Awning

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Taking the children for the first time since we got caravan in 3 weeks,so will need to put up the awning,I'm thinking it would would be a good idea to book 1 night at are local campsite without the children to have a practice at putting awning up. Going to colour code the poles to make it easier as I've heard that getting the poles right is the hardest bit as anyone else done this and was it successfull.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RileyAnn said:
Taking the children for the first time since we got caravan in 3 weeks,so will need to put up the awning,I'm thinking it would would be a good idea to book 1 night at are local campsite without the children to have a practice at putting awning up. Going to colour code the poles to make it easier as I've heard that getting the poles right is the hardest bit as anyone else done this and was it successfull.

Yes a good idea on both counts.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Raywood said:
Sounds a good idea. If you get stuck just ask for help as most people are happy to do this.

Yes we done this the first time before we erected ours , ours was a big full-size isabella awning and what a faf on we were ready to pack up then next on their pitches said they had an idea so helped out but after about an hour sorting things out we got it up & after that it was up no bother each time after that .

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Putting up a full size awning for the first time can be a little tricky, but after doing it a few times it becomes much easier.

Having a "trial run" either at a local campsite or in the garden if its accessible is a great idea.

For my first trial ( many moons ago now) I used magic markers to mark each pole with its position and an arrow for its directio, so to speak.

The magic markers soon wore off, but thankfully by this time I had got it more or less sorted out in my mind, however I did see in our local DIY shop 5 rolls of insulating tape (all in different colours) and at only £1 for all 5 rolls) so these replaced the magic markers.

I'm an old dog now (been a pensioner for quite a few years and not in the best of health anymore) but I can still put up our full size awning from start to finish in under an hour.

My secret was to ask Mrs paws to take the dog for a walk whilst I got on with putting it up, and to politely decline all offers of "help" from neighbouring caravanners:
that may sound counter intuitive but well meaning folks who try to help with an unfamiliar (to them) awning can actually confuse and delay the process considerably..... when the awning is up offer the well meaning help a cup of tea or a glass of wine so they are not offended by your politely expressed words indicating that you are OK etc...
Good luck with your first trip
Regards
paws

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely the right idea,,buy a cheap pack of insulating tape from Aldi or Wilko ( other outlets are available ) they come in different colours, and off you go, and it won't fade with time.
We did this and it makes things so much easier.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes the correct thing to do, I would rather struggle with the awning myself than have the better half help, its the "Divorce in the bag stuff" others will help and its better than talking to wifey or hubby. . Who ever is NOT putting it make sure there is a Cup of tea/coffee or in my case cold beer ready when the awning is erected.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Yes the correct thing to do, I would rather struggle with the awning myself than have the better half help, its the "Divorce in the bag stuff" others will help and its better than talking to wifey or hubby. . Who ever is NOT putting it make sure there is a Cup of tea/coffee or in my case cold beer ready when the awning is erected.

Your last sentence must be a typo where it says a cold beer when it is erected .... stuff that mate , my can is cracked open before the bag is unzipped ;)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:

Your last sentence must be a typo where it says a cold beer when it is erected .... stuff that mate , my can is cracked open before the bag is unzipped ;)

With you mate First Beer cracked as soon as the caravan is levelled and electrics hooked up,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good idea to have a practice run first. I think a full size is easier to put up than a porch - or at least the traditional pole and fabric type of porrch - don't know about inflatables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts