Axle upgrade questions -alko 2051 hubs

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have owned a few folding campers (Dandy's) and folding caravans (Rapido's). As luck would have it, other than tyre replacement, I've not had to do any work on the running gear (we change units quite regularly and non have been due for service in our ownership). We have recently bought a 20 year old Eriba caravan and although a bit of a bargain, it needs an axle upgrade - it has a pitiful payload of 120kg

I'm trying to figure out the technical aspects of this (it's a new axle, not a replating exercise).

My current question is about the hubs - could I transfer my alko 4 stud 2051 hubs from my B1000 axle to a B1200 axle fitted with 5 stud 2051 hubs (if I can't get a 4 stud one?

Also, will my existing brake cables be a straight swap onto the new axle?

Thanks in advance if anyone could advise.

The reason for asking is to see whether I can reuse my existing expensive wheels, just fitted with new tyres!

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey up and welcome.
I’d expect that it would be upto Eriba or even Alko to advise best on this one to be honest., good luck though and I hope you get sorted.

Kev

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Eriba Owners Club might be a source of information. I would be surprised if Alko will give you any support given liability considerations. Western Towing are also very knowledgeable on kit. But a 20 year old design might challenge even them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Later Eribas have up to 360 kg payload. Maybe worth looking at them and seeing what axle and other alterations have been made to cope for the increased allowance?

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks guys, it does seem to be a minefield.

I have found some useful German eriba forums where they have successfully adapted off the shelf alko 1350kg axles to upgrade the existing, which having had a look underneath seems to be pretty much custom made.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As you are changing the specifications of the caravan you may need a Certificate of Compliance for the upgraded version. The other issue is insurance as it is no longer standard, you may noit be able to insure it and may even have issues with third party claims on car insurance so be very careful.

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
As you are changing the specifications of the caravan you may need a Certificate of Compliance for the upgraded version. The other issue is insurance as it is no longer standard, you may noit be able to insure it and may even have issues with third party claims on car insurance so be very careful.

Yes. Given its age I believe it's exempt from type approval and, as I believe the existing rubber is quite relaxed after 19 years it could be considered a repair by replacement with the current equivalent of an obsolete part.

I've found a German forum where others have done exactly what I propose - a promenant German engineering/axle/trailer supplier explains which new parts are required and how to make them fit - it's pretty much just some very basic (over) engineering involving steel plates and HT bolts to marry up the different mounting holes on the new axle to the existing chassis, and well within my capabilities.

I understand I could pay £90 for a IVA, but I'm not sure if that's a legal requirement but I'll investigate further if I go down this route.

Another alternative I've looked into is getting the existing re-rubbered by Fraser Brown engineering, who advised that the could increase the capacity by at least 10%, and as much as 13% (depending on how much more of their rubber they can fit in the axle tube!) but they won't replate the axle so although it would (if you believe him, and he does seem to know what he's talking about) be safe to load to 1100kg it wouldn't be "legal" - I think I'd rather take my chances with VOSA with a "1350kg" axle plate.

My model was available from the factory with a 1200kg option (bigger axle/tyres) but otherwise identical so this would be my personal "limit", though I believe as mentioned above that the latest models have grown fat with age and can now be optioned up to 1400kg on the same basic chassis.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts