Awning Pegs

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
After reading some of the ads in the caravan magazines we are looking at purchasing some of the of metal screw type awning pegs that you can screw in with a power tool when on hard standing. Has anyone on the forum used these? and if so are they as good as the as claim?

Regards

Steve & Heather

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Steve &Heather

I bought some of them last year and they didnt suit me , they ake an age to get in and out ,thats when they do go in, we often go away with my daughter and son inlaw ,both have same awning but it used to take me twice as long to put my pegs in as it did his normal rock pegs ,now I have normal ones and some times I get done before him!!!

Saying that someone will probably say they arethe best thing since sliced bread!!

Baza

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve & Heather,

I bought some of the metal ones and was surprised how useless they were at being driven in to the ground with a drill in most conditions. They certainly don't work very well with most hardstandings, they tend to chew a large wide channel. I also tried a slightly wider fibreglass (I think) model which took the same size nut driver as steadies - they were no better.

However using the drill to unscrew them can be quite useful. So now I use the metal screw type pegs, hammer them in with a mallet and take them out with a drill. It is a technique that seems to work quite well in lots of differing ground conditions.

Cheers

Mike A

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve & Heather,

I bought some of the metal ones and was surprised how useless they were at being driven in to the ground with a drill in most conditions. They certainly don't work very well with most hardstandings, they tend to chew a large wide channel. I also tried a slightly wider fibreglass (I think) model which took the same size nut driver as steadies - they were no better.

However using the drill to unscrew them can be quite useful. So now I use the metal screw type pegs, hammer them in with a mallet and take them out with a drill. It is a technique that seems to work quite well in lots of differing ground conditions.

Cheers

Mike A
EXACTLY the method i use and i have never had an issue on any of the hard standings on the CC sites. Tried using the drill to put them in when i first bought them and it was useless. Club hammer puts them straight in without damage.

Cheers Darryl

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Baza on this.I now use ordinary knock-in rock pegs.The screw pegs are a job to screw in without churning up the ground.Like lots of things, sound better than they are!

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with Mike A.

On a lot of surfaces it is easier to hammer in the metal screw type pegs and then use a drill to get them out.

But don't spend a fortune on the fancy type screw pegs.

Just order a load of 6" or 8" galvanized roofing bolts and large diameter washers from somewhere like screwfix. A cheap socket and drill adaptor is all you then need to drive them in or out. I've been using these roofing bolts for 4 years now and never had one fail on me, even when hammering through some pretty stubborn hardstandings!

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi steve and Heather

I spent quite a bit of money on the type you are on about and they was a waste of time it was easier using the nock in rock pegs( I found the CC site shops ) to be the cheapest

Regards

Ian

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Please forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but Screwpegs are designed to be hammered in,before finishing off with a drill. This refers to the steel peg as opposed to the plastic peg.

If you just try and wind them in, you end up frustrated! A few taps with a hammer, gives them their bite.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts