Arriving at a site.

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
I was wondering what most of you do when arriving at a new site, do you park and walk around planning your manouver or do you just tow in and reverse/push/or hope for the best that there are not too many people watching?

Cheers Kieth.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Static

I sense a little bit of aprehension in your post.

As the tower/maintenance person of the caravan, I drive on site, park at reception, if the pitch is allocated, they tell me where it is. I then look at the map/diagram, nod to say I understand where I am going. They don't know I have no idea what on earth they are talking about. Get in the car, show map to my 13 yo daugher (who excels at map reading) she tells me where to drive to. I park up, unhitch and away we go. If it's an unallocated pitch, I drive round and pick a pitch I fancy.

People do look at us in horror sometimes when we are trying to put the awning up and it always ends up slanting, sags in middle, whatever.

Lh

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We always walk around first to look at pitches and when we have chosen work out the best direction to approach from.I've never had a problem reversing a van,I'm on my 8th,and I find twin axles easier as they react much slower than singles.Don't worry about people watching,it will be your turn to watch one day...Brian. :)->)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, after booking in we just drive around looking for the pitch that will suit us best and that is with the better half guiding me with the site map and then just reverse onto the pitch. Sometimes you do get people looking at how you do things but that dont bother me one bit, maybe they are looking for some tips on how to improve the way they do they're manouvres, thats my story and im sticking to it.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
We dont always reverse in, it depends on the view we want! At our last site, the owner pointed out that if we shoved the van into the space A frame first, as we sit at the end opposite the A frame, we would get the best sea view. It was really easy to push and manouevre as its only a lightish van, so no probs. And people soon jumped up to help. Actually o/h was relieved, cos he doesnt like reversing it. Now we will stop and consider which way we want the van to point for the best mealtime views!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Its not always that easy unfortunately Alex. 11 months ago we went to Beaconsfield Park near Shrewsbury. I pitched nose first so we could overlook the lake but I surmise it was the owners daughter that came running down and told us we cant pitch that way. When querying it she informed me it was Fire Regulations, all doors must be on the same side. On that theory if you have a foreign built van you would be ok. Does that count as racism? heheh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we like to look around first to see the lay of the pitch particurly we were in spain had been to reception they told us to pitch were we liked and gave us a map which made it look as if the road went right around the site it did'nt at the top of quite a steep hill we came to locked gates and had to reverse all the way back nightmare must say we had plentey of offers of help from all the other caravaners i can reverse ok but having a motor mover fitted this week they don't have much room to manuver over there but we love it cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have only just started caravaning i reverse into my pitch un hook park up then set up the van,just ignore people watching you everybody has to learn. when we started a family member said you can always tell n00bs they jump out and unhitch. i have heard he unhitches 1st as he is a reggie molehusband :D.m8 do what you are comfortable doing if you want to reverse do-it just take ya time. good luck

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
we have only just started caravaning i reverse into my pitch un hook park up then set up the van,just ignore people watching you everybody has to learn. when we started a family member said you can always tell n00bs they jump out and unhitch. i have heard he unhitches 1st as he is a reggie molehusband :D.m8 do what you are comfortable doing if you want to reverse do-it just take ya time. good luck
'scuse my ignorance - what are n00bs!!!???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
'scuse my ignorance - what are n00bs!!!???
Noob, a person new to the activity.

Never felt that it was a polite way of describing someone, a little bit derogatory, I though. Still, perhaps that's just me..

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
the first thing i do is drive around look for the sunny position ,try to avoid parking under trees ,and if you dont want your caravan or car bashed to bits avoid areas where football is played or frisbees are thrown about,also listen out for barking dogs ,as for people watching me i couldnt care less just shows how interesting i am , i hope thats given you few tips Joeboy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In addition to what has already been mentioned, there's one more thing that I do before setting up on a pitch (and I know I'll get clobbered by the anti-TV brigade) - I check whether I can set up the dish with direct line of sight to the satellite. If there's no-one else around also with a dish that I can use for reference, this means walking around with a compass before deciding on a final position of the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of the sites I have visited over the years have allocated a pitch and insist that the A frame is facing the road so that in the case of fire it would be easier to move a van. The pitch is generally such that the caravan is central with awning to right and car then parked on left of van. In this layout it would be necessary to reverse the van in either by towing or hand.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Hello Static,

We like the sunshine therefore when arriving on cloudy days somewhat disoriented we carry a small compass in the glove box to check north and south and where the sun will be at different times of the day. Don't worry about fellow campers watching, its one of caravaners leisurely pastimes enjoyed by most of us however you must guard against the well intentioned rushing over to help you put the awning up. We work as a well oiled team and un-requested help last year only succeeded in a pole contacting our van door with disasterous result!

I do agree to keep away from overhanging trees having been kept awake many hours after the rain had stopped by dripping trees.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We always reverse onto the pitch because if you disconnect the 'van from car then it is much more difficult levelling, especially when using blocks.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
I follow a similar strategy to LUTZ the dish has to work how can you do without Corrie, but I don`t get embarressed reversing Ive fitted a mover, no more divorce threats, and she makes a cuppa whilst I put the awning up, Bliss.

TONY A.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts