Awning Tie Down Kits

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have recently bought a 920cm Bradcot Classic, with alloy frame, awning which I bought for use with my Avondale Landranger. In the instructions there is a clear warning that "tie-down kits" should not be used with the anwning as this likely to damage the awning/frame and will invalidate the guarantee.

The Bradcot does not seem to have any provision for attaching tie-down straps unlike some makes

What do Bradcot awning owners do when there is the likelihood of rough weather?

I have an Fiamma Tie-down kit which I used with my previous van and awning. I used 3 "W4" anti-friction sleeving pieces with this to stop the tie-down strap chaffing the awning canvas one piece above the side horizontal poles and one above the cenre horizontal pole. Is it feasible to use these with the Bradcot?

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Tim,

I have a 930cm Bradcot Active (the cheaper version of the classic) with steel poles. We recently went to Anglesey and left the in-laws with the van for a week with junior. Before we left I put on our tie-down strap which I had bought that week (had never used one before) as some "rough" weather was forecast. I too was worried about abrasion so put some soft foam pipe-lagging under the 3 main horizontal poles, also mindful of the Bradcot advice.

3 days later the in-laws rang to say they were glad about the strap as that night, 3 other outfits had lost their awnings, 1 with a pole throught the side of the van.

My theory is although Bradcot won't cover you for abrasion, would they cover you for a lost/written-off awning after a storm ? I doubt it ! Just take care of the contact points and my belief is the benefits are well worth the risks. I will be using mine in the future but probably only when the weather looks iffy !

Jonathan.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Bradcot awning, and Bradcot recommend tying guys around the top of the poles on the inside of the awning, not on the short porch extensions, and diagonally tensioning to the ground.

We have used this method and it seems to work OK.

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
I have a bradcot with steel frame and use the tie down type straps that fit the side connections of some other makes.(isabella / dorema etc.).I just undoe the buckle on the strap and take it round the frame and out through the hole that the small roof supports go through,then peg them down with the large pegs and springs that come with them.This is the same attachment that Bradcot advises for guy ropes.Never had a problem with this in two years when others were blowing down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim

I have a 920cm Bradcot Classic and have used it for the last two winters. It has stood in some pretty strong wind in that time. I have not used a tie down because as you say it would invalidate the warranty.

The one advantage with the Bradcot is that you can increase the number of wall pegs as much as you like because the pegging points are a slide on type so you can add as many as you want. I always use extra pegs on the windward side and also use guy ropes attached as Damian says, from the main pole joints not the end of the extension.

If you think of the way that the tie down kit works it is far more efficient to reinforce all along the bottom edge than to put a strap over the top of the awning in a single position.

If you are concerned at any time it is sometimes possible to place your car on that side to act as a wind barrier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you ever seen a tent with a tie down of any sort? No? so why do awnings need them? I had 2 Trios and now have an Isabella. I've never used a tie down just lots of old fashioned guy ropes - when the need arises

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

We were up in Gairloch in June and had the most horrendous wind. We actually had to use two tie down kits, one right over the awning, and the locking ones that attach to the awning itself.

Needless to say, due to the agitation of the awning, all the pegs came up on one end, rock pegs come to that. All I can say is, thank goodness it was well strapped down otherwise I think we may have lost it.

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
I was about to post a message similar to this about my NR Pulman awning. This has a piece of webbing off the corners with a D ring in it. I have asked NR what to use & all they would say was to use guy lines from these attachments. I'm dubious about this, but am concerned about using an over the top tie down. Any advice from NR users would be very welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have a Bradcot Classic 960 with alloy quick assemble frame. The centre poles have been damaged twice during, not too srong, winds. On the first occasion Bradcot replaced the complete set of poles. The second time they refused stating the awning should not be erected during any type of windy weather.

The outlet I bought it from sold me a new centre sectio, having them in stock because of the high demand for replacements.

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
Tim,

I have a 930cm Bradcot Active (the cheaper version of the classic) with steel poles. We recently went to Anglesey and left the in-laws with the van for a week with junior. Before we left I put on our tie-down strap which I had bought that week (had never used one before) as some "rough" weather was forecast. I too was worried about abrasion so put some soft foam pipe-lagging under the 3 main horizontal poles, also mindful of the Bradcot advice.

3 days later the in-laws rang to say they were glad about the strap as that night, 3 other outfits had lost their awnings, 1 with a pole throught the side of the van.

My theory is although Bradcot won't cover you for abrasion, would they cover you for a lost/written-off awning after a storm ? I doubt it ! Just take care of the contact points and my belief is the benefits are well worth the risks. I will be using mine in the future but probably only when the weather looks iffy !

Jonathan.
hi,we live on anglesey,and it is a very good idea to tie your awning down,even if bad weather is not forecast.the wind can get up quickly,the difference can be in hours.before we moved here,we holidayed here,one time the wind ripped all the awning rubbers off as it was not tied down.

Oct 26, 2005
Visit site
We have just bought our first caravan a compass rallye 2 months ago the partner and the kids have been in scarbrough this week in it and 2 nights ago the brand new bradcot classic awning we bought was blown to pieces and it all but destroyed the brand new quick fit alloy poles and damaged my car and frightened the kids half to death. the awning its self will survive but the poles are scrap. going to attempt to get bradcot to replace but not sure if that will happen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went to Stowford Farm last year with two other couples. We all had NR awnings, two of us used tie down straps with the protective foam pads, the other used his strap without the pads. Two days later the one without the pads had worn through the fabric and the others were fine......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts