Are we being conned?

Apr 20, 2006
Visit site
After reading that to use anything else would ruin the toilet in my 'van; as new caravanner, I have dutifully stocked up on Aquachem toilet paper for the loo - which is not cheap! (Unfortunately, with two young children, not using the loo in the 'van is not an option).

However, on the two sites we've stayed on so far, the chemical waste has always been in a toilet block, and to my (admittedly untrained) eyes looks like it flows straight into the main sewerage system, along with the site's plumbed-in loos.

If this is the case, and all our waste is going through main-line sewerage, why are we informed that we have to have special loo paper that will decompose faster? If I can put bog-standard (no pun intended!) paper in the system from a loo in a toilet block, why can't I put the same paper into the system from the cassette of my caravan loo?

Are we being conned, or is there something that I've missed?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i think this type of loo paper is for the thetford toilet itself,not for the site in question.its to stop the inner works and the cassette from fouling with toilet paper thats not as good as breaking down quicker

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have never used anything other than normal loo roll in the van but i must admit number two's are banned in the van so we dont use too much loo roll anyway. From what i have read the only sites that would benefit from using the thetford loo roll are sites that have cess pits rather than mains sewarage pipes. don't bother its too expensive and in 9 years i have never once been asked what loo roll i use on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrea,

We always use normal loo paper and have never had any problems i think it is a bit of a con trying to get us to buy special paper.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some caravan accessory shops sell unbranded dissolvable toilet tissue which is a lot cheaper than Thetford.

I've heard comments that Andrex dissolves just as well - it may be necessary to use trial and error to find out which brands work.

The real downside is that when you find a brand which doesn't dissolve enough you'll have to get the bits out of the cassette mechanism yourself.

"You pays your money and makes your choice"

May 11, 2006
Visit site
we do use andrex lol and the cassette tank is no problem at all to clean out, we do use Elsan fluid though as have found the Thetford is useless now since they removed the Formaldahyde

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim in response to your posting whereby you state you have a good read and then use the morning paper could you please tell me whereabouts in the toilet/shower compartment is the best place to put a 4in nail to hold the paper?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always use recycled paper. But it does bother me how they get it.

Have they got a man down the sewers with a net?

"Ooo! theres a nice long bit - not a lot of poo on that!"

May 21, 2008
Visit site
That was a "crap" one Clive V.

We use the hosehold paper, news paper is to scratchy and full of S*1t anyway.

Enough frivolity. Use what you like it all goes to the same destination. My cassette doesn't get blocked any more or less with posh or not.

And believe me I'm not about to do an audit on that one.

Cheers.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts