Are you away for bank holiday?

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I'm at South Cerney on a CL close to my storage site, probably < 10 mins.. Didn't want to spend a fortune in fuel. I'm off to Wales next week so this was just a local getaway. Just a field with a nice view where I can relax and drink lots of sensible amounts of cider. Also give me plenty of time to do a few odd jobs in the van. B52s are currently at Fairford so I've enjoyed watching them too. I think there is a lot to be said for "local" caravanning . Same "holiday" feeling, just haven't had to queue in traffic or spend a load of money on fuel.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm at South Cerney on a CL close to my storage site, probably < 10 mins.. Didn't want to spend a fortune in fuel. I'm off to Wales next week so this was just a local getaway. Just a field with a nice view where I can relax and drink lots of sensible amounts of cider. Also give me plenty of time to do a few odd jobs in the van. B52s are currently at Fairford so I've enjoyed watching them too. I think there is a lot to be said for "local" caravanning . Same "holiday" feeling, just haven't had to queue in traffic or spend a load of money on fuel.
Let's hope the B-52s are able to just do training and not go into action!

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
We are spending a couple of nights at Abbey Wood, East London. Arrived this evening, pleased with their tolerance of later check ins. Allowed us to set off after my working till about 4pm, it’s only about 70 miles from us going the long way from west of London around the M25. Short way might have been fun but involved Congestion Tax at that time so we took the recommended if duller route. Really nice site with no great London feel, pleasant and quite wooded, expected something a lot more cramped. Nice park walk after arrival, plan a day at Greenwich tomorrow. Think this place makes for a nice short break, relaxed way to visit London really

Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We really liked the CMHC sites in London as we used them for Hyde park summer concerts, theatre and tourist trips. Night bus to Crystal Palace very convenient.

Reactions: SteveW
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We don't do Bank Holidays. Too crowded and pricey!

Also never could understand why people have to advertise they are away leaving a good chance their homes are unoccupied and vulnerable!
Wait until you're home then report on your lovely trip!

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site

Also never could understand why people have to advertise they are away leaving a good chance their homes are unoccupied and vulnerable!
You got my address? 😉. No crowds here round the Smoke, they’ve all left for Bournmouth. That’s the type of place to avoid? Live traffc helps a lot, slightest sign of trouble on the 25 tm I’m headed for a straight line home past Big Ben. I really think Bank Holidays are all about going where the masses choose not to.

Steve

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
We really liked the CMHC sites in London as we used them for Hyde park summer concerts, theatre and tourist trips. Night bus to Crystal Palace very convenient.
Loved Crystal Palace when we went there, nice park adjacent, also the history was interesting. Much has happened there. Plenty of nice restaurants within a modest walk too, more so than at Abbey Wood,

Steve

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I really think Bank Holidays are all about going where the masses choose not to.
Totally agree - but also important to remember when Bank Holidays are - some years ago we had a few days near Edinburgh to go to the Tattoo but forgot that the following weekend was a Bank Holiday so the M6 was a traffic jam all the way down from the Lakes.

Reactions: SteveW
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site

If a burglar who happens to to know my address is reading this thread breaks in whilst I'm away, I’ll be sure to buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Totally agree - but also important to remember when Bank Holidays are - some years ago we had a few days near Edinburgh to go to the Tattoo but forgot that the following weekend was a Bank Holiday so the M6 was a traffic jam all the way down from the Lakes.
I wouldn’t consider going on much of the M6 on a bank hol I will agree. North-South routes on Bank hols in the UK have become non-viable IMO. I’ve suffered a lot due to having family in the NW and previously living in the Lakes for a while. I won’t head north any more on high days and holidays other than perhaps a bit of M40 ,

Steve

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A queue of vans at 6.30, yesterday going to the Twinwoods music festival.
Studio_20220827_125524.jpg

I wasn't in the queue, this was from Fakebook.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I wouldn’t consider going on much of the M6 on a bank hol I will agree. North-South routes on Bank hols in the UK have become non-viable IMO. I’ve suffered a lot due to having family in the NW and previously living in the Lakes for a while. I won’t head north any more on high days and holidays other than perhaps a bit of M40 ,

Steve
I didn’t realise the M6 also had a silly season. I thought thst was just M4 /M5 / A303 corridor. What I hate is the bloody 20 mile or so stretch which has been under a 50 limit for years whilst they “upgrade” it to deathtrap motorway.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh how a thread changes round. So no we are not away this bank holiday as we have a music festival,in Woburn Sands this weekend.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have always avoided the popular places during bank holidays, caravan or not. When we lived in Dartmoor and Cumbria we could find local beauty spots for swimming or picnics and stayed away from “ grockles-villes”

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts