Avant-garde Avante!

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh, alright then, so Mr. Siddle wasn't a particularly innovative manufacturer of caravans, but I loved the 434, owned before this dear little Carousel I have now.

It was bought as a two year old caravan in 2004, so maybe the teething problems that tend to blight early-month's ownership had already been ironed out by the time we took ownership.

Whatever - I loved that caravan to bits! Never 'fair weather' caravanners my husband (as was) and I took Elfrida out all year round, on a regular basis; she went through from one service to the next without any problems, through the 8 years we owned her. The only time Elfrida had to spend any time in the repair shop was when this nasty Cornish dry stone wall leapt out and scratched the side of the van, as I was negotiating a narrow lane and trying to squeeze past a tractor with a Jeremy Clarkson type at the wheel. 'E wun't gonna move, moi 'andsome, Anyway, that's another story.

The thing that attracted me to the Elddis was the slightly unusual layout, with its little peninsula unit dividing the kitchen from the 'back bedroom', where, theoretically our two dogs at the time, a German Shepherd and a Collie cross (both gone to the great kennel in the sky now, sob sob) were supposed to sleep, but strangely they always seemed to prefer our bed. Sometimes we would leave the double bed made up in the front end of the van, especially if we had a long journey to undertake, and for breaks/service stops, would ask the dogs if we could share their end of the 'van. Ooh, the indignation! Poppy and Deefa were of the opinion that what was theirs was theirs, and what was ours was theirs as well. Tch. Dogs, who'd have them? I wonder whether these tales (or should that be tails) ring true with anyone else, or were we just a complete push-over where dogs were concerned? I think I know the answer to that one before I press 'submit post', as my little Bearded Collie, Echo has already got me well and truly wrapped around her little paw.

Well, now I've flown the flag for Elddis I'm going to count the weeks and days until I can get out again. Different 'van, different dog, but, hey ho, life moves on! Hope to meet some of you when I'm out and about!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a dealer special version of an Avante 526. Elddis only made this layout for a year. There is a fixed bed, a side dinette that converts to bunks, and a front lounge; but all on a single axle. It is a great layout for us as we sometimes take our grandchildren away with us and when we don't it still isn't too big. When our foster son used to come with us (at 16 he is having none of caravanning) he had the front double which suited him at 6ft plus.
Don't know why this layout wasn't more popular; perhaps it was the bijou wetroom, which we don't mind at all being card carrying Woosies and all in favour of luxuriously heated washblocks.
mel

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Great, Mel, thanks for sharing your thoughts on your Elddis. Do I remember your signature being 'We wait for the light'? You must have already seen it if you bought an Avante! Sounds a very useful layout. Do I gather that you don't use the shower facilities? I never used mine either (and I don't have one in the Carousel). I always used to worry about whether all that dampness would affect the structure of the van, so like you, I always used the on-site showers, which is ok until you want to spend a week on a basic CS!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I used the shower once when we found ourselves on a site that was the Fawlty Towers equivalent of caravan parks. If you get to a Woosie Fest we'll share some wine and I will tell you the funny story. It was a hoot :lol: I decided that the shower was OK in extremis but not the usual plan.
mel

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Mel said:
I used the shower once when we found ourselves on a site that was the Fawlty Towers equivalent of caravan parks. If you get to a Woosie Fest we'll share some wine and I will tell you the funny story. It was a hoot :lol: I decided that the shower was OK in extremis but not the usual plan.
mel

Looking forward to that, Mel! Can't get to the next Woosie Fest but will be along to the September bash.

Now, is yours a red, or a white? I'm a sucker for a drop of Pino Grigio myself....

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi CyberCynth. A really heart wrenching opener. Been there,done that got the tea-shirt complete with bite marks from my over-playfull and sadly late Labrador Heidi and the tears from the claws of the caravanning cats.
I myself rather prefer the longer 2011 Elddis Odyssey 656 which albeit a twin axle it has the full width rear wash-room/loo/shower along with the NS fixed bed and the side dinette/bunks.
It also has a remarkably low MTPLM of 1530kgs and the front will still afford an eating area if with visitors and additional sleeping if required.

Further to your question and comment below :-
Now, is yours a red, or a white? I'm a sucker for a drop of Pino Grigio myself....

At my age it is the vintage for people of a certain age and those that like some late night lubrication,a fairly recent addition called Pino More.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Looking forward to that, Mel! Can't get to the next Woosie Fest but will be along to the September bash.

Now, is yours a red, or a white? I'm a sucker for a drop of Pino Grigio myself....[/quote]

Pinot Grigio yum yum! Also, I have a weakness for fizzy wine. Can't stand Chardonnay.
mel

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
TR, thank you for your comments. Did you get another dog after losing Heidi? I still miss my girls terribly, but soon took on another dog. I hadn't intended to with any great haste, but when an aquaintence of mine mailed me with details of an uncared-for Bearded Collie needing a home, my resolve crumbled.

I haven't seen the in'ards of the Odyssey 656, but it sounds great! Do you put up an awning as well? I had a porch awning with the Avante, but it tended to be used as a dog grooming parlour!

Pinot More, aye?! ......yeah, right. I'll stick with my Grigio, thanks!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
I myself rather prefer the longer 2011 Elddis Odyssey 656 which albeit a twin axle it has the full width rear wash-room/loo/shower along with the NS fixed bed and the side dinette/bunks.
It also has a remarkably low MTPLM of 1530kgs and the front will still afford an eating area if with visitors and additional sleeping if required.

Further to your question and comment below :-

At my age it is the vintage for people of a certain age and those that like some late night lubrication,a fairly recent addition called Pino More.

A nice van TR. Would have gone for it but too long for our drive and we didn't want to do storage.
Answer to the wine question above.
mel

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
TR, thank you for your comments. Did you get another dog after losing Heidi? I still miss my girls terribly, but soon took on another dog. I hadn't intended to with any great haste, but when an aquaintence of mine mailed me with details of an uncared-for Bearded Collie needing a home, my resolve crumbled.

I haven't seen the in'ards of the Odyssey 656, but it sounds great! Do you put up an awning as well? I had a porch awning with the Avante, but it tended to be used as a dog grooming parlour!

Pinot More, aye?! ......yeah, right. I'll stick with my Grigio, thanks!

Hi CyberCynth. No I did not get another dog,Heidi was actually my 2nd Labrador she was black and a Cookridge dog. The first was Wendy and she was a dog from the bloodlines of one of the dogs of Lady Lorna, Countess Howe,. Ch.Sandylands Tweed of Blaircourt,Poppleton Lieutenant, were all in her pedigree.
Sadly they both had cancers at the age of 10.5yrs and 11yrs respectively.
I figured that it was not right to get another dog because of pending total left knee surgery and potentially not being able to properly exercise it. Just as well the other one is falling to bits now.
I believe the Odyssey 656 was only produced for 2010 & 2011 then the Odyssey model was dropped.
Google Elddis Archives,it brings up Derby Caravan Centre. They hold a great deal of the files that were once accessible directly from Elddis/The Explorer Group Archives.
At 4'10" tall I cannot reach the awning rails so an awning is a no no and I value my neck more than balancing on a step ladder or leaning one on the side of the van.
Now down to the subject of wine. Pino More not Pinot More is especially formulated for people of a certain age that have bladders only the size of a Clementine,ho ho ho.
It is pronounced as Pee No More as in - for an undisturbed night.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi again. Just a quick late addition and albeit off topic but pertinent.
Ms Rooster cannot drink red wine at-all,it results in banging headaches and white wines go down far to easily but produce a very wobbly caravanner.
A few years ago whilst at the old Manchester G-Mex for a caravan show we discovered a very nice but not cheap range of both red and white wines from a company in the south.
Their claim to fame was that their wines had absolutely NO CHEMICALS,the result was a very happy and transformed wine drinking caravanner. She actually preferred their red to their white.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that, TR (your user name is a bit long to spell out on each posting!) I'm sorry you've had two dogs suffering from cancer. Must have been heartbreaking for you.

I knew I was going to be having knee replacements some time in the future when I took on my dog. However, I've coped with both operations by , for the period in hospital itself I put Echo into kennels for the duration, and during my recovery, I have had a local girl taking her out for walks. I was worried about Echo knocking me over when I first got home from hospital, but she's been very gentle.

um, yes, I did get the joke about the Pino(t) More! :lol:

I can imagine you might have difficulty reaching up to the awning rail; I'm 5'6" and find it quite a struggle at times. I think I shall invest in one of the chunkier, two-step caravan steps, and stick on some non-slip boat deck rubber matting onto the top step.

So, have you already had one knee replacement, do I understand? I've just had my second one done, so once I've recovered from my recent surgery I'm hoping to be a lot more active, and to be able to walk Echo the sort of distances I used to be able to cover before I became a poor, wrinkly ol' so-and-so. Good luck for your forthcoming surgery.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi CyberCynth. Yes,I have had total left knee replacement on 1st November 2007,everything is fine except for occasional nerve issues associated with the actual unavoidable severing of the nerves. It is not severe and feels just like a I have been to the dentist,tingling and occasional short sharp needle like twinges.
The right knee is about to undergo a second arthroscopy on the 13th May having been brought forward from the 16th May. I have a split cartilage.
I am not quite sure as yet how that will affect my intention to continue caravanning.
My rather short stature brings into play disadvantages that taller people would never experience.
I am still able to cycle but I have needed to fit reduced length crank-arms. The general sizes are 170mm,172.5mm & 175mm. I ride 140mm Thorn cranks with Stronglight triple chainrings on both of my road bikes.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I can imagine you might have difficulty reaching up to the awning rail; I'm 5'6" and find it quite a struggle at times. I think I shall invest in one of the chunkier, two-step caravan steps, and stick on some non-slip boat deck rubber matting onto the top step.
For CyberCynth
We bought some stick on abrasive tape and put on our steps from screwfix,its been on about 3 years so far without peeling
No Nonsense Anti-Slip Tape 50mm x 18m Black

Product Code: 57217

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
DeliDave_ said:
Thanks for that, DeliDave! At the moment I have one of the small, single steps, with a rubber strip on it. I find if I'm trying to reach up on the step, say, to get the Gobur erected or to fit the awning into the rail, and it's wet, my feet sometimes slip on the supposedly nonslip rubber!

You mention steps; does that infer yours are the two-level steps?

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Travelling Rooster: Good luck with your Arthroscopy on 13th May. Many NHS Trusts will not do the Arthroscopy op nowadays, they seem to prefer going straight for the Total knee replacement. Lets hope the Arthroscopy works, at least you'll be up and about a lot quicker than if you'd been having the Total job.

I must say, I have been fortunate with my lt knee, post op, didn't get any problems with nerve damage. You may find that will ease off eventually. At least you are back on your bike, so you're doing well!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
DeliDave_ said:
For CyberCynth
We bought some stick on abrasive tape and put on our steps from screwfix,its been on about 3 years so far without peeling
No Nonsense Anti-Slip Tape 50mm x 18m Black

Product Code: 57217

Hi DeliDave_ . Make no mistake about it,I do not 'Might struggle' I would definitely struggle. I have a static caravan in Northumberland and need the use of a lightweight two-step to reach the back of the fitted cupboards and the first shelf is a tip-toe and stretch exercise.

Hi CyberCynth. Thank you,I am sure that things will be OK and that I will have another successful arthroscopy.
It will be my fourth. I had two on the left knee and then total replacement. Hopefully this 2nd one on the right knee will give me a few more years before a total replacement becomes absolutely necessary and especially now that I live in a bungalow.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi CyberCynth
We have an aluminium folding double step which has been very good with low treads we got it from Towsure

[img size=250 x 250]http://www.towsure.com/images/products/1396/detail/caravan-step-double-folding.jpg[/img]

I put a couple of strips of tape across each tread and slid them underneath the bars,the adhesive has not loosened off at all

Good luck both

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi DeliDave, thanks for the piccie and information, these steps are just what I'm looking for; I like the nice stout feet on them. Proper job!

Hi TR: Well, lets hope you get a bit of mobility back following your arthroscopy. Wishing you a happy caravanning season!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts