Awnings and windy weather.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where we are it been very windy i have been talking to some seasonal caravanners some have loss there awnings so we are not taking the risk with our new one ..

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
After bad experiences with two air awnings, Kampa and Bradcot, I wouldnt consider another but I do like the Isabella airbeam veranda poles. I bet theres many a Kampa owner who wishes theirs had these to keep their awnings knees apart. Seen several Kampas on site with broom handles and plastic waste pipes contrived to do the same job.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cannot really say we have only had one make that a Vango Air porch awning it came with 3 years warranty so if anything wrong I will send it back ;)

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Our very first caravan came with an awning, an old cotton Bradcot, and on our first trip I put the thing up in a gale. Stupid thing to do looking back, but I thought for of us could hold it down and get the pegs in. All of a sudden there was a ripping sound and yours truly was left with two small handfulls of maroon cotton and the awning heading for space. The material was probably rotten but even so.

Nowadays, if we are caught by extreme winds, I would always try to leave the awning up, less dangerous to the caravan than trying to take it down in those conditions.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
We always take ours down in winds forecast to be over 30mph, a figure
given to us on a site in Anglesy whose owner had this rule. We learnt the hard way in North Berwick when the wind got up over night and we took the awning down At 3am before it self destructed. We then stayed at Eye Kettleby in gales and a group of us took 8 awnings down of owners out for the day. Two were shredded the others survived our quick take down, the shower block became an awning superstore! Lots of grateful owners and two sad ones. The site owners were great, even phoning one vanner.
I find weather forecasts to be generally good except for wind speed and direction,these things seem to change and the weather people can't forecast these changes.T any one time there is always wind somewhere in the UK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts