Apr 19, 2005
Visit site
I am new to towing caravans and have now got a tow car 2 litre omega auto,I have towed boats and stuff, Can someone discuss the pro's and cons of single and twin axle vans, Whty do some have twin axles on what seem similar vans.

Thanks Dick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
R - it's all about the weight the tyres can carry, and I suspect a bit of fashion/marketing cutting in. Most vans of a body length of 5.60 metres or more tend to be twins. Manufacturers treat twins as top of their range models so they tend to be better specified - and priced accordingly! You'll need to be an expert reverser as they're impossible to manoevre by hand or fit a motor mover, and you'll need a big tug as many have very high MTPLM's beyond your car's kerbweight. Having said that we used to tow a Lunar Delta 560/5 with a 2.0 litre Omega Estate (about 90% match) with no problem, but we hardly ever used 5th and had to use the gears a lot up hills. Singles are lighter and much easier to move on site, and cheaper to service too. Some French sites can be a bit sniffy about taking twins as they associate them with travellers, although we never had any problem. You pays your money & takes your choice.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts