Att:- Do yu use a social networking site like Facebook

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I hope the mods allow this to stay as it is of concern to a lot of people. I know Parksy takes security seriously.

As most of you are aware on Facebook and other social networking sites many people supply their real name along with their surnames. Unfortunately due to lax data protection in the UK by inputting your name into the following website http://www.192.com/ unscrupulous people can now obtain your address and even ascertain when you are away from home. By cross referencing a name on a social networking site with the data held at 192.com your address and contact details are available for all to see. It is possible that a similar reference point exists in other countries.

This site supplies your address and contact telephone number, DOB, marriage etc to any one who searches on it. In my opinion this compromises your security and could be stressful knowing that all your details are available to any one in the world who searches for them.

To prove a point, a search was done on an acquaintance who lives in Sandy and their name, the name of their spouse, address, telephone number, price of properties sold in neighbourhood etc were available. For a few pounds more, their age, how long they have lived there etc can be determined. Same applies to another acquaintance living in Borth who shall remain nameless.

This could be of great concern to those or whose family use Facebook and Twitter and other social networking sites as when you collate the data from various sources you are able to trace and find out about their recent history and details on their partners. Unscrupulous people will be able to determine when you go away on holiday and perhaps what you have bougt recently as they will have your address.

The good news is that you can opt out of it by asking to go onto the edited electoral roll, become an unlisted number and also request TPS to avoid nuisance calls and finally by sending the following to 192.com. The Data Protection Act 1998 requires that they ask your permission first before making data in the public domain available in a collated form. Unfortunately you will need to send a separate letter for each member of your family. Adapt the following letter as appropriate and be aware that they are obliged to remove ALL your data including DOB, DOM etc, not just your name and address.

Customer Services

192.com

Unit 8-10 Quayside Lodge

William Morris Way

London

SW6 2UZ

1 January 2010

Notice under s10 of the Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sirs

I did a search of your site today to look up the details you publish about me and I was astounded to see the information freely available there. You have never sought my permission to use data relating to me and certainly not to publish it. This notice formally requires you to cease processing (including publication) of ALL information and data relating to me and to remove such data from your records.

Section 10(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998 requires that you confirm to me in writing this has been done within 21 days of receipt of this notice.

Yours sincerely

I hope that the above information helps prevent identity theft or any other criminal activity relating to your details being exposed.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No problem with this post staying on the forum.

It is indeed very easy to give all your details away, without even realising it.

As with any Internet use, once put on the net, it is out there for anyone to see and use infromation for good or bad reasons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts