Awning rail adhesive

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I use the bitumastic sealant as in the images I've posted..it allows for the expansion and contraction experienced of the aluminium..it is made in Hull near where there was a considerable amount of caravan manufacturers at the time..my images have details on I removed the rails ...you might find them of interest...My caravan is a 1992 Abbey GTS 212

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I assume all the surfaces are spotless and all traces of old adhesive removed ?
Personally I have only used Soudal RV61 as used by the professional caravan repairers.IMG_6198.jpeg

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Note the sealant images I posted are for aluminium rails..is the soudal a flexible sealant.the IDL 99 CARASEAL is a bitumastic non setting.Turps cleaned the original sealer off on my caravan it also cleaned the new sealer off

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Note the sealant images I posted are for aluminium rails..is the soudal a flexible sealant.the IDL 99 CARASEAL is a bitumastic non setting.Turps cleaned the original sealer off on my caravan it also cleaned the new sealer off
Soudal is one of the two caravan industry benchmarks for caravan use. An oem and yes as most caravans are aluminium as are the rails straps etc. May I suggest for your own peace of mind drop a line to Sikaflex and Soudal technical advice departments. I suspect you will be impressed

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I prefer to use the sealant as per makers used at the date of manufacture.incidently I believe it's used by sealsdirect on new window rubbers.As you will no doubt be aware when removing all the aluminium rails cleaning,replacing old screws with stainless steel and replacing screw cover trim I decided to go along with using a Bitumastic sealer.I realise sikaflex 522 etc are good products but not what I wanted to use...caraflex comes from hull

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I prefer to use the sealant as per makers used at the date of manufacture.incidently I believe it's used by sealsdirect on new window rubbers.As you will no doubt be aware when removing all the aluminium rails cleaning,replacing old screws with stainless steel and replacing screw cover trim I decided to go along with using a Bitumastic sealer.I realise sikaflex 522 etc are good products but not what I wanted to use...caraflex comes from hull
Given the frequency of leaks even in modern caravans it may be prudent to try to improve on what the makers use.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts