arthritis

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sparkes(Steve) - in the NHS there is a belief / policy that replacement knees last 10 years and that osteo-arthritis patients can't have their first until 65 (rheumatoid arthritis and accident patients are different). By limiting to 2, the principle is that by 85 the patient will be dead or disabled by something else.

In the US, where health care is funded differently, there's no such policy. A number of patients there are into double figures, I believe one has had 15 replacements to the same knee, since his late '20s.

Current knee joint replacements may well last much more than 10 years particularly for patients who just want to walk without pain. Older knee joints may not last so well, particularly for golfers and joggers.

I was told at 56 that I needed a knee replacement, but that I was too young and would have to wait to 65 - there was no clinical reason to wait. I appealled that decision, was put on the NHS waiting list and had the replacement done in Nov '05. The immense pleasure of being able to put weight on that knee, on day 2!, without any pain can't be understated, it really was heaven.

If anyone wants details on appealling NHS "rationing" decisions, ask the moderator to send me your email and I'll give the benefit of my experience.

I think Steve in leo is absolutely right, PMA (positive mental attitude) is the best way to react to any serious illness or condition.

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Gordon,

Having your knee flushed through is no problem and it does cure the pain for a couple of years (it did for me anyway). On crutches for a couple of days and within a couple of weeks back to normal again.

Go for it again.
Thanks for the info, was it done as a day case or did you have to have a short stay?

It really cant come soon enough me!

Tankie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts