Autoroutes in France warning!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here is the latest update from a Lotus 7 club member who lives in France.

'Thought I should just keep you all up to date with the latest speed traps on motorways in France. I know you are all going to keep within the limits but just in case the right foot gets tired:)

Police are setting up mobile speed monitors along the autoroutes in places very much out of sight. They are normally about 2 to 4 miles from a toll pay booth. The police are then ready at the pay toll to catch you when you stop to pay!!!!'

Whilst this is unlikely to affect you if you are towing, if you are travelling solo you have been warned.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread is still running on the Lotus 7 Club forum and further information has be posted by the afore said member:-

'They are getting crafty here. Used to be fair game but now they are installing cameras on smaller roads and only sign posting them in one direction (and too late to do anything if you are over anyway). Only answer is stick to d roads and enjoy (even at the speed limit) or do not speed. As the holiday season gets going it will get worse. France has realised there is money to be made easily. Unfortunately they never seem to get the dangerous French drivers (don't mean they are all dangerous but some as in UK should be banned).

Take care, French roads are not what they were a few years ago. Don't give them the satisfaction of more money.'

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hope to go to France this year and you are frightening me with all this talk of speed traps. Will anyone tell me the actual general limits on N and D roads as most of my driving will be on these roads, Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since the introduction of the mobile speed traps I have definitely observed a "slowing down" by French drivers.

Don't be fooled by the comment regarding towing above the limits,

I have been caught but was "let off" with a warning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since the introduction of the mobile speed traps I have definitely observed a "slowing down" by French drivers.

Don't be fooled by the comment regarding towing above the limits,

I have been caught but was "let off" with a warning.
Also, don't get caught with a radar detector, it's very expensive and the flics stand at the toll booths looking for them.

It is no excuse to say "it isn't switched on", so remove it from view if you do have one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rod, my reference was to towing on the autoroutes where caravanners are unlikely to exceed the 130 kph speed limit.

Dave, the French speed limits are generally, 50 kph in built-up areas, 90 kph outside built-up areas, 110 kph on dual carriageways and 130 kph on autoroutes. These limits are reduced in bad weather conditions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My gross train weight is approximately 2600 kgs. So what are the regulations? I was only aware of speed restrictions if the caravan weighed more than the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another warning for those sailing Calais/Dover. Where the A26 runs into the ferry terminal the speed limit rapidly drops from 110 kph. A gendarme has been seen with a radar gun hiding behind the central reservation not far from passport control, so watch your speed when coming home.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
A related issue is that the gendarmes also have mobile weight checks immediately after the toll booths. You have to drive the car and van over the device so that the weight on every axle in the outfit can be checked.

My overweight outfit was let off with a warning, butI was grateful for the check as investigation on return to the UK led to the dicovery that the caravan had been wrongly plated at manufacture!

By one of those amazing quirks, I saw the same gendarme 3 weeks later in a different location clutching a radar gun! He didn't get me twice though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts