avondale caravan

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
my Son

Is thinking of buying a Avondale Perle Corfu 1996 4 berth does anyone have any views as to how good or bad or anything to watch out for in this range as he is new to caravaning and this would be his first van he has two young boys.

Bryan

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Avondale did NOT use stainless steel external screws, so i would expect that there are 200 rusting screws, found under the rubber covers, i had a 1997 avondale. At 7 years old the screws on the roof strips had no screw heads left, so fitting new stainless screws would have been difficult, and really the caravan needed resealing to do the job properly.

Another that does not use stainless is coachman.

The above are not a problem for the first 6 years

However, swift and bailey use stainless, even my 1986 swift had them.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Avondale owners may shoot me down in flames, but I think I read somewhere (probably PC mag)that older Avondales had a bit of a reputation for cracked front panels so you need to check carefully. Otherwise I think they were considered good vans. Shame they went bust.

mel

referring to cracked panels for avondale it is stress cracks on rear panels mainly 2003,some later on though as well.damp would be the worst problem,pay a lot of attention to awning rails sealant,if dry and brittle walk away,if its not leaking now it will.also general condition,a well cared for van will give a lot less trouble than one which is looking tatty and tired,also go for fully serviced,if in doubt walk away there is always better vans out there in all price brackets.hope this helps sarah

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts