Are you glad you holiday in a caravan?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
With the death of Thomas Cook, BA and Ryanair strikes, threats of drones and long waits at airports we are congratulating ourselves on having a caravan and far less hassle and worries. Do you not look on and wonder why people put up with all that?

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Raywood,

One could say why would anyone want to spend £50k on a combined outfit and cause relentless traffic jams to other road users :p

Regards,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s nothing new. Holiday companies going bust isn’t new. Remember Clarksons and their airline back in the early 1970s. Laker too. In the overall scheme of things TC going bust isn’t a big issue apart from the effect on jobs both here and abroad. But it will create a vacuum that others will fill.
We’ve taken many package and self booked trips without any hassle.

Whilst we both love being away in the caravan I get frustrated at its lack of use not through any problems with ourselves. Although doubtless they will arrive one day. It’s the hassle of owning an under used asset (car and van) which have significant standing charges, deprecation and random costs. My wife favours a seasonal pitch next year within 50 miles of home. We could use it jointly or independently and family too. I am still undecided on that one as it sounds the death knell to touring, and I favour doing what we did in 2014; selling the whole outfit. We then had four trips to India and areas around plus Mediterranean and U.K. holidays too.

Watch this space. :)

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
It's only as unused as you want it to be.
This year, we are heading towards 12 trips - we aim to be away for some time each month. The best we have managed in previous years was 10.
If we could afford for my wife to retire, we would go away more often.
Cliff

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clifford_374377114 said:
It's only as unused as you want it to be.
This year, we are heading towards 12 trips - we aim to be away for some time each month. The best we have managed in previous years was 10.
If we could afford for my wife to retire, we would go away more often.
Cliff

I think your first sentence is a lot of tosh. You have absolutely no idea how any individuals circumstances affect their ability to go caravanning or any other activity. If you read posts on the Woosies you will see how some have had to forgoe trips not through any wish of their own.

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
Sorry if I offended anyone, it was never my intention.
I simply meant, if you have any time available, get away!
There were many times in the past when we would have gone away only to have commitments, usually involving the kids.
Cliff

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Every individual is subject to different sets of circumstances, and we've had to cancel a trip to meet with the Woosies this month because of health issues.
Having said that, on balance I'm very glad to have our caravan because we get three or four main (10 day or more) holidays plus shorter breaks now and then.When we pack, load up the car and go there is a high degree of certainty that we'll arrive at our chosen destination as planned, but air travel appears to be subject to many variables and these can involve stress and discomfort that we really don't need.
As a nod to the tree hugging brigade, admittedly I use a fairly large vehicle to travel to and from our destination, when we arrive caravanning is one of the greener holiday choice.
A massive factor in favour of caravan ownership for us is that Herself has a pathological fear of flying, so we tend to explore the beautiful surroundings in Britain instead.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
In the past we have done all the foreign holidays even at Christmast , these days we are forty years older since our first jollies abroad , these days we have our caravan holidays working round clinic and hospital appointments you think it will never happen to you but get it the queue it will, anyway we have managed to get away seven trips this year it fact I write this message from Wyton Lakes nr St Ives,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We've lost our Turkey holiday because of Thomas Cook folding yet we still get away every fifth weekend or so but once in a while once i like guaranteed hot sunshine !

No pun intended but onwards & upwards as we've now got I another booked at at a better price before anyone put their prices up !

Caravan all year round so I don't feel guilty about doing two weeks without it .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
We've lost our Turkey holiday because of Thomas Cook folding yet we still get away every fifth weekend or so but once in a while once i like guaranteed hot sunshine !

No pun intended but onwards & upwards as we've now got I another booked at at a better price before anyone put their prices up !

Caravan all year round so I don't feel guilty about doing two weeks without it .
:woohoo: hope you get your money back Craig.
Forty years of caravanning has given us the freedom and flexibility to go where and when we want even for a few days. Yes done all the world things but now I really can’t be doing with all the travelling to the airport , checking in minimum two hours before the fight, cramped up for hours . These days as many know caravanning even a few miles away from home can be really enjoyable and great fun. Just got back from 64 miles away. Feels we have been in a different place and our feet never left the ground :whistle:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
otherclive said:
I

Whilst we both love being away in the caravan I get frustrated at its lack of use not through any problems with ourselves. Although doubtless they will arrive one day. It’s the hassle of owning an under used asset (car and van) which have significant standing charges, deprecation and random costs. My wife favours a seasonal pitch next year within 50 miles of home. We could use it jointly or independently and family too. I am still undecided on that one as it sounds the death knell to touring, and I favour doing what we did in 2014; selling the whole outfit. We then had four trips to India and areas around plus Mediterranean and U.K. holidays too.

Thank you OC for giving me the opportunity to wax lyrical about the Joy of Seasonal. 6 years ago we were in a similar predicament. Both of us working full time, a 16 year old foster son, and other family commitments. The van was sitting on the drive as an expensive and unattractive garden ornament. Decided to give seasonal a go. Found a lovely site, just 2 and a bit hours from us so that we could jump in the car, whenever daughter could keep an eye on foster son and have a break. We are still at the same site, even though we are now working fewer hours and foster son has left home. Daughters and grandchildren also love it.
Best ( but not cheapest) caravanning decision we ever made.
My best tip would be to choose somewhere within 2-3 hours ( or even closer) so that getting there isn’t a chore, do your research and go and visit before signing up.
It wasn’t the death knell of touring either, still manage a bit now and then.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was the only one in our family against buying a caravan,now I'm the most enthusiastic :) yes,I'm one of those that books miles in advance,google maps it,checks out roads,local stuff reviews on several different websites etc...I love the relaxed lifestyle of a caravan break,I get to go out for a few hours on my bike,wife reads a book,teenagers go pool or play about,so everyone happy,and long may it continue.
As for value?if you think it's good value then that's all that matters.
We scoff at people that go to airport early,get delayed or cancelled etc...but they laugh at us stuck in long traffic jams at ferry/tunnel or sat on hard shoulder with flat tyre,as a colleague said,why pay all that money(for caravan)to s@&t in a cupboard :unsure: we can't all be right ,so if you're happy,who cares. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
otherclive said:
I

Thank you OC for giving me the opportunity to wax lyrical about the Joy of Seasonal. 6 years ago we were in a similar predicament. Both of us working full time, a 16 year old foster son, and other family commitments. The van was sitting on the drive as an expensive and unattractive garden ornament. Decided to give seasonal a go. Found a lovely site, just 2 and a bit hours from us so that we could jump in the car, whenever daughter could keep an eye on foster son and have a break. We are still at the same site, even though we are now working fewer hours and foster son has left home. Daughters and grandchildren also love it.
Best ( but not cheapest) caravanning decision we ever made.
My best tip would be to choose somewhere within 2-3 hours ( or even closer) so that getting there isn’t a chore, do your research and go and visit before signing up.
It wasn’t the death knell of touring either, still manage a bit now and then.
Mel

Mel,
Thanks for the feedback. The site would be the Forest Holidays Bracelands in the Forest of Dean. we have had four visits there in New Year, Spring and recently and really like the site. It is no frills, good showers, friendly staff and views to die for. The walks directly out of the site take you into the forest and good pubs nearby and shops/restaurants in Coleford. Coming back just recently it took 1.5 hours with the van in tow. So it's close enough to attend to the periodic crises !!! It might make sense as our daughter (mid forties) has now got NHS funding to enrol on a nursing degree for Registered Mental Health nurse, and needs to extend her hours to cover the degree work and normal duties. So we are first point of contact for the 14 year old granddaughter too.

So its something that we are considering quite seriously. My other option would be a tent.......... :whistle:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought this winter we could get away a bit more after summers doctors and dental appointments.
Could not have been wrong. Got home from last trip, the Bathroom cistern had a leak, now an insurance claim , possible asbestos, problem because the ceiling was done before year 2000.
i had a gut problem , so waiting for a borescope into my beer cellar. Wife has a tear duct problem.
Eventually decided to get my "Prostrate" checked ,( go for it. Elder chaps), We will be lucky to get out before November, but its always great to get away.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
With my job involving me driving 8 and 9 hour's a day , I often do 7 days a week so a flight now and again what every other year isn't as bad!!

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm with you Craigyoung! Love my caravan trips but don't see it as one or the other...also love my annual package tour to the sun but they are two completely separate enterties. Love both for different reasons!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't holiday in our caravan................I sometimes live in it and go touring......nearly 100 nights this year so far.
We are retired after both having had busy working lives
................we are on permanent holiday now :cheer:
We also enjoy our time at home which is 7 miles from an international airport ......so spending time in other countries is mostly hassle free and great for escaping UK winters.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since I'm now in my 52nd year of caravan ownership you can guess my answer.
Very fortunately OH is of the same mind. Like Gaffer we 'live in the caravan elsewhere' averaging around 160 nights a year, in recent years mainly in Europe.
The depreciation factor mentioned in some post may not be as frightening as feared. Certainly not as bad as that for the towcar. Look at the asking prices for the vans reviewed in the magazine. But I accept 'cost to change or replace' may be more serious.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RayS said:
Since I'm now in my 52nd year of caravan ownership you can guess my answer.
Very fortunately OH is of the same mind. Like Gaffer we 'live in the caravan elsewhere' averaging around 160 nights a year, in recent years mainly in Europe.
The depreciation factor mentioned in some post may not be as frightening as feared. Certainly not as bad as that for the towcar. Look at the asking prices for the vans reviewed in the magazine. But I accept 'cost to change or replace' may be more serious.

But once you have found that "Caravan" that you love then why change , we are on our third caravan and it ticks all our boxes, not sure about the Aldi Water heating, I am happy with the Warm air for the winter , but would like a larger combie water heater, to maybe 15 litres rather than 10. Litres.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
The best bit about the caravan is having your own space. A B&B or hotel does not give that same feeling. We use the caravan as a way to explore parts of the country that we might not otherwise have visited due to the cost of decent accommodation, plus it means we can take the dog with us.

We still enjoy travelling abroad; I even survived the Ryanair flight this month!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This is our second five day break at Wyton lakes in the last three weeks £120.00 for five nights, but four weeks ago we made an enguiry at an east coast hotel and for five nights B&B was £335.00,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
CA , spot on ,

We were just saying the same thing last year in Greece where it's nice to be away get dressed up go for some to eat but then when you come back it's different because at the caravan I could just be in my shorts and vest top chilling out in the awning having a wine and reading a book where is when you're on holiday it's not like that . Pro's & con's , but whenever and wherever we are away we still love it !
Like you say without the caravan I would not have been too many places in and around the countryside we have in England and Scotland . :)

Happy getting away whenever and wherever it may be B)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What amazed me was the numbers of folks from just one holiday company that have had to have been repatriated. “The biggest repatriation since WW2” according to the meedja. Measured in the 100 thousands. :eek:hmy:
Imagine if all them folk were on the road in caravans :eek:hmy: :woohoo:
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hutch,

A lot behind a casual comment. Trust all well. Now in Punta Sabbione - never intended to visit Venice but it is like a magnet to us. Did 400 miles yesterday - must be mad!! Heading for Sicily.

Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts