of gas combustion equipment going wrong, there is the ever-present risk of carbon monoxide and its high potentially for fatal or brain damaging consequences.

For about £16 an absolute no brainer, how can anyone not see the "need" to have that direct level of protection.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Despite any servicing or three year testing I stand solidly behind my statement " if we use any gas appliance in our confined vans, then fitting a monoxide alarm is IMO a no brainer."

You would not "need" the servicing or test if things did not go wrong, but they do.

In the case of gas combustion equipment going wrong, there is the ever-present risk of carbon monoxide and its high potentially for fatal or brain damaging consequences.

For about £16 an absolute no brainer, how can anyone not see the "need" to have that direct level of protection.
You are correct and I put it across badly.

Reactions: JTQ
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought carbon monoxide alarms were mandatory, I have one fitted, in fact, I think it's coming to the end of its useful life. Have my service coming up on the 8th Oct have asked for the fridge to be serviced.
Incidentally, My Mobil engineer advises against this kind of cover, saying he would never use them on gas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts