Assistance/Opinions from Mondeo owners

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
I currently drive a 1999 2.0 ghia x Petrol Mondeo (45,000 Miles,(Kerbweight 1340kg)which I have been thinking of changing but thought I would wait until I felt how it performed towing our new caravan.

Bringing our new van home (2005 Lunar Quasar525 MTPLM 1300kg)

The whole outfit felt very stable on the motorways in quite windy conditions and with all the lorries going past etc ,but the car considerably lacked power, It had virtually nothing left at 55mph (Foot to floor). Van was empty (approx 1070KG)

I was reasonably surprised at this, Thought it may not be brilliant but did not think it would struggle as much as it did.

So,having been looking at the new(ish) 2.0 Tdci Mondeo's it would appear that now is the time.

All the posts I have read appear to be about the Mondeo estate version and whilst Im not totally opposed to an estate (Two young boys who always want to take everything with them)I think I'd prefer a Hatchback.

I know it's exactly the same car apart from self leveling suspension and a kerbweight difference on the Ghia x model of approx 50kg

Hatch Ghia x KW 1531kg (85% match with Lunar Quaser525)

Estate Ghia x KW 1587kg (82% " " " " )

So can I ask does anyone tow a similar weight/heavier van with a Hatchback diesel Mondeo, How does it perform etc?. Apart from suspension and luggage space is there any other advantage to towing with the estate rather than the Hatch.

Any comments on the car/overall outfit would be really appreciated even from non Mondeo's owners, being new to caravaning I will gladly listen to any advice given.

Cheers to you all,

Regards

Mike B

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I'm not a Mondeo driver, but for me the big advantage of the estate would be the self-levelling rear suspension.

With this option, your car will ride level when loaded - even after hooking up the van, and both steering and braking will be significantly improved over the conventionally sprung hatchback when tugging the van.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

Dont own a mondeo but have a mate who has just gone from 4x4 to Mondeo to save on fuel. He has found a problem in trying to get his Bailey Loire noseweight down to 75kgs which is the limit for Mondeos. Couple that to an article I read recently on a Quasar (can't remember which one). The article stated that there was only one car as apposed to 4x4 or MPV on the market (Beemer 5 series)that could cope with the Quasars noseweight of .. 91kgs. If that Quasar was the one you were thinking of it would seem that the Mondeo couldn't handle its noseweight

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

Dont own a mondeo but have a mate who has just gone from 4x4 to Mondeo to save on fuel. He has found a problem in trying to get his Bailey Loire noseweight down to 75kgs which is the limit for Mondeos. Couple that to an article I read recently on a Quasar (can't remember which one). The article stated that there was only one car as apposed to 4x4 or MPV on the market (Beemer 5 series)that could cope with the Quasars noseweight of .. 91kgs. If that Quasar was the one you were thinking of it would seem that the Mondeo couldn't handle its noseweight
Thanks Del for your reply,

The noseweight of my Quasar525 when I measured it the other day was 65kg. (with a spare wheel and two gas bottles in the front locker) so with some careful loading I hope 75kg max should be possible.

Cheers

G

I have been driving a Mondeo TDCI (115 ps) for the last 2 year towing a Pageant Vendee I can say that I am very happy with the car and also the fuel consumption is better than the petrol version

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
I have been driving a Mondeo TDCI (115 ps) for the last 2 year towing a Pageant Vendee I can say that I am very happy with the car and also the fuel consumption is better than the petrol version
is your mondeo the estate version or the hatch?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
i think you may have answered your own question mike.you say it was quite windy.in trying to maintain speed wind resistance is the caravanners biggest enemy.have you towed in more favourable conditions?

Sep 22, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike

Both me and my pal drive 2.0GLX mondeos and are completely satisfied with them. In France we averaged 30mpg on French 98 octane petrol and never had any problems with keeping up speed.

I will agree that in a head wind you are going to find it hard going, but that applies to most tow cars. In the UK I find 26mpg about average on 95 octane towing 1150 kgs caravan. Hope this of interest. Pete

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

My MG ZT-T has a noseweight rating of 100kg, so I presume all the Rover 75 range will do the same.

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

I've been towing 1250kgs with a '03 plate 115bhp Mondeo hatch for almost 2 years now and have found it great. Never lacks punch from the get-go but you have to watch the noseweight and the front wheels can feel a little light pulling off wet grass.

As for fuel consumption, I get approx 50mpg solo (mix of m/way and around town) and this summer got 36mpg on the journey from Manchester to Poole and back (250 miles each way) - this is the best I've had towing but only by a couple of mpg. It was pretty uninterupted M/way and decent A roads but still pretty good.

I have heard one watch-out from a mate who owns his own taxi firm - there can be issues with the rear sub-frame bushes between 2 and 3 years old so I'll be havig mine checked before its warranty runs out.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
have to say I'm a little surprised by your findings, I drive a 01 2.0 ghia x petrol saloon mondeo and tow a 1995 sprite major super 5 berth. The mondeo only lacked punch in 5th at 55mph but I would expect that anyway. other than that it towed the van well. sure I knew it was on the back end but only thing limiting my speed was common sense and the law.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago I had a 1.8 zetec Mondeo h/back and towed my van which was 1200kgs loaded.

I have also owned the 2 litre version and have to say that the 1.8 towed better than the 2 litre,gear ratios were better.

Both cars were just over a year old and the 1.8 would cruise on motorways quite happily in 5th gear,only having to change down in hills and high winds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been deprived of my immaculate 96 2lt petrol Mondeo Ghia X Estate by a idiot in an Astra but will replace it 'like for like' if I can find a good one that's not green!!!.

Weight wise our vans is about the same as yours and in 5th at an indicated 55mph the petrol engine does struggle because there is no power but as soon as the speedo needle gets above 60 it pulls much better. It's already been mentioned but it's gear ratios that are responsible for this and strong winds will only make thing worse but you can always leave it in 4th if needs must. I understand the 2lt TDCI 130 Diesel does not suffer at all from this problem.

Insurance have kindly given me a Diesel Shogun to tow the van and while this part will be no problem, I can't wait to get rid of it as a day to day run about....20p a mile and a bumpy ride!?. Give me a Mondeo any day, they might not be perfect for towing but you don't tow every day.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gary

Sorry to hear about your vehicle.

I've got a 52 plate 2L Zetec Tdci 130 and can't praise it highly enough. It's a real work horse. Tows up the steepest of hills no problem whatsoever. Don't suffer from stability problems in windy conditions although if you accelerate too quickly, you do get wheel spin. I think it's a brilliant vehicle.

I've got the hatch, plenty of room in there.

The fuel return is favourable both towing and solo.

p.s. - don' mention *x*'s!

Regards.

Lisa.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike i have the 04 6 speed Mondeo Estate 130 TDCI ,i tow a Senator Indiana loaded to 1400 kg which means i am towing at about 90% and i travel up to 70 MPH with no problems once you are doing 60MPH on the level or slight incline you can keep to that speed in 6th gear ,where i live in Dunvant in Swansea its very hilly some very steep and i dont have any trouble accelerating up them ,and i get 29 MPG towing .the Diesel engines on the new Mondeo's are completley different from the old unit,most modern cars have computer engine managment systems so i think you should have your car checked over before you change it ,the last car i had was a Nissan Terrano and that cost over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts