Awnings which overlap windows.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has been looking at non full size awnings just to get a feel for what is out there. I notice in several makers adverts that the vertical sides of some awnings are shown coming down over the caravans windows. Its generally the front lounge area window where this seems to be a feature. On our last caravan we had a midi awning (Isabella Magnum) which came down between the door and front side window. So it didn't touch the window.

If the vertical side of an awning does touch the window how do they prevent scratching?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
It was a deal breaker for us last time. We said if the Magnum didn't fit without touching the window we wouldn't have the van. Luckily it did fit between the window and door at the front and gas locker and window at the rear. Personally I don't see how you can prevent scratches if the awning goes over the window so I would not consider an awning that did.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had this problem twice when the porch awning went across the kitchen window. We did make sure the canvas was against the window and had no problems but it did need care and checking on to make sure the canvas had not moved. If buying new though I would not buy one that did this. Basically you need to know the dimensions the caravan can accept and those best avoided.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
We had a porch awning for about 5 years, the side of which unavoidably ran across the toilet window - I simply placed a short length of 15mm pipe insilation on the edge of the canvas - and never had a scratch.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
When we ordered the caravan at the NEC and also ordered an awning; the awfully nice chap on the Bradcot stand leant us a long tape measure, pad of paper and a pen to enable us to go back to the caravan assemblers stand and measure up.

It's not just windows and doors, but also outer locker doors that awning can encroach on. The opening of the main door might need to be considered in case the slope of the awning roof, or air beams infringe at the top. Ours doesn't.

We have a Bradcot Aspire Air 390 on a Sterling Continental 570 that fits with the front of the awning between lounge window and door and leaves access to the rearward locker with ease. With it being a non full awning, the outside 240v power socket is outside the awning, but doesn't cause any issues as we don't run a fan heater in the awning :p :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I agree that the best is to find an awning that fits between the various bits of the caravan, so when we finally decide what van to buy in spring unless it comes with an awing I will wait until I can take precise measurements. Having now experienced the benefits of erecting an air beam tent compared to my carbon fibre pole tent, any future van awning will be air beam. It could prolong my marriage for many years to come.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts