awning rail leak

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all need some advice from you seasoned caravaners last wk I set up on the seasonal pitch which all when well :) so with all the resent rain I just pop over pop over (130 mile round trip} and check the van low and be hold their is a very slight leak coming from the awning rail were the rubber seal has been joined the gap is about 3mm. 1,should I reseal the join inside and out and check for crack along the rail on the outside and reseal if any.2,strip the rail off and a total reseal
I have check for damp with a meter and it was on service in jan all was spot on I am also thinking the tension on the roof pole might have something to do with it :(

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
gravesyt said:
Hi all need some advice from you seasoned caravaners last wk I set up on the seasonal pitch which all when well :) so with all the resent rain I just pop over pop over (130 mile round trip} and check the van low and be hold their is a very slight leak coming from the awning rail were the rubber seal has been joined the gap is about 3mm. 1,should I reseal the join inside and out and check for crack along the rail on the outside and reseal if any.2,strip the rail off and a total reseal
I have check for damp with a meter and it was on service in jan all was spot on I am also thinking the tension on the roof pole might have something to do with it :(

When you say rubber seal do you mean the cover strip in the middle of the awning rail which is there mainly for the looks of the van and normally covers the screws holding the rail in, which in turn is not much to worry about, if it is damaged it can be replaced.
Or do you mean the seal between the awning rail and the body of the van as this would more than likely be silicone, if it is that it is not recommended to patch/reseal onto old mastic as it will not adhere to it.
The true answer would be to remove the rail, clean it all up and re-seal, with new silicone. Some say you will need to replace the rail as well, but if you do it two handed and do it with care it can be done.
Also if the rail is sealed properly outside there would be no need to seal inside the van.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Gagakev it is the seal between rail and body and its were the they have joined the piece together why they never used one piece is beyond me so it has to be :( i'll have to drag it back home for repair but will have to do it after the Easter Hols or no eggs for me :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You say its on the join, has both sides lifted? If so you would have to do both lengths!!
How old is the van? Would it all be worth doing any way?
Got to admit it is a lot of work for the small area you are describing, maybe wait and see if someone has a differant approch,
In the meantime dont know what your forecast is but maybe use a bit of silicone (clear maybe) over the joint just to do a temporary repair for now.
You will also need to source caravan dedicated adhesive/bonding such as Soudall or Sikaflex (there are others).
If you go the whole hog and replace source the same size screw's in stainless steel and fix them back in another location (redrilling awning rail) so as to get a new fixing, BUT remember to fill the OLD holes as well.
Good Luck.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
looking at it the rubber seal under the awning rail its not one complete length as it should be were they have joined them together their is a gap of 3mm that's were the slight leak is.I have some soudal rv61 so might do a pressure seal and force it from the inside of the awning and use a sealer on the outside then monitor it for the time being from the inside of the van with my damp meter to make Shaw it not causing any damage
Thanks gagakev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts