Automanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Help needed here please.After reading advice to new caravanner re:- his Granada auto we have become a bit concerned. We have a 2001 Rover 75 2.5V6 auto the van is a 1997 Compass Rallye 490/4 GTE with Alko Stabilizer.The van tops out at 1268kg and the car has a max towing capacity of 1600kg and nose wieght limit of 100kg. Both are dealer serviced regularly. We have been towing this oufit for 18 months uphill and down dale no trouble and have just returned from otherside of Paris to Lincs with 4 adults

on board. BUT!!!!!!!!!! As we are booked up to drive from Calais to Benidorm next March for 3 months we want to know if the experts amongst you have any advice about the need for a "cooler"

for the gearbox.

THANKS (I hope)

Sandra

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you're likely to have a problem. The gearbox in the Rover should easily be upto the job. I'm guessing that the V6 is about 170hp, in which case the auto'box shouldn't need to work too hard with a 1300kilo 'van in tow.

If you tow in conditions where the 'box kicksdown a lot, or if it has a tendency to hang onto third for long periods then I'd consider a cooler.

That said, coolers aren't expensive and as such are a fairly cheap safeguard against gearbox damage, which can be very expensive.

Whatever you decide, make sure the car is using the best grade of fluid available for that car (some types are manufacturer specific) and make sure it doesn't smell burnt.

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello Sandra,

I fitted a Kenlowe cooler to my Sierra many years ago and later to my Omega. They don't cost a lot and give you a little more reasurance when towing. Give Kenlowe a ring-they are very helpful.

All the best

Steve B

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
The best way to tow with an auto is when towing up hill or down hill use it as a manual gear box.

Going uphill if it is searching for the correct gear ie. keeps changing up & down hold it in the lower gear, this will prevent the torque converter overheating.

When going down steep gradiants change down manualy & use the engine to assist with breaking.

We are instructed to drive our trucks manualy so that you are in the correct gear at the right time & getting the max power out of each gear going up, & max breaking from the engine when slowing down.

G.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts