Attention Lunar lexon owners

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
In our 2004 640 the heater is located under a drawer. Yesterday we decided to do a bit of a tidy up and emptied the drawer. We then noticed that on the left hand side of the drawer the side was badly deformed. It seems that the plastic has melted causing the deformity. To my way of thinking what sort of person builds a drawer with plastic sides above a strong heat source. Does your have a similar problem? I think I am going to make a claim under poor workmanship, design etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we had the sane problem with our Avondale, they both melted . We have had them repaced by the factory when it went in for major repairs. I don't know how long they will last. We also had a leak, we could hear a hissing noise behind the fire and discovered the water pipes had melted behind it, they had been laid on top of the blown heat pipe and melted. Because we were away and it was New Year and very cold outside we needed heat and water for the next 4 day, we had to cut off the damaged pipe, join the two ends so the water to the bathroom just went round in a circle allowing us to have water in the kitchen sink and shower. This as also been re done at the factory. I am so dissilusioned with the workmanship on caravans today, it,s not like they are a little amount of money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have just changed my 2004 Lexon for a 2006 Lexon. The draw above the fire does get warm.

I always run the trumavent fan when the fire is on as this is recommended in the owners handbook. It should help lower surface temperatures on the heating unit and the draw as well.

However I'm surprised it has melted your draw and I would also claim a new one on the warranty.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have just changed my 2004 Lexon for a 2006 Lexon. The draw above the fire does get warm.

I always run the trumavent fan when the fire is on as this is recommended in the owners handbook. It should help lower surface temperatures on the heating unit and the draw as well.

However I'm surprised it has melted your draw and I would also claim a new one on the warranty.

Regards Jim
Excuse my spelling,my wife has just pointed out my error.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Any particular reason why you changed your 2004 for a 2006? Was it an exchange for the same model? I don't think it is a very clever move have a plastic drawer above any heat source. Even if the heat does not cause warping problem, the heat will make the plastic brittle after awhile and the sides will actually shatter and this will probably be after the guarantee has expired. However the good news is that due to poor design you can claim for up to six years after the purchase of the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have not had any problems with the drawer Ian, I thought it was you who had the problem!!!

I dont know of any caravan where the fire is not set into a piece of furniture with either drawers or cupboards adjacent to it.

I did change it for the same model as it happens I like the lay out. The new van has many extra's which were not available in 2004.

Jim

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
This problem is not unique to the lunar, we have a ace celebration 590 2005 model which is on its second drawer at the moment due to heat warping it and the one now fitted has also warped. we have tried everything even leaving the drawer open slightly to release the heat but the drawer still warpes and gets very hot to the touch so much so that nothing can be placed inside it, we always use the heating with the fan running. this fault and the many other serious quality issues with the ace van has convinced us never to buy another swift group product, we just wish coachman would hurry up and release the new laser so we can get back to a quality product.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have not had any problems with the drawer Ian, I thought it was you who had the problem!!!

I dont know of any caravan where the fire is not set into a piece of furniture with either drawers or cupboards adjacent to it.

I did change it for the same model as it happens I like the lay out. The new van has many extra's which were not available in 2004.

Jim
Hi Jim, I asked out of curiosity we had a 2004 Lunar CS which we changed for a 640 for exactly the same reasons. I thought we were the only ones to trade in a new van for another new van. We really like the 640 van except for persistent problems with the heater. It seems that there was a problem with the temperature sensor.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
We had a 2002 Coachman Amara and had exactly the same fault the drawer was so badly warped that it kept falling out of the rails. The Coachman Electrics were also behind the drawer and the covers for them also melted. Have caravan makers have no brains at all. Who would place all the electics above the plenum chambers for the blown air heating.

The Coachman was the worst caravan we have ever owned, a nightmare to tow even with a heavy 4x4, was so unstable. Like the previous writer the hot water pipe burst next to the Truma heater unit soaking all our bedding on a van less than 2 years old.

I now have an Ace Supreme with the heater placed under the drawer, but at least the electrics are in the wardrobe.

So much for us poor caravanners, we pay a lot of money for our pleasure and when things go wrong nobody wants to know. The manufacturers take no responsibilty and the dealers take an age to repair faults. We have to put up with this as more and more people take up this hobby and dealers wipe their hands with glee when we buy the caravan and then wash their hands of the responsibilty once the caravan leaves their site. Be warned it can only get worse.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings All,

On our Lunar Lexon(2005 CS) the heater is immediately under the wardrobe cupboard. Ive noticed that the laminate strip under the door has had the glue melted and is hanging down. A job for Thursday when it comes out of mothballs, but, I do note a recurring theme here.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
steve, I had a friend who bought a 2002 amara on our recomendation and he did have the same problems as you, however coachman where aware of the problem and repaired the van and also fitted vents to the cupboard to release the heat that was building up, he had no further problems with the van in the three years he had it. our 2001 pastiche and our 2003 vip as well as our short lived 2005 laser (it was written off in an accident with a white van driver?)have never given us any problems unlike the ace we have at the moment which is not even a year old and is falling to bits, all the hinges have stopped working "again" it will be the third drawer we have had,the tap keeps comming loose in the kitchen, the door refuses to close without a very solid slam and the furnishings are already starting to look tired, infact its only good point is it tows very well.

TRENDING THREADS